Nikhil Gupta joined the NYU-Tandon School of Engineering faculty in 2004 and currently serves as Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. He is also affiliated with the Department of Civil and Urban Engineering and Center for Cybersecurity.
His research focuses on advanced materials, with current projects related to developing new security methods for 3D printing, developing filaments of advanced composites and understanding the fundamental principles of materials characterization methods leading to new and more efficient characterization techniques.
He has presented over 50 keynote and invited lectures and authored 21 book chapters, over 165 journal articles, and 75 conference publications and presentations. He has also written or edited 4 books.
A 1996 graduate of the Malaviya National Institute of Technology in Jaipur, India, Gupta earned a Master of Engineering in Metallurgical Engineering (1998) from the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore, India and a PhD in Engineering Science (2003) from Louisiana State University.
Gupta is the recipient of several awards including the 2013-ASM Silver Medal, 2013-TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award, 2007 and 2009 Visiting Lectureship Award from the American Society for Metals-Indian Institute of Metals, the Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship administered by the American Society of Engineering Education, and the Junior Faculty Fellow, Othmer Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies, NYU-Tandon School of Engineering.
He served as the Chair of the Composites Materials Committee of TMS (2016-2019) and Membership Secretary of American Society for Composites. He is serving on the editorial board of Composites Part B: Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering A, Heliyon, Advanced Composites and Hybrid Materials and ASTM journal Materials Processing and Characterization.
Cybersecurity in manufacturing: design based security, product authentication methods, anti-reverse engineering technologies.
Additive manufacturing of complex and composite materials.
Materials characterization methods under dynamic loading.
Sensing of damage and structural health monitoring.
Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur 1996
Bachelor of Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering
Indian Institute of Science, 1998
Master of Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering
Louisiana State University, 2003
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering
NYU Tandon School of Engineering
Professor (2019- )
Associate Professor (2010-2019)
Assistant Professor (2004-2010)
Louisiana State University
Research Associate (2003-2004)
Research/Teaching Assistant (1999-2003)
Punjab Engineering College
- Omar, M. Y., Xiang, C., Gupta, N., Strbik III, O. M. and Cho, K. Syntactic foam core metal matrix sandwich composite: compressive properties and strain rate effects, Materials Science and Engineering A, 2015,643: p. 56-168.
- Omar, M. Y., Xiang, C., Gupta, N., Strbik III, O. M. and Cho, K. Syntactic foam core metal matrix sandwich composite under bending conditions. Materials & Design. 2015, 86: p. 536–544.
- Anantharaman, H., Shunmugasamy, V. C., Strbik III, O. M., Gupta, N. and Cho, K. Dynamic properties of silicon carbide hollow particle filled magnesium alloy (AZ91D) matrix syntactic foams. International Journal of Impact Engineering, August 2015, 82, p. 14–24.
- Luong, D. D., Shunmugasamy, V. C., Gupta, N., Lehmhus, D., Weise, J., and Baumeister, J. Quasi-static and high strain rates compressive response of iron and Invar matrix syntactic foams. Materials & Design, February 2015, 66(Part B, 5), p. 516-531.
- Licitra, L., Luong, D. D., Strbik III, O. M., and Gupta, N., Dynamic properties of alumina hollow particle filled aluminum alloy A356 matrix syntactic foams. Materials & Design, 2015, 66 (Part B): p. 504–515.
- Shunmugasamy, V.C., Zeltmann, S. E., Gupta, N., and Strbik III, O. M., Compressive characterization of single porous SiC hollow particles. JOM, 2014, 66(6): p. 892-897.
- Shapiro, M., Tovar, N. Yoo, D., Sobieraj, M., Gupta, N., Branski, R., and Coelho, P. G., Strain rate effects on the mechanical properties and fracture mode of skeletal muscle. Materials Science and Engineering C, 2014, 39, p. 100–104.
- Poveda, R. L. and Gupta, N. Carbon Nanofiber Reinforced Polymer Composites, Springer, September 2015, ISBN 978-3-319-23786-2.
- Gupta, N., Pinisetty, D., Shunmugasamy, V. C. Reinforced Syntactic Foams: Effect of Nano and Micro-Scale Reinforcement, Springer, September 2013, ISBN 978-3-319-01242-1.
- Gupta, N. and Rohatgi, P. K. (Editors) Metal Matrix Syntactic Foams: Processing, Microstructure, Properties and Applications, DesTech Publications (May 2014).
- Gupta, N. and Hunt, W. H. (Editors). Proceedings of the symposium “Solidification Processing of Metal Matrix Composites,” TMS Annual Meeting-2006, March 12-16, 2006, San Antonio, TX. ISBN: 978-0-87339-625-7.
- Rohatgi, P. K., Gupta, N. and Daoud, A. Synthesis and processing of cast metal matrix composites and their applications. ASM Handbook Vol. 15: Casting, 2008, pp. 1149-1164.
- Rohatgi, P. K., Schultz, B. F., Gupta, N. and Daoud, A. Solidification during casting of metal matrix composites. ASM Handbook Vol. 15: Casting, 2008, pp. 390-397.
See research projects at composites lab site
Ongoing Research Projects
- Improving manufacturability and security in additive manufacturing
- Syntactic foams for marine applications
- Fiber-optic sensors for structural health monitoring
- Dynamic properties of materials
Silver Medal Award 2013, ASM-International.
Young Professional Development Award 2013, The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS).
Featured on National Science Foundation Discoveries page: http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=117761&org=NSF.
Featured on National Science Foundation News From The Field page: http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=117510&org=ENG&from=newsField.
National Science Foundation Behind The Scene coverage: http://www.livescience.com/technology/bone-compression-injury-protective-gear-bts-100924.html.
Scientific American coverage and video: http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=smashed-rabbit-bones-hint-at-hidden-2010-08-17.
American Society for Metals – Indian Institute of Metals (ASM-IIM) Visiting Lecturership Award 2009.
Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, 2009 (administered by the American Society for Engineering Education).
American Society for Metals – Indian Institute of Metals (ASM-IIM) Visiting Lecturership Award 2007.
Junior Faculty Fellow, Othmer Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies, Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Brooklyn (2006-08).
Nikhil Gupta, Nguyen Q. Nguyen, Fiber-optic extensometer. US Patent #8,428,400, April 23, 2013.
Nikhil Gupta, Nguyen Q. Nguyen, Method for measuring the deformation of a specimen using a fiber optic extensometer. US Patent #8,649,638, February 11, 2014.
Nikhil Gupta and Vasanth Chakravarthy Shunmugasamy, Multifunctional syntactic foams, US Patent US9676916, 2017.