Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering, and Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Weiqiang Chen is an Assistant Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and Biomedical Engineering. He received his B.S. in Physics from Nanjing University in 2005 and M.S. degrees from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 2008 and Purdue University in 2009, both in Electrical Engineering. He earned his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Michigan in 2014. Chen’s research interests focus on Lab-on-a-Chip, Organ-on-Chip, biomaterials, mechanobiology, stem cell biology, cancer biology, systems immunology, and applying microfabrication technology to illuminate biological systems at both the molecular and cellular levels.
Stem cell biology
Nanjing University, 2005
Bachelor of Science, Physics
Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2008
Master of Science, Electrical Engineering
Purdue University, 2009
Master of Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Michigan, 2014
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering
New York University, September 2018 to present
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
New York University, September 2014 to present
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- Qianbin Wang, Weiyi Qian, Xiaoyu Xu, Apratim Bajpai, Kevin Guan, Zijing Zhang, Roy Chen, Vittoria Flamini, and Weiqiang Chen, Energy-mediated machinery drives cellular mechanical allostasis, Advanced Materials, 2019, 1900453.
- Weiyi Qian and Weiqiang Chen, Probing single-cell mechanical allostasis using ultrasound tweezers, Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering, 2019, s12195-019-00578-z.
- Yuxin Cai, Jingyi Zhu, Jiacheng He, Yang Wen, Weiqiang Chen, and Pengyu Chen, Magnet Patterned Superparamagnetic Fe3O4/Au Core-Shell Nanoplasmonic Sensing Array for Label-Free High Throughput Cytokine Immunoassay, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2019, 8, 1801478.
- Weiqiang Chen, Steven G. Allen, Weiyi Qian, Zifeng Peng, Shuo Han, Xiang Li, Yubing Sun, Chelsea Fournier, Liwei Bao, Raymond H.W. Lam, Sofia D. Merajver, and Jianping Fu, Biophysical Phenotyping and Modulation of ALDH+ Inflammatory Breast Cancer Stem-like Cells, Small, 2019, 1802891.
- Haoyu Wang, Renee-Tyler Tan Morales, Xin Cui, Jiongxian Huang, Weiyi Qian, Jie Tong, Weiqiang Chen, A Photoresponsive Hyaluronan Hydrogel Nanocomposite for Dynamic Immunomodulation, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2018, 1801234.
- Ini-Isabée Witzel, Rasha Nasser, Anna Sabate, Jiranuwat Sapudom, Chao Ma, Weiqiang Chen, Jeremy CM Teo, Deconstructing immune microenvironments of lymphoid tissues for reverse engineering, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2018, 1801126.
- Jingyi Zhu, Jiacheng He, Michael Verano, Ayoola T. Brimmo, Ayoub Glia, Mohammad A. Qasaimeh, Pengyu Chen, Jose O. Aleman, Weiqiang Chen, An Integrated Adipose-Tissue-On-Chip Nanoplasmonic Biosensing Platform for Investigating Obesity-associated Inflammation, Lab on a Chip, 2018.
- Xin Cui, Renee-Tyler Tan Morales, Weiyi Qian, Haoyu Wang, Jean-Pierre Gagner, Igor Dolgalev, Dimitris Placantonakis, David Zagzag, Luisa Cimmino, Matija Snuderl, Raymond H. W. Lam*, Weiqiang Chen, Hacking macrophage-associated immunosuppression for regulating glioblastoma angiogenesis, Biomaterials, 2018, 161, 164-178.
- Weiqiang Chen, Shuo Han, Weyi Qain, Shinuo Weng, Haiou Yang, Luis G. Villa-Diaz, Yubing Sun, Paul H. Krebsbach, Jianping Fu, Nanotopography regulates motor neuron differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells, Nanoscale, 2018, 10, 3556-3565.
- Xin Cui, Ya Liu, Dinglong Hu, Weiyi Qian, Dong Sun, Weiqiang Chen, Raymond H. W. Lam, A fluorescent microbead-based microfluidic immunoassay chip for immune cell cytokine secretion quantification, Lab on a Chip, 2018, 18, 522-531.
- W. Qian, L. Gong, X. Cui, Z. Zhang, A. Bajpai, C. Liu, A. B. Castillo, J. C. M. Teo, W. Chen, Nanotopographic Regulation of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Osteogenesis, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2017, 9, 41794-41806.
- S. Hill, W. Qian, W. Chen, J. Fu, Surface micromachining of polydimethylsiloxane for microfluidics applications, Biomicrofluidics, 2016, 10, 054114.
- W. Chen, S. G. Allen, A. K. Reka, W. Qian, S. Han, J. Zhao, L. Bao, V. Keshamouni, S. D. Merajver, J. Fu, Nanoroughened adhesion-based capture of circulating tumor cells with heterogeneous molecular expression and metastatic characteristics, BMC Cancer, 2016, 16, 614.
- C. Liu, X. Cui, T. M. Ackermann, V. Flamini, W. Chen, A. B Castillo, Osteoblast-Derived Paracrine Factors Regulate Angiogenesis in Response to Mechanical Stimulation, Integrative Biology, 2016, 8, 785-794.
- S. Weng, Y. Shao, W. Chen, J. Fu, Mechanosensitive subcellular rheostasis drives emergent single-cell mechanical homeostasis, Nature Materials, 2016, 15, 961-967.
- S. Hu, G. Liu, W. Chen, X. Li, W. Lu, R. H. W. Lam, J. Fu, Multiparametric biomechanical and biochemical phenotypic profiling of single cancer cells using elasticity microcytometer, Small, 2016, 12, 2300-2311.
- Y. Zhang, A. Gorden, W. Qian, W. Chen, Engineering Nanoscale Stem Cell Niche: Direct Stem Cell Behavior at Cell–Matrix Interface, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2015, 4, 1900-1914.
- W. Qian, Y. Zhang, W. Chen, Capturing Cancer: Emerging Microfluidic Technologies for the Capture and Characterization of Circulating Tumor Cells, Small, 2015, 11, 3850-3872.
- W. Qian, Y. Zhang, W. Chen, Nanotopographic biomaterials for isolation of circulating tumor cells, Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, 2014, 5, 040901.
- W. Chen, Y. Shao, X. Li, and J. Fu, Nanotopograghical surfaces for stem cell fate control: Engineering mechanobiology from the bottom, Nano Today, 2014, 9, 759-784.
- X. Li, W. Chen, G. Liu, W. Lu, and J. Fu, Continuous-flow microfluidic blood cell sorting for unprocessed whole blood using surface-micromachined microfiltration membranes, Lab on Chip, 2014, 14, 2565-2575.
- X. Li, W. Chen, Z. Li, L. Li, H. Gu, and J. Fu, Emerging microengineering tools for functional analysis and phenotyping of blood cells, Trends in Biotechnology, 2014, 32, 586-594.
- Y. Sun, K. M. Aw Yong, L. G. Villa-Diaz, X. Zhang, W. Chen, R. Philson, S. Weng, H. Xu, P. H. Krebsbach, and J. Fu, Hippo/YAP-mediated rigidity-dependent motor neuron differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells, Nature Materials, 2014, 13, 599-604.
- B. Oh, N. Huang, W. Chen, J. Seo, P. Chen, T. T. Cornell, T. P. Shanley, J. Fu, and K. Kurabayashi, Integrated nanoplasmonic sensing in an optofluidic platform for human blood cellular functional immunoanalysis, ACS Nano, 2014, 8, 2667-2676.
- Y. Shao, J. M. Mann, W. Chen, and J. Fu, Global Architecture of F-actin cytoskeleton regulates cell shape-dependent endothelial mechanotransduction, Integrative Biology, 2014, 6, 300-311.
- W. Chen, N. Huang, B. Oh, R. H. W. Lam, R. Fan, T. T. Cornell, T. P. Shanley, K. Kurabayashi, and J. Fu, Surface-micromachined microfiltration membranes for efficient isolation and functional immunophenotyping of subpopulations of immune cells, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2013, 2, 965-975.
- Z. Fan, Y. Sun, D. Chen, D. Tay, W. Chen, C. X. Deng, and J. Fu, Acoustic tweezing cytometry for live-cell subcellular control of intracellular cytoskeleton contractility, Scientific Reports, 3, 2176.
- A. Singh, S. Suri, T. Lee, J. M.Chilton, M. T. Cooke, W. Chen, J. Fu, S. L. Stice, H. Lu, T. C. McDevitt, and A. J. García. Adhesive signature-based, label-free isolation of reprogrammed human induced pluripotent stem cells. Nature Methods, 2013, 10, 438-444.
- W. Chen, N. Huang, X. Li, Z. T. Yu, K. Kurabayashi and J. Fu. Emerging microfluidic tools for functional immunophenotyping: A new potential paradigm for immune status characterization. Frontiers in Oncology, 2013, 3, 98.
- W. Chen, S. Weng, F. Zhang, S. Allen, X. Li, L. Bao, R. H. W. Lam, J. A. Macoska, S. D. Merajver, and J. Fu, Nanoroughened surfaces for efficient capture of circulating tumor cells without using capture antibodies, ACS Nano, 2013, 7, 566-575.
- W. Chen, Y. Sun and J. Fu, Microfabricated nanotopological surfaces for study of adhesion-dependent cell mechanosensitivity, Small, 2013, 9, 81-89.
- W. Chen, R. H. W. Lam and J. Fu, Photolithographic surface micromachining of polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), Lab on a Chip, 2012, 12, 391-395.
- N. Huang, W. Chen, B. Oh, T. Cornell, T. Shanley, J. Fu and K. Kurabayashi, An integrated microfluidic platform for in-situ cellular cytokine secretion immunophenotyping, Lab on a Chip, 2012, 12, 4093-4101.
- W. Chen, L. G. Villa-Diaz, Y. Sun, S. Weng, R. H. W. Lam, L. Han, R. Fan, P. H. Krebsbach, and J. Fu, Nanotopography influences adhesion, spreading, and self-renewal of human embryonic stem cells, ACS Nano, 2012, 6, 4094-4103.
- Y. Sun, L. G. Villa-Diaz, R. H. W. Lam, W. Chen, P. H. Krebsbach and J. Fu, Matrix mechanics regulates fate decisions of human embryonic stem cells, PLoS ONE, 2012, 7, e37178.
- R. H. W. Lam, Y. Sun, W. Chen and J. Fu, Elastomeric microposts integrated into microfluidics for flow-mediated endothelial mechanotransduction analysis, Lab on a Chip, 2012, 12, 1865-1873.
- Y. Wu, Y. Lu, W. Chen, J. Fu and R. Fan, In silico experimentation of glioma microenvironment development and anti-tumor therapy, PLoS Computational Biology, 2012, 8, e1002355.
- W. Chen, K. P. Chen, M. D. Thoreson, A. V. Kildishev and V. M. Shalaev, Ultrathin, ultrasmooth and low-loss silver films via wetting and annealing, Applied Physics Letter, 2010, 97, 21107.
- W. Chen, M. D. Thoreson, A. V. Kildishev and V. M. Shalaev, Fabrication and Optical Characterizations of Smooth Silver-Silica Nanocomposite Films, Laser Physics Letters, 2010, 7, 677-684.
- W. Chen, M. D. Thoreson, S. Ishii, A. V. Kildishev and V. M. Shalaev, Ultra-thin ultra-smooth and low-loss silver films on a germanium wetting layer, Optics Express, 2010, 18, 5124-5134.
- Z. Su, G. Ding, W. Lu, W. Chen, Broadband circularly polarized CPW-fed slot antenna array for millimeter wave application, Microelectronics Journal, 2009, 40, 1192-1195.
- R. B. Nielsen, M. D. Thoreson, W. Chen, A. Kristensen, J. M. Hvam, V. M. Shalaev and A. Boltasseva, Toward superlensing with metal–dielectric composites and multilayers, Applied Physics B, 2010, 100, 93-100.
- W. Chen, G. Ding, B. Li, X. Sun, Design and simulation of MEMS-based broadband unidirectional CPW-fed rectangular slot antenna, Microsystem Technologies, 2008, 14, 343-347.
- W. Chen, G. Ding, Z. Su and B. Li, A novel MEMS-based CPW-fed slot antenna for broadband circular polarization and unidirectional radiation, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 2007, 17, 2352–2359.
- Z. Yang, G. Ding, W. Chen, S. Fu, X. Sun and X. Zhao, Design, simulation and characterization of inertia micro-switch fabricated by non-silicon surface micromachining, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 2007, 17, 1598–1604.
- Chroma Young Investigator Award in recognition of outstanding contribution and leadership in the general field of Biomedical Engineering, 2019.
- Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering Young Innovator Award, Biomedical Engineering Society, 2019.
- Lab on a Chip Emerging Investigator, 2018.
- National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering Trailblazer Award, 2018.
- NYU Goddard Junior Faculty Fellowship, New York University, 2017.
- NYU Whitehead Fellowship for Junior Faculty in Biomedical and Biological Sciences, New York University, 2017.
- American Heart Association Scientist Development Award, American Heart Association, 2016.
- ProQuest Distinguished Dissertation Award, University of Michigan, 2014.
- Richard and Eleanor Towner Prize for Outstanding PhD Research, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2013.
- American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowship, American Heart Association, 2013
- Baxter Young Investigator Award for distinguished research for critical care therapies and medical products, Baxter Healthcare Corporation, 2013
- Best Annual Speaker Award, Microfluidics in Biomedical Sciences Seminar Series of 2012-2013, University of Michigan, 2013.
- Outstanding Paper Award, 2nd ASME Global Congress on NanoEngineering for Medicine and Biology, Boston, MA, 2013.
- Best Poster Award, 7th Annual UM Engineering Graduate Symposium, University of Michigan, 2012.