Eligibility, Application, and Selection
The Global Leaders and Scholars in STEM program is an invite-only admissions process. Selected first-year individuals with a 3.5 GPA and above will be invited to apply.
- Students who were not referred to the program and invited to apply are not eligible.
- Transfer students are not eligible.
- No applications for appeals can be submitted.
For further information on this process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
An invitation will be sent to eligible first-year students in mid-January 2022.
Application deadline: March 1, 2022, at 11:59 pm
Interested applicants must submit the following items as part of the application:
- Faculty recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Essay and prompts on NYU Tandon Areas of Excellence: Students should research the NYU Tandon Areas of Excellence and consider its global impact, related to the National Academy of Engineering Grand Challenges for Engineering, United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- Short answers regarding plans to fulfill the GLASS requirements
- Optional e-portfolio of prior relevant work
Examples of Engineering Research with a Global Impact that students can explore as part of the program include, but are not limited to:
- Developing environmentally friendly, safe, and affordable energy solutions and mitigating impact from fossil fuels (e.g., solar power, nuclear fusion, carbon dioxide capture, nitrogen cycle management, quality and availability of clean drinking water).
- Developing and increasing access to new and better medicines and vaccines; computerizing health information to assist with disease control, prevention, and treatment.
- Finding sustainable and ecologically responsible ways of restoring aging infrastructures and services; developing countermeasures for earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters; innovating ways to make the cities of the future smart and resilient.
- Designing systems to secure cyberspace that are effective and user-friendly; developing technologies to protect computer systems from cyber attacks.
- Broadening access to wireless service and increasingly sophisticated wireless communications (e.g., 5G mobile); developing innovations in the areas of telecommunications, signal processing, and networking that improve everyday life.
- Data Science/AI/Robotics
- Harnessing the collective power of data, machine learning techniques, and autonomous systems to address global issues.
- Emerging Media
- Exploring and developing world-changing technologies that combine creative practice, experimentation, media design, and engineering.
A small group of applicants will be invited for interviews with program leadership, after which finalists will be offered admission to the program.