for medical school, dental school, and other health related professional schools
Applying to health professional schools is a significant undertaking with many moving parts.
Most health professional schools require applicants to submit applications more than a year before they plan to matriculate and require, in addition to the completion of the prehealth course sequence, letters of recommendation, evidence of extracurricular involvement, standardized test scores, essays and interviews.
Applicants are expected to participate in the process and stay informed of application procedures in the following ways:
- Subscribe to the Tandon Prehealth listserve! This is the listing that we will be utilizing to send out information and reminders about informative events, updates, and reminders.
- Stay up-to-date with announcements and events by reading the weekly Prehealth E-newsletter, The Medical Record, and by monitoring the Prehealth Calendar of Events!
- Complete Tandon's Prehealth Professions course - PHP-UY 4000. This is required for all students applying to medical school prior to their receipt of a committee letter. We recommend you complete it in your year of application or the final year of your undergraduate studies if you're choosing to complete a gap year or more.
- Review the Medical School Application Timeline.
- Submit your Intent to Apply to medical school by November 1st 2 years prior to the fall term in which you want to begin your studies.
- Submit your Tandon Prehealth Committee Letter Application by February 1st 1 year prior to the fall term in which you intend to begin your studies.
How to Prepare
I am a Tandon student and I think I'm prehealth! What do I do?
- Are you really decided? Speak to a Prehealth adviser: Sara-Lee Ramsawak.
- Enlist the services of ListServ
- find them in your HOME.NYU.EDU page under NYU Lists.
- You can also get an introduction from the NYU CAS Pre-Health advisers. While they can help to advise you, your committee letter process will be processed through the Tandon Prehealth Committee.
- Find out any specific requirements for entry from the school(s) of your choice
- Introductory information can be found by going to a NYU Tandon Prehealth Infosession