Using technology to create meaningful and engaging digital experiences
Our research combines experimental practices in media arts and engineering, constantly modifying industry-standard technologies and creating new ones.
The Brooklyn Experimental Media Center (BxmC) is the research arm of IDM at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. The BxmC provides an interdisciplinary environment for media research at NYU Tandon, partnering faculty and students from the Integrated Digital Media program with collaborators from across NYU, New York City, and beyond.
Graduate students in IDM participate in research initiatives through the BxmC, and in our partnerships with other programs and schools at NYU as well as schools throughout New York City who participate in the NYC Media Lab.
Some of our top research areas include:
- Assistive Technology
- Augmented and Virtual Reality
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Motion Capture
- Real-Time Performance
- Social Activism and Civic Technology
- User Experience (UX)
Our faculty and students collaborate with others across NYU in research that integrates digital media and society. These projects range from:
- Motion capture: using motion capture technology to reimagine theatrical performance
- Virtual/augmented reality: developing novel uses of virtual/augmented reality for health and wellness
- STEAM education: integrating STEAM learning into special needs education
- Citizen science: developing citizen science tools to empower NYC residents to monitor and report on noise pollution in their communities
- Flooding and the urban microbiome: an interdisciplinary trio of faculty study the ramifications of urban flooding on sewage pathogens
IDM Thesis Projects
Visit the IDM Showcase Thesis Project website
A unique research center that uses New York City as its Laboratory to help cities.
The NYU Tandon Future Labs are business incubators for a new generation.