The Unconventional Engineer
Volume 2: Intersections | 2020-2021
Letter from the Dean
At Tandon, we’ve long recognized that innovation occurs not only within disciplines, but at the intersections between them, and while not “staying in our lanes’’ can be messy and, at times, downright uncomfortable, some of our most exciting work is occurring in areas where different knowledge bases and skill sets are coming together in novel ways to solve a particular issue.
As dean, I’m in the lucky position of witnessing this unconventional web of partnerships being forged — across departments, schools, fields, and even continents — to advance areas of vital importance. I’ve been watching our faculty, students, and alumni pull together to build creative and smart, connected and secure, sustainable and healthy, urban communities. And while Tandon is home to people of many different backgrounds, areas of expertise, and ways of working, it’s becoming clearer and clearer to me what we all have in common: an uncommon willingness to leverage those differences to make real progress in advancingly difficult but worthy areas. And that gives me great hope for the future.
Celebrating uncommon achievements in an uncommon year
Despite an undeniably challenging year, NYU Tandon continued to rack up major achievements thanks to our collaborative way of working.
- A leap of 44 positions since 2009 to #36 in the 2022 U.S. News and World Report Best Graduate Engineering School Rankings
- A 450% increase in research expenditures over the last decade
- Increased gender parity, with women making up 46% of the class of 2023
- 97% of undergraduate students receiving job offers or entering graduate school within 6 months after graduation
- Recent undergraduates’ starting salaries 29% above national average for STEM
- #1 computer graphics and visualization program in the country according to CSRankings
- Top-5 cybersecurity master’s degree programs according to CSO
- #1 civil engineering masters according to Intelligent.com
- #2 best master’s of financial engineering program according to TFE Times and top-5 quant finance master’s programs on Risk.net
- #5 Top Augmented/Virtual Reality (AR/VR) College in the U.S. according to Animation Career Review
We make AI systems smarter & fairer
We make cities better places to work and play
We make our planet more sustainable
We make major leaps in wireless
We make health care better, from check-up to check-out
We make software and supply chains safer... and the cybersecurity workforce of the future more robust
We make the world more accessible — and more exciting
We rethink online education to expand access to advanced engineering degrees
What are our Unconventional Engineers Capable of?
NYU Tandon is home to unconventional engineers — a vibrant group of researchers, students, technologists, and innovators working at the intersections of vital fields to engineer creative and smart, connected and secure, sustainable and healthy urban communities.