Global Engineering Education Exchange (GE3)
Global E3 is a one-of-a-kind educational exchange program designed specifically for engineering students. The Global Engineering Education Exchange Program enables engineering students to go abroad to 36 universities in 23 countries in Asia, Australia, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East while earning credit at home.
A significant number of courses are offered in English, and a larger amount are available for students who are proficient in other languages.
- Students must have completed at least their first year of study and have a 3.0 GPA to apply
- Students wishing for a more immersive study abroad experience may find these exchange partners as a great option compared to our NYU Study Away sites and campuses.
- Students wishing to study abroad while still taking major related and upper level engineering courses not offered at NYU Study Away sites and campuses.
- Students wishing to study abroad at unique locations only available through the GE3 program
- Students wishing to study abroad for a semester or year.
University Partner Institutions
GE3 has partners in Argentina, Australia, Austria, China, Colombia, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. Like universities in America, each school offers different courses and may specialize in various fields within STEM.
Not all institutions offer the same variety of courses and not all will provide the same amount of courses taught in English.
To locate a school that offers courses in your field of interest, we suggest using the GE3 Advanced Search Tool which allows you to filter for certain fields (i.e. aeronautical), Locations (i.e. Asia), language, etc.
- Students must have completed their first year of study
- Hold a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- All majors at Tandon are encouraged to apply
- Students of all nationalities and citizenships are encouraged to apply
- Previous knowledge of the language is not a requirement
Application Process and Step-by-Step Guide
1. If you are interested in the GE3 program, please reach out to email@example.com to set up an initial appointment with our Manager of Global Programs Colby Hepner. He will go over navigating partner websites, program timelines, requirements, application process for the exchange
2. Students will then review the partner school's website to determine if they will be offering the types of courses they wish to take in order to stay on track for graduation. While many of the courses within participating schools are taught in English, some are not. Students are required to conduct their own personal research via the schools websites to find out if the courses they want to take are taught in English.
3. Once you have compiled a list of courses and their syllabi, you will then meet with your academic advisor to determine those courses' Tandon equivalence. (i.e. You locate a course in Korea that looks to cover the exact same topics as our Linear Algebra. You would work with the Math department as well as your advisor to verify that it is indeed equivalent). Please use this Tandon Exchange Course Approval Form when completing this step and refer to the NYU Tandon International Exchange, Course Approval Evaluators Contact List for determining who you should reach out to for course approvals. If the course you're attempting to get approved would not be housed here at Tandon, please work with your academic advisor to determine which department at NYU you should reach out to for approval.
4. Prior to the deadline, please submit your application through the GE3 webpage (See below). Once you have submitted the GE3 application please notify Tandon Global at firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your course approval form. We understand that it may take time for faculty and advisors to respond with verification so if you need to provide it at a later date please be sure to email ASAP following your application submission.
5. We will review the application and then GE3 will make final placement decisions in the fews following the deadline. Students who are given placements abroad must then abide by additional application deadlines and information set by the partner institutions which GE3 will provide to you upon notification.
1. Learn more about your options
Visit the GE3 Online Application Website to learn about all of the host institutions that are open to you. Use the section Participating Universities to explore your options. Note: Not all universities offer every field of study or English taught courses.
2. Create Your Account
Click on the Apply Now link. There will be three options. Please apply via the Global E3 US - Applying to Study Abroad section. Note that you will need to click the paper icon to the right of the section. The system will ask you to confirm that you would like to create an application to the GE3 Program – you must click Ok. The system will then ask if you have received login information via email. If you have never used the GE3 application system before, click No and submit. Then create your account by entering basic information about yourself.
Note: Your email address will become your login username.
3. Begin your application
When logging in for the first time, you will be prompted to change your password. Click on View Programs to create an application. Select the program you wish to apply for and click Apply Now. You will then have to select the Term you are intending to apply for. Complete the Application Parameters section and submit.
Note: For both the fall and academic year cycle, you must select the Fall/Academic Year 20XX option. Later in your application you will have to indicate the number of semesters you intend to study.
4. Complete your application
On the Program Application Page, you must complete the required application sections. Your Study Abroad Advisor should be listed as Colby Hepner and your academic adviser should be your departmental adviser, not your first-year adviser.
The address you should list for your transcript is:
ATTN: Colby Hepner
5 Metrotech Center, LC230A
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Once you have submitted these materials, please send an email to email@example.com for verification including your course approval form so we can review your application and send it off to GE3.
Note: it can take up to 8 weeks for applicants to be placed.
VI. Acceptance and Paperwork
If a host university accepts you, you will receive an email from IIE. In some cases, the host institution will also contact you directly. Please log into your GE3 application to view the decision letter and follow the instructions to accept or decline the placement offer. Oftentimes, you may need to complete paperwork from the institution to finalize your placement there.
Fall Semester/Academic Year: March 1st (except Tohoku University, which is 2/20)
Spring Semester: October 1st
Charges on Bill
- Normal NYU Tandon tuition and fees
- All financial aid, scholarships, and grants will still be applied
Out of Pocket
- Housing at the partner institution (costs will vary)
- Daily cost of living expenses
- Immigration documents/Visas (Depending on citizenship)
Provided by NYU free of charge
- Comprehensive international health insurance coverage
- Immigration assistance through our Office of Global Services
Transcript and Credit Transfer Process
Upon completion of your semester at the partner institution, a transcript will be sent to our office. We will then work with your advisor to make sure that these credits and courses get applied appropriately to your Degree Progress report in Albert.
The grades you receive in these courses will be reflected as transfer credits and will not count towards your GPA. No credit will be awarded for courses taken as Pass/Fail and/or Audit or courses in which you received below a C or equivalent.
We will be utilizing your completed Tandon Exchange Course Approval form in order to verify that the courses you completed have been reviewed and approved for equivalency by the appropriate departments here at NYU