Jin Kim Montclare is an Associate Professor in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, who is performing groundbreaking research in engineering proteins to mimic nature and, in some cases, work better than nature. She works to customize artificial proteins with the aim of targeting human disorders, drug delivery and tissue regeneration as well as create nanomaterials for electronics. Using multidisciplinary expertise in chemistry and genetic engineering, these results have already been realized.
Prior to joining NYU-Tandon, Montclare was a postdoctoral fellow at the California Institute of Technology in the Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering.
She received a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry from Fordham University in 1997, a Master of Science and a PhD in Bioorganic Chemistry from Yale University in 2001 and 2003, respectively.
Among her many honors and awards are the ACS Rising Star Award, Agnes Faye Morgan Research Award from Iota Sigma Pi, Executive Leadership in Academic Technology and Engineering Fellowship, American Chemical Society PROGRESS /Dreyfus Lectureship, the Dreyfus Special Grants Program Award, the Air Force Office of Scientific Research Young Investigator Award, the Wechsler Award for Excellence, the Othmer Junior Fellow Award, the National Institute’s of Health Postdoctoral Fellowship, and the National Science Foundation Pre-doctoral Fellowship.
Montclare is the author of numerous papers for refereed journals, colloquia, and seminars and holds several patents.
She is a member of the American Chemical Society, the International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering, the Biophysical Society, the Materials Research Society, the Biochemical Society, the Protein Society and American Association of Cancer Research, and the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
MS, PhD, Bioorganic Chemistry
NYU Tandon School of Engineering
The Protein Engineering and Molecular Design Lab began July 2005. Broadly, our lab is focused on engineering macromolecules. The long-term goal of our lab research is to be able to predictably design or engineer artificial therapeutics, biocatalysts, scaffolds and cells. We seek to provide biologically inspired solutions to address the challenges of human disorder treatment and medicine, sustainable energy and environmental remediation.
From: July 2005 to present
California Institute of Technology
Worked in the laboratory of Professor David Tirrell on evolving proteins bearing unnatural amino acids.
From: January 2003 to July 2005
- Min Dai,† Joseph A. Frezzo,† Etka Sharma, Raymond Chen, Navjot Singh, Carlo Yuvienco, Elif Caglar, Shu Xiao, Anjana Saxena & Jin K. Montclare (2016) Engineered Protein Polymer-Gold Nanoparticle Hybrid Materials for Small Molecule Delivery. J Nanomed Nanotechnol 7:356. doi:10.4172/2157-7439.1000356
- Jasmin Hume, Raymond Chen, Rudy Jacquet, Michael Yang & Jin K. Montclare. Tunable Conformation Dependent Protein•Gold Nanoparticle Nanocomposites. Biomacromolecules (2015) 16, 1706-1713. DOI: 10.1021/acs.biomac.5b00098
- Joseph A. Frezzo & Jin K. Montclare. Exploring the potential of engineered coiled-coil protein microfibers in drug delivery. Therapeutic Delivery (2015) 6, 643-646.
- Haresh T. More, Kevin S. Zhang, Nikita Srivastiva, Joseph A. Frezzo & Jin K. Montclare. Influence of Fluorination on Protein Engineered Coiled-coil Fibers. Biomacromolecules (2015) 16, 1210–1217. DOI: 10.1021/bm5019062
- Jasmin Hume, Jennifer Sun, Rudy Jacquet, P. Douglas Renfrew, Jesse A. Martin, Richard Bonneau, M. Lane Gilchrist & Jin K. Montclare. Engineered Coiled-Coil Protein Microfibers. Biomacromolecules (2014) 15, 3503-3510. DOI: 10.1021/bm5004948
- Ching-Yao Yang, P. Douglas Renfrew, Andrew J. Olsen, Michelle Zhang, Carlo Yuvienco, Richard Bonneau, Jin K. Montclare. Improved Stability and Half-life of Fluorinated Phosphotriesterase using Rosetta. ChemBioChem (2014) 15, 1761-1764.
- Haresh T. More, Joseph A. Frezzo, Jisen Dai, Seiichi Yamano, Jin K. Montclare. Efficient Gene Delivery from Supercharged Coiled-coil Protein and Cationic Lipid Nanocomplexes. Biomaterials (2014) 35, 7188-7193.
- Seiichi Yamano, Jisen Dai, Shigeru Hanatani, Ken Haku, Takuto Yamanaka, Mika Ishioka, Tadahiro Takayama, Carlo Yuvienco, Sachin Khapli, Amr M. Moursi, Jin K. Montclare. Long-term efficient gene delivery using polyethylenimine with modified Tat peptide. Biomaterials (2014) 34, 1705-1715.
- Jennifer S. Haghpanah, Raymond Tu, Sandra Da Silva, Deng Yan, Silvana Mueller, Christoph Weder, E. Johan Foster, Iulia Sacui, Jeffery W. Gilman, Jin K. Montclare. Bionanocomposites: Differential Effects of Cellulose Nanocrystals on Protein Diblock Copoloymers. Biomacromolecules (2013) 14, 4360-4367.
- Daniel Yoo, Nick Tovar, Ryo Jimbo, Charles Marin, Rodolfo Anchieta, Lucas Machado, Jin Montclare, Fernando Guastaldi, Malvin Janal & Paulo Coelho, Increased Osseointegration Effect of BMP-2 on Dental Implants: An In Vivo Study. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research. (2013) doi: 10.1002/jbm.a.34862
- Herbert Lannon, Jennifer S. Haghpanah, Jin K. Montclare, Eric Vanden-Eijnden & Jasna Brujic. Force-clamp experiments reveal the free energy profile and diffusion coefficient of the collapse of proteins. Phys, Rev. Lett. (2013) 110, 128301-6. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.128301
- Nancy Hom, Kinjal R. Mehta, Tsengming Chou, Amy B. Foraker, Frances M. Brodsky, Kent Kirshenbaum & Jin K. Montclare. Anisotropic nanocrystal arrays organized on protein lattices formed by recombinant clathrin fragments. J. Mat. Chem. (2012) 22, 23335-23339.
- Carlo Yuvienco, Haresh T. More, Jennifer S. Haghpanah, Raymond S. Tu & Jin K. Montclare, Modulating Supramolecular Assemblies and Mechanical Properties of Engineered Protein Materials by Fluorinated Amino Acids. Biomacromolecules. (2012) 13, 2273-2278.
- Susheel K. Gunasekar, Luona Anjia, Hiroshi Matsui & Jin K. Montclare. Effects of Divalent Metals on Nanoscopic Fiber Formation and Small Molecule Recognition of Helical Proteins. Adv. Funct. Mat. (2012) 22, 2154-2159.
- Peter J. Baker, Yan M. Chan, Moritz Hertel & Jin K. Montclare. Characterization and Identification of Protein Partners of Fn3 Domain in FnTm2. Protein Expression and Purification (2012) 81, 42-48.
- Peter J. Baker, Christopher S. Poultney, Zhiqiang Liu, Richard Gross & Jin K. Montclare. Identification and Comparison of Cutinases for Synthetic Polyester Degradation. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology (2012) 93, 229-240.
- Min Dai, jennifer S. Haghpanah, Navjot Singh, Eric W. Roth, Alice Liang, Raymond S. Tu & Jin K. Montclare, Artificial Protein Block Polymer Libraries Bearing Two SADs: Effects of Elastin Domain Repeats. Biomacromolecules. (2011) 12, 4240-4246.
- Kinjal R. Mehta, Ching-Yao Yang & Jin K. Montclare, Modulating substrate specificity of histone acetyltransferase with unnatural amino acids. Mol. BioSyst. (2011) 7, 3050-3055
- Peter J. Baker & Jin K. Montclare, Enhanced refoldability and thermoactivity of fluorinated phosphotriesterase. Chembiochem, (2011) 12, 1845-1848.
- Seiichi Yamano, Jisen Dai, Carlo Yuvienco, Sachin Khapli, Amr M. Moursi & Jin K. Montclare. Modified Tat peptide with lipids enhances gene transfection efficiency via temperature-dependent and caveolae-mediated endocytosis. J. Contr. Rel. (2011) 152, 278-285.
- Jennifer S. Haghpanah, Carlo Yuvienco, Eric W. Roth, Alice Liang, Raymond S. Tu & Jin K. Montclare, Supramolecular Assembly and Small Molecule Recognition by Genetically Engineered Protein Block Polymers Composed of Two SADs. Mol. BioSys. (2010) 6, 1662-1667.
- Kinjal R. Mehta, Yan M. Chan+, Man X. Lee+, Ching Yao Yang, Natalya Voloshchuk & Jin K. Montclare. Mutagenesis of tGCN5 core region reveals two critical surface residues F90 and R140. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. (2010) 400, 363-368.
- Natalya Voloshchuk & Jin K. Montclare, Incorporation of unnatural amino acids for synthetic biology. Mol. BioSys. (2010) 6, 65-80.
- Jennifer S. Haghpanah, Carlo Yuvienco, Deniz E. Civay, Hanna Barra, Peter J. Baker, Sachin Khapli, Natalya Voloshchuk, Susheel K. Gunasekar, Murugappan Muthukumar & Jin K. Montclare, Artificial protein block copolymers comprised of two self-assembling domains. ChemBioChem. (2009) 10, 2733-2735. *Highlighted in Futurity* http://futurity.org/
- Zhiqiang Liu, Yuying Gosser, Peter James Baker, Yaniv Ravee, Ziying Lu, Girum Alemu, Huiguang Li, Glenn L. Butterfoss, Xiang-Peng Kong, Richard Gross & Jin K. Montclare, Structural and functional studies of A. oryzae cutinase: Enhanced thermostability and hydrolytic activity of synthetic ester and polyester degradation. J. Am. Chem Soc. (2009) 131, 15711-15716.
- Susheel K. Gunasekar, Mukta Asnani, Chandani Limbad, Jennifer S. Haghpanah, Wendy Hom, Hanna Barra, Soumya Nanda & Jin K. Montclare, N-terminal aliphatic residues dictate the structure, stability and assembly of the coiled-coil region of COMP. Biochemistry. (2009) 48, 8559–8567.
- Natalya Voloshchuk, Anita Yuhua Zhu, David Snydacker & Jin K. Montclare, Positional effects of monofluorinated phenylalanines on histone acetyltransferase stability and activity. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. (2009) 19, 5449-5451.
- Sachin Khapli, Jin R. Kim, Jin K. Montclare, Rastislav Levicky, Mauricio Porfiri and Stavroula Sofou. Frozen cyclohexane-in-water emulsion as a sacrificial template for the synthesis of multilayered polyelectrolyte microcapsules. Langmuir, (2009) 17, 9728-9733.
- Jin K. Montclare*, Soojin Son*, Ginevra Clark, Krishna Kumar & David A. Tirrell, Biosynthesis of stable dimeric coiled-coils bearing (2S, 4R)-5’,5’,5’-trifluoroleucine and (2S, 4S)-5’,5’,5’-trifluoroleucine. ChemBioChem (2009) 10, 84-86. * these authors contributed equally
- Susheel K. Gunasekar, Jennifer S. Haghpanah & Jin K. Montclare, Assembly of bioinspired protein fibers. Polymers for Advanced Technology. (2008) 19, 454-468.
- Natalya Voloshchuk, Man Xia Lee, Wan Wen Zhu, Ismet Caglar Tanrikulu & Jin K. Montclare, Fluorinated chloramphenicol acetyltransferase thermostability and activity profile: improved thermostability by a single-isoleucine mutant. Bioorganic Medicinal Chemistry Letters (2007) 17, 5907-5911.
- Tatyana Panchenko, Wan Wen Zhu & Jin K. Montclare, Influence of global fluorination on chloramphenicol acetyltransferase activity and stability. Biotechnology and Bioengineering (2006) 94, 921-930.
- Jin K. Montclare, Soojin Son, Ginevra Clark, Krishna Kumar & David A. Tirrell, Biosynthesis of stable dimeric coiled-coils bearing (2S, 4R)-5’,5’,5’-trifluoroleucine and (2S, 4S)-5’,5’,5’-trifluoroleucine. ChemBioChem (2009) 10, 84-86.
- Jin K. Montclare & David A. Tirrell, Evolving proteins of novel composition. Angewandte Chemie International Edition (2006) 45, 4518-4521.
- Jin K. Montclare & Alanna Schepartz, Miniature homeodomains: High specificity without an N-terminal arm. J. Am. Chem. Soc. (2003) 125, 3416-3417.
- Jin K. Montclare, Leslie S. Sloan & A. Schepartz, Electrostatic control of half-site spacing preferences by the cyclic AMP Response Element Binding Protein: Selectivity at the expense of affinity. Nucleic Acids Res. (2001) 29, 3311-3319.
Joseph A. Frezzo & Jin K. Montclare, Natural Composite Systems for Bioinspired Materials. In Protein-based Engineered Nanostructures (2015) Edited by T. Z. Groves and A. L. Cortajarena. In press.
Haresh T. More, Ching-Yao Yang & Jin K. Montclare, Post-Translational Modification of Proteins Incorporating Non-natural Amino Acids. In Functional Polymers by Post-Polymerization Modification: Concepts, Practical Guidelines and Applications (2012) Edited by H. A. Klok and P. Theato.
Peter James Baker, Jennifer S. Haghpanah & Jin K. Montclare Elastin-basted Protein Polymers. In Polymer Biocatalysts and Biomaterials II (2008) Edited by H. N. Cheng and R. A. Gross. Chapter 3.
Peter J. Baker & Jin K. Montclare, Biotransformations using Cutinase. In Green Polymer Chemistry: Biocatalysis and Biomaterials (2010) Edited by H. N. Cheng and R. A. Gross. 1043, 141-158.
Priya Chacko, Sarah Appelbaum, Heejoo Kim, Jinhui Zhao & Jin K. Montclare. Integrating Technology in STEM Education. J. Tech. Sci. Ed. (2015) 5, 5-14.
Heejoo Kim, Priya Chacko, Jinhui Zhao & Jin K. Montclare. Using Touch-Screen Technology, Apps, and Blogs To Engage and Sustain High School Students’ Interest in Chemistry Topics. J. Chem. Ed. (2014) 91, 1818-1822. doi: 10.1021/ed500234z.
Maurica S. Lewis, Jinhui Zhao & Jin K. Montclare. Development and Implementation of High School Chemistry Modules using Touch-Screen Technologies. J. Chem. Ed. (2012) 89, 1012-1018.
Robert Lorenzini, Maurica S. Lewis & Jin K. Montclare. College-Mentored Polymer/Materials Science Modules for Middle and High School Students. J. Chem. Ed. (2011) 88, 1105-1108.
Yan M. Chan, Wendy Hom & Jin K. Montclare. Mentored Chem-Bio Technology Lab to Promote Early Interest in Science. J. Chem. Ed. (2011) 88, 751-754.
protein engineering chemical biology biomaterials self-assembly artificial proteins biocatalyis
- CBAS group: Jin Kim, Rasti Levicky, Maurizio Porfiri, NYU-Poly
- Thorsten Kirsch, NYU Med
- Daniel Ceradini, NYU Med
- Vikram Kapila, NYU-Poly
- Sungheon Kim, NYU Med
- Komal Jhaveri, NYU Med
- Youssef Wadghiri, NYU Med
- Kent Kirshenbaum, Chemistry, NYU
- Jasna Brujic, Physics, NYU
- Xiang-Peng Kong, NYU Med
- Seiichi Yamano, NYU Dental
- Paulo Coelho, NYU Dental
SUNY Downstate Medical Center Rockefeller University
- 2016 ACS WCC Rising Star Award
- 2015 Agnes Fay Morgan Research Award from Iota Sigma Pi, National Honor Society for Women in Chemistry
- 2014 Distinguished Award for Excellence, Dedication to Invention, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- 2014 Executive Leadership in Academic Technology and Engineering Fellow
- 2013 NSF I-Corps
- 2009 Young Observer Fellowship (declined)
- 2008 ACS PROGRESS/Dreyfus Lectureship
- 2008 Dreyfus Special Grants Program Award
- 2007 AFOSR Young Investigator Award
- 2006 Wechsler Award for Excellence
- 2006 Othmer Junior Fellow, Othmer Institute
- 2003-2005 National Institute of Health Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2001 T. F. Cooke Teaching Award for Organic Chemistry; Yale University
- 1997-2000 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship
- 1997-2000 Pfizer Fellowship
Polymer Carrier., (Utility)
Engineered Protein-Lipid Systems for siRNA and Small Molecule Delivery, (PI)
National Science Foundation, 09/01/15-08/31/18
Patterned protein and hybrid materials: responsive ‘chemomechanical’ shape-shifters, (PI)
Army Research Offcie, 08/01/15-07/31/18
PFI-AIR: Prototyping a Gene Transfection Tool, GeneTrain, (PI)
National Science Foundation, 08/01/14-12/31/15
Bottom-up Assembly of Engineered Protein Fibers, (PI)
Army Research Office, 10/01/11-09/30/14
Engineered Protein-Based Multi-Functional Materials, (PI)
National Science Foundation, 09/01/12-08/31/15
Computational Studies of Histone Modifications, (co-I)
National Institute of Health, 07/01/13-06/30/17
Engineered Protein Polymers, (PI)