Nikhil Gupta joined the NYU-School of Engineering faculty in 2004 as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and was promoted to the rank of Associate Professor in 2010.
His research focuses on processing and structure property correlation for particulate composites; additive manufacturing methods; fiber-optic sensors for damage sensing in materials; and biomaterials and bio-inspired materials.
He has presented 50 keynote and invited lectures and authored 19 book chapters, over 150 journal articles, and 75 conference publications and presentations. He has also written or edited 4 books.
A 1996 graduate of the Malaviya National Institute of Technology in Jaipur, India, Gupta earned a Master of Engineering in Metallurgical Engineering (1998) from the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore, India and a PhD in Engineering Science (2003) from Louisiana State University.
Gupta is the recipient of several awards including the 2013-ASM Silver Medal, 2013-TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award, 2007 and 2009 Visiting Lectureship Award from the American Society for Metals-Indian Institute of Metals, the Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship administered by the American Society of Engineering Education, and the Junior Faculty Fellow, Othmer Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies, NYU-School of Engineering.
He is serving as the Chair of the Composites Materials Committee of TMS as well as an editorial board member of Composites Part B: Engineering, Elsevier, Materials Science and Engineering A, Advanced Composites and Hybrid Materials and ASTM journal Materials Processing and Characterization.
Multifunctional micro and nano-composites materials.
Sensing of damage and structural health monitoring.
Biomaterials and bioinspired materials.
Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur 1996
Bachelor of Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering
Indian Institute of Science, 1998
Master of Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering
Louisiana State University, 2003
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering
NYU Tandon School of Engineering
From: September 2010 to present
NYU Tandon School of Engineering
From: September 2004 to September 2010
Louisiana State University
From: August 2003 to August 2004
Louisiana State University
From: August 1999 to June 2003
Punjab Engineering College
From: June 1998 to June 1999
- Omar, M. Y., Xiang, C., Gupta, N., Strbik III, O. M. and Cho, K. Syntactic foam core metal matrix sandwich composite: compressive properties and strain rate effects, Materials Science and Engineering A, 2015,643: p. 56-168.
- Omar, M. Y., Xiang, C., Gupta, N., Strbik III, O. M. and Cho, K. Syntactic foam core metal matrix sandwich composite under bending conditions. Materials & Design. 2015, 86: p. 536–544.
- Anantharaman, H., Shunmugasamy, V. C., Strbik III, O. M., Gupta, N. and Cho, K. Dynamic properties of silicon carbide hollow particle filled magnesium alloy (AZ91D) matrix syntactic foams. International Journal of Impact Engineering, August 2015, 82, p. 14–24.
- Luong, D. D., Shunmugasamy, V. C., Gupta, N., Lehmhus, D., Weise, J., and Baumeister, J. Quasi-static and high strain rates compressive response of iron and Invar matrix syntactic foams. Materials & Design, February 2015, 66(Part B, 5), p. 516-531.
- Licitra, L., Luong, D. D., Strbik III, O. M., and Gupta, N., Dynamic properties of alumina hollow particle filled aluminum alloy A356 matrix syntactic foams. Materials & Design, 2015, 66 (Part B): p. 504–515.
- Shunmugasamy, V.C., Zeltmann, S. E., Gupta, N., and Strbik III, O. M., Compressive characterization of single porous SiC hollow particles. JOM, 2014, 66(6): p. 892-897.
- Shapiro, M., Tovar, N. Yoo, D., Sobieraj, M., Gupta, N., Branski, R., and Coelho, P. G., Strain rate effects on the mechanical properties and fracture mode of skeletal muscle. Materials Science and Engineering C, 2014, 39, p. 100–104.
- Poveda, R. L. and Gupta, N. Carbon Nanofiber Reinforced Polymer Composites, Springer, September 2015, ISBN 978-3-319-23786-2.
- Gupta, N., Pinisetty, D., Shunmugasamy, V. C. Reinforced Syntactic Foams: Effect of Nano and Micro-Scale Reinforcement, Springer, September 2013, ISBN 978-3-319-01242-1.
- Gupta, N. and Rohatgi, P. K. (Editors) Metal Matrix Syntactic Foams: Processing, Microstructure, Properties and Applications, DesTech Publications (May 2014).
- Gupta, N. and Hunt, W. H. (Editors). Proceedings of the symposium “Solidification Processing of Metal Matrix Composites,” TMS Annual Meeting-2006, March 12-16, 2006, San Antonio, TX. ISBN: 978-0-87339-625-7.
- Rohatgi, P. K., Gupta, N. and Daoud, A. Synthesis and processing of cast metal matrix composites and their applications. ASM Handbook Vol. 15: Casting, 2008, pp. 1149-1164.
- Rohatgi, P. K., Schultz, B. F., Gupta, N. and Daoud, A. Solidification during casting of metal matrix composites. ASM Handbook Vol. 15: Casting, 2008, pp. 390-397.
See research projects at composites lab site
Ongoing Research Projects
- Improving manufacturability and security in additive manufacturing
- Syntactic foams for marine applications
- Fiber-optic sensors for structural health monitoring
- Dynamic properties of materials
Silver Medal Award 2013, ASM-International.
Young Professional Development Award 2013, The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS).
Featured on National Science Foundation Discoveries page: http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=117761&org=NSF.
Featured on National Science Foundation News From The Field page: http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=117510&org=ENG&from=newsField.
National Science Foundation Behind The Scene coverage: http://www.livescience.com/technology/bone-compression-injury-protective-gear-bts-100924.html.
Scientific American coverage and video: http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=smashed-rabbit-bones-hint-at-hidden-2010-08-17.
American Society for Metals – Indian Institute of Metals (ASM-IIM) Visiting Lecturership Award 2009.
Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, 2009 (administered by the American Society for Engineering Education).
American Society for Metals – Indian Institute of Metals (ASM-IIM) Visiting Lecturership Award 2007.
Junior Faculty Fellow, Othmer Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies, Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Brooklyn (2006-08).
Nikhil Gupta, Nguyen Q. Nguyen, Fiber-optic extensometer. US Patent #8,428,400, April 23, 2013.
Nikhil Gupta, Nguyen Q. Nguyen, Method for measuring the deformation of a specimen using a fiber optic extensometer. US Patent #8,649,638, February 11, 2014.
Nikhil Gupta and Vasanth Chakravarthy Shunmugasamy, Multifunctional syntactic foams, US Patent US9676916, 2017.