Feminism and STEM (GY)
This team has been paused and will not run in the Spring 2024 semester.
- Exploring understudied issues concerning the social impact of digital technologies for health and wellness from a feminist social science perspective
- Training students in feminist social science research methods
- Providing students with hands-on experience with social science research methods
- Training students in technical fields to formally investigate the impacts of their current and future work
- Training students how to follow laboratory best practices, such as record keeping
- Providing students with opportunities to demonstrate their research proficiency to broader publics through publication credits and/or public presentations, as appropriate
Research, Design, and Technical Issues Involved or Addressed:
Students will contribute to research tasks across the life cycle of a scholarly research practice. These could include:
- Conducting scholarly literature reviews in relevant fields of the social sciences
- Training in human subjects research ethics
- Training in qualitative data collection and analysis techniques
- Collecting and analyzing data from media sources and human subjects studies
- Collaborating to write scientific papers
- Leading or collaborating on scientific communication projects, such as conference talks and presentations for NYU and public audiences
- Creating design prototypes that demonstrate socially appropriate technological development
- Establishing best practices for a feminist-oriented research group
Methods and Technologies
- Qualitative research methods, such as interviews, ethnography, and auto-ethnography
- Content analysis of media sources
- Archival research about the origins of current technologies
- Secondary literature research
Majors and Areas of Interest
- Integrated Design Media
- Social and Cultural Analysis
- Global Public Health
- STS or Feminist and STEM minor at Tandon
- Any students with an interest in the social impact of technologies or the social context of health innovation
Related Grand Challenges
- How can feminist principles positively shape technological development?
- What does a feminist laboratory look like?
- What is needed to ensure that innovation serves everyone?