What We Do and How We Do It
Our Tutoring Philosophy
What Students Can Expect From Us
- We are a student-centered, student-friendly tutoring center, as we seek to maximize the full academic potential of all NYU-Tandon undergraduate students.
- We provide quality tutoring by deploying active and student-engaged pedagogical practices that allow students to capitalize on their strengths and improve upon what they may not understand so well.
- Our tutoring method is built upon active learning. To that end, we interact with our students employing a question-and-answer, back-and-forth style that is meant to provide students with a solid grounding in what they are learning and how they are learning it.
- We position ourselves as mentors to first-year students, modeling and encouraging them to develop both help-seeking behaviors and mature learning strategies that they can deploy throughout their academic, professional, and personal lives.
- We position ourselves as an extension of and supplement to the primary instructional space (lectures and recitations) for the courses we support.
What We Expect of Our Students
- Our tutoring method is designed to be student led, so it is important that our students be prepared to articulate their thoughts as they actively engage in the problem-solving process. Our tutors do not lecture or re-teach material. Rather, they are trained to help students pinpoint areas of confusion and guide them through the process of getting “unstuck.”
- We expect our students to have already attempted their homework or other assigned material and come with specific questions for the tutors.
- We encourage students to participate actively with the tutor in their tutoring session.