City University of New York1970
Doctor of Philosophy, Physics
University of Toledo1964
Bachelor of Science, Engineering Physics
California Institute of Technology
Invited to do collaborative research in Bioengineering
From: June 2014 to September 2014
From: January 2013 to May 2013
Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris 20
From: March 1972 to September 1973
California Institute of Technology
Chevron Distinguished Visiting Professor
From: February 1985 to May 1985
The Aerospace Corp.
Member of Technical Staff
From: February 1990 to May 1990
University of Tokyo
From: February 1997 to May 1997
Polytechnic Institute of NYU
Director, Othmer Institute for Interdisciplinary Research
From: July 2003 to July 2005
FOR ALL PUBLICATIONS VISIT www.mp3l.org
- MR Foreman, D. Keng, E. Treasurer, J. Lopez, S. Arnold. "Whispering gallery mode single nano-particle detection and sizing: the validity of the dipole approximation", Optics Letters 42, 963-966 (2017).
- S. Arnold, D. Keng, E. treasurer, MR Forman. "How Latitude Location on a Micro-World Enables Real-Time Nanoparticle Sizing", in Nano-Optics: Principles Enabling Basic Research and Aplications (Springer, Dordrecht), p.235-245 (2017).
- D. Keng, X. Tan, S. Arnold,"Whispering gallery micro-global positioning system for nanoparticle sizing in real time", Appl. Phys. Lett. 105, 071105 (2014).
- V.R. Dantham, S. Holler, C. Barbre, D. Keng, V. Kolchenko, S. Arnold,"Label-free Dectection of Single Protein using a Nanoplasmonic-Photonic Hybrid Microcavity", Nano Lett. 13, 3347-3351 (2013).
- I.W. Selesnick, S. Arnold, V.R. Dantham, "Polynomial Smoothing of Time Series with Additive Step Discontinuities", IEEE Trans. Signal Pross. 60, 6305-6318(2012).
- S. Arnold, V.R. Dantham, C. Barbre, B.A. Garetz, "Periodic palsmonic enhancing epitopes on a whisperiong gallery mode biosensor", Opt. Express 20, 26147-26159(2012).
- V.R. Dantham, S. Holler, Z. Wan, V. Kolchenko, S. Arnold, "Taking Whispering Gallery Mode Single Virus Detection and Sizing to the Limit" , Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 043704(2012).
- David Ehre, Ke Fang, Janice E. Aber, Stephen Arnold,Michael D. Ward, and Bruce A. Garetz, "Polymorphism in Containerless Crystallization", Cryst. Growth Des. DOI: 10.1021/cg200824h
- S. I. Shopova, R. Rajmangal, S. Holler, S. Arnold, "Plasmonic Enhancement of a Whispering Gallery Mode Biosenor for Single Nanoparticle Detection", Applied Physics Letters 98, 243104(2011).
- S. I. Shopova, R. Rajmangal, Y. Nishida, S. Arnold, “Ultra-sensitive Nanoparticle Detection using a Portable Whispering Gallery Mode Biosensor driven by a PPLN doubled DFB laser”, Rev. Scientific Instruments 81, 103110 (2010).
- Y. Sun, S.I. Shopova, C.S. Wu, S. Arnold, X. Fan, “Optofluidic FRET lasers via DNA scaffolds”, Proc. National Academy of Sciences 107, 15039-16042(2010).
- S. Arnold, S.I. Shopova, and S. Holler, "Whispering Gallery Mode Bio-sensor for label-free detection of single molecules: thermo-optic vs. reactive mechanism, Optics Express 18, 281-287(2010).
- I. Teraoka, and S. Arnold, "Resonance shifts of counter-propagating whispering-gallery modes: degenerate perturbation theory and application to resonator sensors with axial symmetry nanoparticle detection in biosensing", J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 26, 1321 -1329 (2009).
- S. Arnold, D. Keng, S. I. Shopova, S. Holler, W. Zurawsky, and F. Vollmer, "Whispering gallery mode carousel – a photonic mechanism for enhanced nanoparticle detection in biosensing", Opt. Express, 17, 6230-6238 (2009).
- F. Vollmer, S. Arnold, and D. Keng, “Single virus detection from the reactive shift of a whispering-gallery mode”, Proc. National Academy of Sciences, 105, 20701-20704 (2008).
- I. Teraoka and S. Arnold, “Variational principle in whispering gallery mode sensor responses”, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 25, 1038 -1045 (2008).
- F. Vollmer and S. Arnold, "Whispering-gallery-mode biosensing: label-free detection down to single molecules", Nature Methods, 5, 591-596 (2008).
- S. Arnold, R. Ramjit, D. Keng, V. Kolchenko and I. Teraoka, “MicroParticle photophysics illuminates viral bio-sensing”, FARADAY DISCUSSIONS 137, 65-83 (2008).
- I. Teraoka and S. Arnold, “Estimation of surface density of molecules adsorbed on a whispering gallery mode resonator: Utility of isotropic polarizability”, J. of Appl. Phys. 102, 076109 (2007).
- H. Ren, F. Vollmer, S. Arnold and A. Libchaber, “High-Q microsphere biosensor - analysis for adsorption of rodlike bacteria”, Opt. Express 15, 17410 (2007).
- D. Keng, S. R. McAnanama, I. Teraoka, and S. Arnold, “Resonance fluctuations of a whispering gallery mode biosensor by particles undergoing Brownian motion”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 103902 (2007).
- M. Noto, D. Keng, I. Teraoka, and S. Arnold, “Detection of Protein Orientation on the Silica Microsphere Surface using Transverse Electric/Transverse Magnetic Whispering Gallery Modes”, Bio. Phys. J., 92, 4466-4472 (2007).
- I. Teraoka, and S. Arnold, “Coupled whispering gallery modes in a multilayer-coated microsphere”, Opt. Lett. 32, 1147-1149 (2007).
- I. Teraoka, and S. Arnold, “Whispering-gallery modes in a microsphere coated with a high-refractive index layer: polarization-dependent sensitivity enhancement of the resonance-shift sensor and TE–TM resonance matching”, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 24, 653 (2007).
- I. Teraoka, and S. Arnold, “Dielectric property of particles at interface in random sequential adsorption and its application to whispering gallery mode resonance-shift sensors”, J. of Appl. Phys. 101, 023505 (2007).
- O. Gaathon, J. Culic-Viskota, M. Mihnev, I. Teraoka and S. Arnold, “Enhancing sensitivity of a whispering gallery mode biosensor by subwavelength confinement”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 89, 223901 (2006).
- G. Guan, S. Arnold and M. V. Otugen, “Temperature measurements using a microoptical sensor based on whispering gallery modes”, AIAA JOURNAL, Vol. 44, 2385 (2006).
- I. Teraoka and S. Arnold, “Enhancing the sensitivity of a whispering-gallery mode microsphere sensor by a high-refractive-index surface layer”, J. Opt. Soc. Am.B, 23, 1434 (2006).
- I. Teraoka and S. Arnold, “Theory of resonance shifts in TE and TM whispering gallery modes by nonradial perturbations for sensing applications”, J. Opt. Soc. Am.B, 23, 1381 (2006).
- M. Noto, M. Khoshsima, D. Keng, I. Teraoka, V. Kolchenko, and S. Arnold, “Molecular weight dependence of a whispering gallery mode biosensor”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 223901 (2005).
- M. Noto, F. Vollmer, D. Keng, I. Teraoka, S. Arnold, “Nanolayer characterization through wavelength multiplexing of a microsphere resonator”, Opt. Lett. 30, No. 5 (2005).
- J. Aber, S. Arnold, B. Garetz, “Strong dc Electric Field Applied to Supersaturated Aqueous Glycine Solution Induces Nucleation of the gamma Polymorph”, Physical Review Letters 94,145503 (2005).
- F. Vollmer, S. Arnold, D. Braun, I. Teraoka, A. Libchaber, “Multiplexed DNA Quantification by Spectroscopic Shift of Two Microsphere Cavities” Bio. Phys. J., 85, 1974-1979, (2003).
- I. Teraoka, S. Arnold, F. Vollmer, “Perturbation Approach to Resonance Shift of Whispering Gallery Modes in Dielectric Microspheres as a Probe of a Surrounding Medium”, J. Opt. Soc. B 20, 1937-1946 (2003).
- S. Arnold, M. Khoshsima, I. Teraoka, S. Holler, F. Vollmer, “Shift of Whispering Gallery Modes in Microspheres by Protein Adsorption”, Opt. Lett. 28, 272-274 (2003).
Whispering Gallery Mode Biosensing
Organic Molecular Crystals
- Optical Biosensors with I. Teraoka (CBS)
- Light Induced Nucleation with B. Garetz (CBS)
- Nano-particle Transport in Fluids by Photons with W. Zurawsky (CBE)
- Micro-sensors with V.T. Otugen (ME)
- Micro-Photonics with G. Griffel (ECE)
- MicroParticle Enhanced Energy Transfer with L.M. Folan (Physics)
- American Physical Society (Fellow)
- Optical Society of America (Fellow)
- Tau Beta Pi
- Fellow-American Physical Society (1990-present)
- Fellow-Optical Society of America (1988-present)
- Fellow-Alfred P. Sloan Foundation (1981)
- Visiting Scholar, Harvard (Spring, 2013)
- John J. Turin Award for Outstanding Career Accomplishments in Physics, University of Toledo(2000),
- Visiting Scholar University of Tokyo (Spring, 1997)
- Outstanding Publication Award, Oak Ridge National Lab (1994)
- Sigma Xi Award for Distinguished Scientific Research (1986)
- Chevron Distinguished Visiting Prof. California Institute of Technology (Spring, 1985)
- Othmer-Potts Senior Faculty Fellow (2001-Present)
- University Professor (1996-Present)
- Thomas Potts Professor of Physics (1985-Present)
System and Method for sizing nano-particles realtime, (Utility)
No. 9,709,476 Issued-July 18, 2017, Filed- Sept. 18, 2014
Plasmonic Enhancement of a WGM Biosensor, (Utility)
Issued- June 23, 2013, Filed August 9, 2011
Functionalizing a Sensing Ribbon on WGM with Light, (Utility)
No. 8,642,111 Issued-Feb 4, 2014, Filed May 19, 2010
Syringe-based Whispering Gallery Mode Micro-resonator Biochem Sen, (Utility)
Description: No. 8,886,270 Issued Nov.11, 2014, Filed-April 20, 2011
Detecting and/or Measuring Substance based on Resonance Shifts..., (Utility)
No. 7,491,491 Issued-February 17, 2009, Filed- Mar 12, 2002