Undergraduate Summer Research Program (UGSRP)
Each summer, members of the Tandon School of Engineering faculty open up their labs to allow NYU Tandon, NYU Dual Degree Program in Engineering (CAS/Tandon), NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU Shanghai, and select non-NYU rising sophomore, junior, and senior undergraduate students to complete 10 weeks of hands-on research. Students work in the labs with their faculty mentors and other mentors on various research topics while also participating in seminars presented by distinguished administrative and academic personnel. In addition, research presentations and poster sessions are held in which students have the opportunity to present their research to peoples of all disciplines and backgrounds. At the end of the program, abstracts of the research are published and presented to incoming students during Undergraduate Orientation. Abstracts from previous years' programs are available below.
The UG Summer Research Program was initiated in 2007 and its success has been made possible by the financial support from the School’s most loyal and generous donors as well as supplements from the Office of Undergraduate Academics (UGA) and research grants of the faculty mentors.
Highlights of past programs include:
- Student to Scholar workshop series organized by NYU Tandon Bern Dibner Library
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program information session
- Graduate school information session presented by NYU Tandon Graduate Admissions
- Resume/cover letter workshop presented by Wasserman Center for Career Development
- WEST Fest Career development panel focused on women working in tech
- PhD research panel presented by NYU Tandon PhD students
- How to Optimize and Leverage Your Research Experience by Alaina Levine of Quantum Success Solutions
- Poster presentation and abstract publication
The Undergraduate Summer Research program is open to all NYU Tandon, NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU Shanghai, NYU Dual Degree Program in Engineering (CAS/Tandon), and select non-NYU rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors who have a recommended minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. At the beginning of the spring semester, UGA publishes the faculty research projects and any special requirements student researchers must have (i.e. lab experience, specific completed coursework, minimum GPA). Students then fill out an application (including the submission of a personal statement, a resume, and an unofficial transcript) in which they may apply for up to five different projects and rank them in order of preference.
The faculty mentors and their research staff review the applications to their projects and rank the student researcher(s) that best fits their research needs in order of preference. UGA then places applicants into projects based on the rankings provided by the faculty and students. The number of students that can be placed into a particular project depends on how many students the faculty can accept and how much funding is available.
Selected students will receive a stipend to work full-time on one project. Participants are also required to enroll in the CP-UY 2340 UGSRP course and attend all mandatory events published on the official UGSRP calendar. Please note that students are not allowed to take courses or hold a job that will interfere with this full-time commitment.
Additional eligibility information is as follows:
- All applicants must be current students and cannot have graduated with their BS degree prior to the start of the program. Incoming first-year students are not eligible for this program.
- Please note that NYU CAS students who are not part of the Dual Degree Program in Engineering are NOT eligible to apply. In addition, students enrolled in other NYU Schools (with the exception of NYU Abu Dhabi and NYU Shanghai) are not eligible for this program.
- Undergraduate students from other universities may apply for this program if they are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and they meet the GPA and class standing requirements above.
How to Apply
The application for the 2022 Undergraduate Summer Research Program is now open.
2022 Program Dates: June 6 - August 12, 2022
2022 Application Deadline: February 13, 2022 at 11:59 pm EST
If you have any questions or concerns, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GLASS Fellowship
- Future Labs IIIE Fellowship
- Thompson-Bartlett Fellowship
- UGSRP Visiting Student Fellowship
*Your application will automatically be reviewed for these fellowships; there is no additional application.
Important Information for NYU Shanghai Students
NYU Shanghai students who are not US citizens must apply for the NYU Shanghai 1 credit practicum course in NY to be considered full-time over the summer for immigration compliance. More details about the 1 credit practicum course can be found online. Application materials for SU22 are due in mid-April. Students are still required to enroll in the Tandon UGSRP course (CP-UY 2340).
Learn more about the Undergraduate Summer Research Program by browsing the abstracts of the work completed over the past summers. The abstracts represent the culmination of over 350 hours of focused research, the full extent of which is presented in a poster session every year.