At NYU Tandon, students have numerous and diverse opportunities to engage in research that discovers solutions to real-world problems.
Vertically Integrated Projects (VIP)
The Vertically Integrated Projects (VIP) program provides a multi-year, integrated approach to learning that emphasizes project-based, interdisciplinary, research-active education. It provides an opportunity to learn and practice professional skills while making real-world contributions.
Selected students (sophomores to graduate students) will work together in teams on research projects with faculty from Tandon and other schools within NYU. With an intended commitment of at least three semesters, the long-term nature of the project allows for opportunities for mentorship as well as leadership.
Summer Research Programs at NYU Tandon
For NYU Students & Select Students from Other Universities
Each summer, members of NYU Tandon faculty open up their labs to allow rising junior and senior undergraduate students 10 weeks of hands-on research under faculty mentorship.
Numerous STEM research programs open to undergraduate students are available throughout the country. Search for programs by discipline or geography using Pathways to Science. Listed below are a few select programs:
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) - National Science Foundation
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship - US Department of Energy
- Summer Research Early Identification Program - The Leadership Alliance
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) - National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Dwight David Eisenhower Transportation Fellowship Program - US Department of Transportation
NEW for 2021: Graduate Summer Research Experience
For the first time at this scale, incoming Tandon graduate students will have the opportunity to engage in paid summer research internships with mentorship from Tandon faculty. Graduate students selected for this experience will have the opportunity to get involved in cutting-edge research during the summer of 2021, allowing new students to develop their research skills and add to their resumes in unique and meaningful ways.
The new Graduate Summer Research Experience is available to all Fall 2020 incoming NYU Tandon master students who maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5* for the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters. All applicants must begin their program in Fall 2020 remotely or in-person and enroll in at least 18 total credits across the Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Summer 2021 semesters. Interested applicants can fill out the online application by Monday, August 10th, 2020. If you have any questions about this new experience and would like to meet with a member of the Graduate Admissions team to discuss, please sign up for an appointment.
*FRE applicants must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA that falls in the top half of the FRE class.
- NYU Libraries Grants and Proposals Guide is geared primarily for individuals seeking grants, fellowships, and scholarships from external organizations to support their education or research.
- Both the School of Engineering's Office of Sponsored Programs and NYU's Office of Sponsored Programs provide information about research funding opportunities.
Fellowship Opportunities in STEM
Visit Tandon's Fellowship Opportunities website.
Search for programs by discipline or geography using Pathways to Science. Listed below are a few select programs:
- Graduate Research Fellowship Program - National Science Foundation
- DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship - US Dept of Energy
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship - US Dept of Defense
- NASA Internships and Fellowships
- National Institutes of Health
- Office of Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) - US Dept of Energy
- Dwight David Eisenhower Transportation Graduate Fellowship - US Department of Transportation
International Summer Research: Practical Research Experience Program (PREP) at the Technical University of Munich (TUM)
Graduate students can apply for a 10-week summer program in Germany.
Research Expo is an annual public event at NYU Tandon which features exhibits that illustrate the scope of engineering and the applied sciences — and their potential for improving the world. Find out more and see lists of past projects at our Research Expo page.