A Historical Tour of NYU-Poly
- historypin.com June 10th, 2013
- Source: http://www.historypin.com/attach/uid13736298/tours/view/id/13402019/title/An%20Historical%20Tour%20of%20NYU-Poly
Soon after the charter for the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute was granted in 1854, the Board of Trustees purchased a piece of land in the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York. This site at 99 Livingston Street became the first home of what is now the Polytechnic Institute of New York University (NYU-Poly). By the 1950s, the university had grown out of its original campus and acquired new buildings on Jay Street in Downtown Brooklyn, less than half a mile away.
This tour covers the movement and evolution of the campus over the last 150 years. The growth of the university spurred changes along Jay Street and the construction of MetroTech BID (Business Improvement District).
Follow along as NYU-Poly and Brooklyn grow up together and please add to the tour by placing Historypin Repeats of current photographs around the neighborhood and the university.