Professor and Director of Undergraduate Programs
Torsten Suel is a Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering, where he directs a research group working on search engines and web mining technology. He holds a Diplom degree from the Technical University of Braunschweig (Germany), and a Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin. He joined the department in 1998 after postdoctoral and visiting positions at the NEC Research Institute, UC Berkeley, and Bell Labs. During 2008, he was a Principal Research Scientist at Yahoo! Research in Santa Clara, CA, while on leave from NYU Poly.
Web search engines
Scalable information retrieval
University of Texas at Austin 1994
Doctor of Philosophy,
- Automated Decision Support for Human Tasks in a Collaborative System: The Case of Deletion in Wikipedia. B. Gelley and T. Suel. Proceedings of WikiSym, August 2013.
- A Candidate Filtering Mechanism for Fast Top-K Query Processing on Modern CPUs. C. Dimopoulos, S. Nepomnyachiy, and T. Suel. 36th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference, July 2013.
- Optimizing Top-k Document Retrieval Strategies for Block-Max Indexes. C. Dimopoulos, S. Nepomnyachiy, and T. Suel. 6th ACM Conference on Web Search and Data Mining, February 2013. 36th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference, July 2013.
- Optimizing Positional Index Structures for Versioned Document Collections. J. He and T. Suel. 35th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference, July 2012.
- To Index or not to Index: Time-Space Trade-Offs in Search Engines with Positional Ranking Functions. D. Arroyuelo, S. Gonzalez, M. Marin, M. Oyarzun, and T. Suel. 35th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference, July 2012.
- Text vs. Space: Efficient Geo-Search Query Processing. M. Christoforaki, J. He, C. Dimopoulos, A. Markowetz, and T. Suel. 20th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, October 2011.
- Faster Temporal Range Queries over Versioned Text. J. He and T. Suel. 34th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference, July 2011.
- Faster Top-k Document Retrieval Using Block-Max Indexes. S. Ding and T. Suel. 34th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference, July 2011.
- Batch Query Processing for Web Search Engines. S. Ding, J. Attenberg, R. Baeza-Yates, and T. Suel. 4th ACM Conference on Web Search and Data Mining, February 2011.
- Improved Index Compression Techniques for Versioned Document Collections. With J. He and J. Zeng. 19th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, October 2010.
- NSF Career Award
- Best Paper Award, WWW Conference, 2005.