Brooklyn, An UNconventional Location
Together, NYU Tandon and Brooklyn are working at the intersection of engineering innovation and technology to make new advances work for everyone.
Making an Innovation Coastline a reality in the Borough of Makers
What started as a Tech Triangle has burgeoned into an entire Innovation Coastline, radiating from the waterfront and encompassing the entire borough and all of New York City. NYU Tandon is a central engine of that growth, as people from all around the world and the block are drawn to a dynamic, collaborative ecosystem of tech entrepreneurs, cutting-edge companies, leading researchers, and passionate students. Our slogan — Born Anywhere Made in Brooklyn — encompasses the power of our combined experiences, a commitment to innovation, and the ingenuity of our home borough.
Brooklyn is the leading driver of the innovation economy in New York State, and New York City is the fastest-growing hub of technology on the planet. In fact, it has been ranked the #1 city for tech in the world. This ranking is based on a range of categories, including business and tech environments and access to talent. Be a part of that talent pool and continue to keep New York City on top for innovation and technology.
Tandon's Presence in Brooklyn
Situated in the heart of Downtown Brooklyn but proximate to the exciting residential neighborhoods of Dumbo, Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, and Carroll Gardens, NYU Tandon is the largest NYU stakeholder in Brooklyn. The Brooklyn Commons provides a quad atmosphere where you will find labs, classrooms, lunch options, a gym, and the library, as well as opportunities to mingle with executives from the various companies that call the Brooklyn central business district home. In addition, the Commons is home to the NYU Tandon MakerSpace, a hub for hands-on education and the place where ideas are made a reality.
Just across Jay Street, you’ll find the newly renovated 370 Jay building, where Tandon occupies seven floors of the 13-story former MTA headquarters. Academic departments such as Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Integrated Design and Media call 370 Jay home, making it a central collaboration point for faculty, students and researchers. To call 370 Jay a research hub is an understatement, as it hosts seven of Tandon’s 11 research institutes, including:
- The Center for Advanced Technology in Telecommunications and Distributed Information Systems, which creates economic impact through research, technology transfer, and faculty entrepreneurship
- The Center for CyberSecurity, a network of cyber faculty and researchers making sure that both hardware and software are secure in an ever-evolving digital landscape
- The Center for Responsible AI, a place where we uncover the biases in the algorithms that control the systems we use every day and help educate everyone about the dangers that can occur when we take artificial intelligence for granted
- The Center for Urban Science and Progress, which uses New York City as a living lab to improve urban communities across the globe
- The NYC Media Lab, a multi-university collaboration dedicated to driving innovation and job growth in media and technology
- NYU Wireless, which is working towards the development of 6G
- The Visualization and Data Analytics Research Center, whose researchers work closely with domain experts to apply the latest advances in computing to problems of critical societal importance
In addition to Tandon, the building is home to other NYU initiatives that align with our focus on technology and innovation, be it the Tisch ITP program, the Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music, or the Ability Project, a cross-school initiative focused on user-based design for the differently-abled.
In addition to our Brooklyn Commons–adjoining locations, Tandon has outposts in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Sunset Park — which houses the Veterans Future Lab, as well as a new hub of design and media —and the Brooklyn Navy Yard, where you’ll find our Collaborative Learning Institute. We’re working hand-in-glove with our home borough to continue our upwards ascension and drive innovation across the city, region and planet.
Born anywhere and made in Brooklyn, right here at NYU Tandon.
At NYU Tandon, we know progress is made faster and problems are tackled more effectively when academic, public, and private institutions join forces.
We’re proud to partner with organizations to achieve our common goals: making our city — and the whole world — a safer, healthier, more sustainable, better-connected place.