Elza Erkip an Institute Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at New York University Tandon School of Engineering. She received the B.S. degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA. Her research interests are in information theory, communication theory, and wireless communications.
Dr. Erkip is a member of the Science Academy of Turkey and is among Clarivate Highly Cited Researchers. She received the NSF CAREER award in 2001, the IEEE Communications Society WICE Outstanding Achievement Award in 2016, and the IEEE Communications Society Communication Theory Technical Committee (CTTC) Technical Achievement Award in 2018. Her paper awards include the IEEE Communications Society Stephen O. Rice Paper Prize in 2004, the IEEE Communications Society Award for Advances in Communication in 2013 and the IEEE Communications Society Best Tutorial Paper Award in 2019. She has been a member of the Board of Governors of the IEEE Information Theory Society since 2012 where she was the Society President in 2018. She was a Distinguished Lecturer of the IEEE Information Theory Society from 2013 to 2014.
Dr. Erkip has had many editorial and conference organization responsibilities. Some recent ones include Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, MIMO Communications and Signal Processing Track Chair in 2017, IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference Technical Co-Chair in 2017, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications Guest Editor in 2015, and IEEE International Symposium of Information Theory General Co-Chair in 2013.
Middle East Technical University, Turkey 1990
Bachelor of Science, Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Stanford University, 1993
Master of Science, Electrical Engineering
Stanford University, 1996
Doctor of Philosophy, Electrical Engineering
- IEEE Communications Society Best Tutorial Paper Award, 2019.
- IEEE Information Theory Society, President, 2018.
- IEEE Communications Society Communication Theory Technical Committee (CTTC) Technical Achievement Award, 2018.
- IEEE Communications Society WICE Outstanding Achievement Award, 2016.
- Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher, 2014, 2015.
- IEEE Communications Society Award for Advances in Communication, 2013.
- Science Academy of Turkey, 2013.
- IEEE Fellow, 2011.
- IEEE Communications Society Stephen O. Rice Paper Prize in the Field of Communication Theory, 2004.
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2001.