Integrated Digital Media
Creative practice, design research and multidisciplinary experimentation with emerging media technologies
The Integrated Digital Media (IDM) Program fosters creative practice, design research and multidisciplinary experimentation with emerging media technologies. Located within Tandon School of Engineering, in the Department of Technology, Culture, and Society (TCS), IDM is a ‘STEAM‘ program combining artistic inquiry with scientific research and technological practice to explore the social, cultural and ethical potentials of emerging technologies. More about IDM ...
Learn More About IDM
The world of digital media is growing exponentially
Information for current students
IDM Thesis Projects
Visit the IDM Showcase Thesis Project website
Our faculty and students collaborate with others across NYU in research that integrates digital media and society. These projects range from:
- Motion capture: using motion capture technology to reimagine theatrical performance
- Virtual/augmented reality: developing novel uses of virtual/augmented reality for health and wellness
- STEAM education: integrating STEAM learning into special needs education
- Citizen science: developing citizen science tools to empower NYC residents to monitor and report on noise pollution in their communities
- Flooding and the urban microbiome: an interdisciplinary trio of faculty study the ramifications of urban flooding on sewage pathogens
Based at NYU's School of Engineering located along Brooklyn's Innovation Coastline, our program is an integral part of the tech scene in the borough — and throughout the city.
Offering wide-ranging coursework in technology, engineering, design, and art, we open pathways for multidisciplinary exploration and inspiration. Our students share space with students, researchers, artists, and innovators from a variety of NYU programs and schools, including Center for Urban Science and Progress, Tisch School of the Arts, Steinhardt. Melding programming and design, they learn to build the tools they need to bring their groundbreaking visions to life.