Registration Forms | NYU Tandon School of Engineering

Registration Forms

Undergraduate and Graduate Forms

Course Add/Drop/Withdrawal Form

Enroll in or drop/withdraw from a School of Engineering course when you cannot do so online for special circumstances. This form may be used for audit requests (graduate students) and variable credit course permission (undergraduate and graduate students). Exceptions such as enrollment in closed classes or the waiving of course pre- or co-requisites can be processed by registering in Albert Student Center with a permission number obtained from the pertinent department. 

Credit Limit Override 

Full-time undergraduate students may register for 12-18 credits (all credits in excess of 18 are charged at the per credit rate). Graduate students may register for a maximum of 11 credits.
Credit ‘overloads’ are approved on a case-by-case basis and dependent upon a student’s academic performance. Students who wish to appeal for overload must submit a Credit Limit Overload Form to the Office of Undergraduate/Graduate Academics Affairs. If approved, your Albert account will be updated to allow registration for the number of approved credits.

Leave of Absence

Submit your request for an approved leave of absence, total withdrawal, or term withdrawal in your Albert Student Center by clicking the “Request Leave of Absence

Time Conflict Approval Form

Enrolling for two courses with overlapping meeting times is prohibited as per the School of Engineering policy. This form is only to be used if a student, with the agreement of their adviser and course instructors, believes that extenuating circumstances warrant an exception to this rule. Please attach a signed Drop/Add form with the signed Time Conflict Approval form and submit BOTH forms to the School of Engineering Office of Records and Registration in LC 260, 262, or 264 or email to for consideration.

Total Withdrawal

Students who intend to withdraw from their program at the School of Engineering must submit a Total Withdrawal request via Albert Student Center. Requests must be approved by the Office of Academic Affairs (undergraduate) or the Office of Graduate Academics (graduate). If an enrolled student totally withdraws from the School of Engineering prior to the Withdrawal Deadline, s/he will receive W grades. Mere absence from courses does not constitute official withdrawal, and failure to submit the appropriate forms by the published deadline will result in F grades for courses not completed.

Waiver of Co-Requisite Withdrawal

Students who are withdrawing from a course (dropping a course after the add/drop deadline) that requires a co-requisite should complete this form if they are dropping only one course in a co-requisite group. This form should accompany the Drop/Add form.

Undergraduate Only

Disqualification Appeal

Your appeal must include an explanatory essay and be approved by your academic advisor and the Director of Academic Affairs.

Permission to Complete Courses at an Exchange Site

You must receive permission from your advisor and obtain equivalent course information from the corresponding School of Engineering Department(s) and your major academic advisor.

NYU Study Away Course Equivalency Form

This form will indicate what the courses taken abroad will count as in terms of your degree plan. For example, a free elective, a Level 2 CAM course, or Physics II.

Permission to Complete Courses Outside of NYU 

Get permission to take a class at another college or university for transfer credit. You must complete this form BEFORE you enroll in the course by receiving permission from your advisor and obtaining equivalent course information from the corresponding School of Engineering Department. 

Request to Register for MAINT-UY 4747

Enroll in MAINT-UY 4747 – Maintenance of Matriculation. If you have finished your courses, but still need time to complete other academic requirements, e.g., theses, projects, or incomplete grades, you may want to enroll in MAINT-UY 4747 – Maintenance of Matriculation in order to maintain your status as a matriculated student, which is required to graduate from the university. To enroll, you will write an essay explaining why you were unable to complete your work in the time allotted. 

Declare Major, Change Major, or Remove Secondary Major Form

Students will complete the minor application form on Albert Student center, following these instructions.

Request to Declare a Double Major

Tandon students are eligible to complete a second (non-primary) major in a distinct discipline other than their primary declared major, both within the Tandon School of Engineering and at other undergraduate schools of NYU. Declaring a second major is an option for all undergraduate students at Tandon as long as they are in good academic standing and receive approval from authorized personnel from both academic departments. Students are required to complete all degree requirements for each major; some courses may be double counted towards both majors at the discretion of both academic departments.

It is important to be aware that declaring a second major will likely increase a students’ time to completion at NYU and can impact financial aid. More information and instructions can be found on the NYU Tandon Non-primary (Double) Major Declaration form. You must attach the degree completion worksheet.

Study Abroad Through a Tandon Exchange Program Application Form

Time Limit Extension Appeal

If you do not complete your degree requirements within the 8-year time limit, you must complete this form in order to be allowed to finish your degree. You must write an essay explaining why you were not able to finish your degree within the allotted time. 

Graduate Only

View additional Forms for Graduate Students.