Tuition, Expenses, & Scholarships | NYU Tandon School of Engineering

Tuition, Expenses, & Scholarships

for study away experiences

Tuition and Fees

School of Engineering students accepted for study abroad will continue to pay the standard NYU School of Engineering tuition and fees directly to NYU via Albert by the NYU deadlines, regardless of the start date of the host university/site. In that regard, tuition and fees at participating host universities (for exchange programs) are waived. Students who fail to pay their New York University tuition in a timely manner will forfeit their participation in the study abroad program.


For each of the School of Engineering approved study abroad programs, students are required to pay housing directly to the host institution. If a student is studying abroad via NYU, they pay their housing costs through the Bursar in Albert. All other programs will require the housing costs to be paid by the student directly to the host university. Different schools have different policies.

If you are enrolled in housing at NYU and wish to deenroll, you must notify the NYU Housing Office at Please make sure that you copy the Office of Academic Affairs on the email at so that Tandon administration is aware as well.

Financial Aid

Students who currently receive financial aid may continue to receive this assistance and apply it towards their study abroad semester or year. Financial aid programs that may be transferable for study abroad include Pell Grants, Stafford Loans, and Parent (PLUS) Loans. For further information regarding financial assistance please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Tandon Tuition Free Summer Course

Any Tandon student that participates in a term abroad program during a fall or spring semester is eligible to receive a tuition free summer course (up to 4 credits) the summer after they return through the Tandon School of Engineering. This course must be a course offered by New York University; it does not have to be located in NYC.

This scholarship is not automatic; the application is due May 1st of each spring semester. Note: this does not apply to students participating in Go Local.

Application - deadline for SU21 is May 1, 2021.

*These scholarships are available on a limited basis after SU21.

Transportation Arrangements and Living Expenses

Students are responsible for all transportation (including airfare), housing, food, health insurance, books, study materials, and other costs while abroad.

Withdrawal and Refunds

Students who wish to withdraw from the program must notify the Office of Academic Affairs at in writing prior to taking ant official action. Any withdrawal made without notifying the office will prevent the student from receiving a refund. Refund eligibility is based on the withdrawal schedule and University policies, as published in the Tandon School of Engineering bulletin and the University website. Students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with all relevant schedules and policies.

Outside Scholarships

Students may also be eligible for a private scholarship or grant from an outside organization or agency. Some sources to explore are employers, unions, professional organizations, and community and special interest groups.

Below is an alphabetical list of resources of free scholarship search services and related information. New York University is not affiliated with, and does not endorse, any of the organizations included in this sample nor does NYU distribute any literature on behalf of outside scholarship programs or promote their information on our website.

  • College Board: Pay for College/Find Scholarships
  • CollegeNET MACH25
  • College
  • College
  • College
  • FastWEB
  • Scholarship Search
  • Kaarme Scholarship Search
  • NerdScholar
  • Peterson's Scholarship Search
  • Scholarship
  • School Soup
  • U.S. Department of Education
  • See also: National Scholarship Competitions (requires NYU endorsement)

It is important to be aware of the financial implications that receiving an outside scholarship can have. Outside scholarships are considered a financial aid resource and must be added to a student's total financial aid award. The Office of Financial Aid first applies the outside scholarship to a student's unmet need that is not already covered by financial aid. In some cases, loans not based on financial need may be reduced (private loans, Federal Unsubsidized Loans, Federal PLUS Loans, Graduate PLUS). If the student's need is already met by need-based aid, then that aid is replaced with the outside scholarship. Need-based loans are first replaced. If the outside scholarship exceeds the loan amounts, work-study and need-based grants are the next to be replaced. In most cases it is not necessary to reduce an NYU scholarship. Total aid (including outside assistance) cannot exceed the total cost of attendance.

Gilman Award

The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact For more information, please visit the NYU Global Programs Gilman Scholarship webpage. 

Study Abroad Advisers

The Gilman application requires certifiers to be listed on the application. Please visit the Gilman webpages to find out who you should list under the section titled "Who should I list to certify my application".

Important Note: all Global E3 and Tandon Exchange applications should have Sara-Lee Ramsawak listed as your study abroad adviser.


Freeman-Asia Award

The Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA) offers scholarships for U.S. undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia. The scholarship covers costs including: airfare, living expenses, books and materials, transportation, etc. 

In conjunction with the study abroad term, scholarship winners are required to propose and complete a service project to share their overseas experience and generate interest in study abroad in Asia. 
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents with a minimum 2.8 GPA pursuing their first Bachelor's degree. They must also be endorsed by their study abroad and financial aid advisers. 
For more information, please visit the Freeman Asia Program page.
DAAD Scholarship
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers scholarships to graduate, doctoral and postdoc students. Scholarships are awarded for study and research visits to universities and non-university research institutions in Germany. 

For more information on opportunities provided to international students, please check out the DAAD Scholarship Database.