Tandon International Exchange Program
Tandon seeks to provide the best educational experiences for its undergraduate students, both in Brooklyn and globally. In addition to the NYU campuses and centers outside of New York, the Tandon School of Engineering exclusively has three opportunities for current students to study at other high ranking engineering institutions.
For students at one of our partner institutions, please proceed to the bottom of the page for information relevant to you.
About The Program
- Students must have completed at least their first year of study and have a 3.0 GPA to apply
- Students wishing for a more immersive study abroad experience may find these exchange partners as a great option compared to our NYU Study Away sites and campuses.
- Students wishing to study abroad while still taking major related and upper level engineering courses not offered at NYU Study Away sites and campuses.
University Partner Institutions
Since its foundation in 1829, the École Centrale Paris has followed the same calling: training engineers capable of meeting the greatest challenges of their era. Centrale seeks to create “three-dimensional” engineers: engineers that are high-level scientific and technical generalists, experts in initiating and piloting innovative projects and with a strong international culture. Students who study at Centrale will have the opportunity to participate in any of their course offerings - some taught in English and others in French.
*All students who choose to apply must have completed Linear Algebra and Differential Equations.
Korea University was the first modern and higher Korean education institution founded by a Korean civilization. Their educational objective is to teach and study academic theories and application methods based upon KU’s philosophical belief in democratic education, thus fostering the talent required for the development of Korea and all humanity.
At the Hochshule Bremen City University of Applied Sciences (HSB), students have the opportunity to complete engineering coursework in Germany. Young, cosmopolitan, inspring - located in the heart of Bremen, HSB attracts almost 9,000 students from within Germany and 300 students from across the world.
Application Process and Step-by-Step Guide
1. If you are interested in any of the following universities, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an initial appointment with our Manager of Global Programs Colby Hepner. He will go over navigating partner websites, program timelines, requirements, application process for the exchange
2. Students will then review the partner school's website to determine if they will be offering the types of courses they wish to take in order to stay on track for graduation. While many of the courses within participating schools are taught in English, some are not. Students are required to conduct their own personal research via the schools websites to find out if the courses they want to take are taught in English. We recommend reviewing 2-3 schools course catalogs and submitting all possible courses to be evaluated.
3. Once you have compiled a list of courses and their syllabi, you will then submit each course to be evaluated through the Tandon Study Abroad Portal
- For example, you locate a course at Korea University that looks to cover the exact same topics as our Linear Algebra. You would submit the syllabus and other relevant information to the Math department through the online portal to be evaluated.
- While you are not required to have a finalized list of evaluated courses in the Study Abroad Portal prior to submitting your application, it is in your best interest to get as many courses reviewed as possible up front rather than waiting until closer to your departure should you be nominated/accepted to a partner institution.
4. Prior to the deadline, please submit your application through our Tandon Exchange Application (See below). Reminder, you do not need to have all of your courses evaluated in the Tandon Study Abroad Portal prior to submitting; you can continue to secure approvals/evaluations after submission of your application.
5. Finally, your application materials will be reviewed by a Tandon committee to determine if you will become a Tandon nominee. Students who are chosen as nominees must then abide by additional application deadlines and information set by the partner institutions which Tandon Global will provide to you upon nomination.
6. Once you have been nominated and accepted to a partner institution, you will return to the Tandon Study Abroad Portal and add your course preferences to your "cart". You will then make an appointment with your academic advisor so they can indicate how each course will count towards your degree progress/completion (i.e. major requirement, tech elective, HUSS, free elective etc.). This will need to be completed at least one month prior to your program's start date.
(In order to access this portal, you will need to be sure to fill out the Tandon Study Abroad Interest Form in order to be granted log-in access. For a tutorial on how to navigate and utilize the portal, please view the “Tandon Study Abroad Portal Tutorial”. You will need to use your NYU credentials to access.)
- Students must have completed their first year of study
- Hold a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- All majors at Tandon are encouraged to apply
- Students of all nationalities and citizenships are encouraged to apply
- Previous knowledge of the language is not a requirement
Fall Semester: March 1st
Spring Semester: October 1st
Charges on Bill
- Normal NYU Tandon tuition and fees
- All financial aid, scholarships, and grants will still be applied
Out of Pocket
- Housing at the partner institution (costs will vary)
- Daily cost of living expenses
- Immigration documents/Visas (Depending on citizenship)
Provided by NYU free of charge
- Comprehensive international health insurance coverage
- Immigration assistance through our Office of Global Services
Transcript and Credit Transfer Process
Upon completion of your semester at the partner institution, a transcript will be sent to our office. We will then work with your advisor to make sure that these credits and courses get applied appropriately to your Degree Progress report in Albert.
The grades you receive in these courses will be reflected as transfer credits and will not count towards your GPA. No credit will be awarded for courses taken as Pass/Fail and/or Audit or courses in which you received below a C or equivalent.
Information for Incoming Exchange Students from Partner Institutions
NYU Tandon accepts incoming exchange students from the above partner institutions as well as institutions that are partnered with us through the Global Engineering Education Exchange Program. If you are a prospective student from one of these institutions and have questions or concerns about applying to or coming to NYU, please contact email@example.com.
Congratulations and welcome to NYU! We are excited to welcome you to our community. The below information is for all admitted students via one of the partner universities specific to the Tandon School of Engineering. Please refer to this information as you prepare for your arrival on campus and during your time studying at NYU. Note that while you are an admitted exchange student through a Tandon School of Engineering program, you are technically considered an exchange student to the entire New York University. As such, you will be receiving information from and in contact with both the NYU Tandon Undergraduate Academics Office and the NYU Office of University Programs.
Detailed information on incoming exchange can be found on the Welcome document.
for questions about engineering advisement, Tandon support services and events, and issues enrolling into coursework after submitting course enrollment forms to UP
Tandon Global - firstname.lastname@example.org
Colby Hepner - email@example.com
Sara-Lee Ramsawak - firstname.lastname@example.org
NYU University Programs
for questions about visas, housing, ID cards, and initial course enrollment as well as university events and support services
University Programs General Questions - email@example.com
University Programs Advisement - firstname.lastname@example.org
5 MetroTech Center, LC230
Brooklyn, NY 11201
HSB Bremen, Germany
Ms. Sabine Ganter - Sabine.Ganter@hs-bremen.de