Prof. Jiang is known for his contributions to stability and control of interconnected nonlinear systems, and is a key contributor to the nonlinear small-gain theory. His recent research focuses on robust adaptive dynamic programming, distributed nonlinear control, and their applications to computational and systems neuroscience, connected and autonomous vehicles, and cyber-physical systems.
Prof. Jiang is a Deputy co-Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE/CAA Journal of Automatica Sinica and the Journal of Control and Decision, an Editor for the International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control and has served as Senior Editor for the IEEE Control Systems Letters (L-CSS), Associate Editor and/or Guest Editor for several journals including Mathematics of Control, Signals and Systems, Systems & Control Letters, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, European Journal of Control, and Science China: Information Sciences.
Stability of interconnected systems
Nonlinear control theory and applications
Robust adaptive dynamic programming
Control of underactuated mechanical systems - for example, mobile robots, ships, underwater systems
Energy and power systems
Tools for cyber-physical systems
Ecole des Mines de Paris (ParisTech-Mines), France, 1993
Doctor of Philosophy, Automatic Control and Mathematics
University of Paris XI, 1989
Master of Science, Statistics
University of Wuhan, 1988
Bachelor of Science, Mathematics
New York University
From: September 2007 to present
From: September 2002 to August 2007
From: January 1999 to August 2002
Working with Professor David Hill.
From: May 1996 to May 1998
The Australian National University
Working with Prof. Iven Mareels
From: May 1994 to April 1996
The main responsibility was to solve a long-standing open problem related to the attitude control of a spacecraft with only two control inputs, and to develop novel tools and methods for underactuated mechanical systems.
From: October 1993 to April 1994
Selected Recent Papers
- W. Gao, J. Gao, K. Ozbay and Z. P. Jiang, Reinforcement-learning-based cooperative adaptive cruise control of buses in the Lincoln Tunnel corridor with time-varying topology, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 2019. DOI 10.1109/TITS.2019.2895285
- Z. P. Jiang and T. Liu, Small-gain theory for stability and control of dynamical networks: A survey, Annual Reviews in Control, Vol. 46, pp. 58-79, Oct. 2018. DOI: 10.1016/j.arcontrol.2018.09.001. (Invited Paper)
- W. Gao, Z. P. Jiang and K. Ozbay, Data-driven adaptive optimal control of connected vehicles, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 1122-1133, 2017.
- W. Gao and Z. P. Jiang, Nonlinear and adaptive suboptimal control of connected vehicles: a global adaptive dynamic programming approach, Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, Vol. 85, pp. 597-611, 2017.
- T. Bian and Z. P. Jiang, Value iteration and adaptive dynamic programming for data-driven adaptive optimal control design, Automatica, vol. 71, pp. 348–-360, Sept. 2016.
- Y. Jiang and Z. P. Jiang, Global adaptive dynamic programming for continuous-time nonlinear systems, IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, Vol. 60, No. 11, pp. 2917-2929, Nov. 2015.
- T. Bian, Y. Jiang and Z. P. Jiang, Decentralized adaptive optimal control of large-scale systems with application to power systems, IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, pp. 2439-2447, April 2015.
- T. Liu and Z. P. Jiang, A small-gain approach to robust event-triggered control of nonlinear systems, IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol. 60, No. 8, pp. 2072-2085, Aug. 2015.
- Y. Jiang and Z. P. Jiang, Adaptive dynamic programming as a theory of sensorimotor control, Biological Cybernetics, Vol. 108, pp. 459-473, 2014.
- Z. P. Jiang and T. Liu, Quantized nonlinear control - a survey, Special Issue in Celebration of the 50th Birthday of Acta Automatica Sinica, Acta Automatica Sinica, 39(11): 1820-1830, Nov. 2013. (Invited Paper)
- Z. P. Jiang and Y. Jiang, Robust adaptive dynamic programming for linear and nonlinear systems: An overview, European J. Control, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 417-425, 2013.
- T. Liu and Z. P. Jiang, Distributed formation control of nonholonomic mobile robots without global position measurements, Automatica, Vol. 49, pp. 592-600, 2013
- Stability and Stabilization of Nonlinear Systems. London: Springer-Verlag, June 2011. (with I. Karafyllis)
- Nonlinear Control of Dynamic Networks. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, April 2014. (with T. Liu and D. J. Hill)
- Robust Adaptive Dynamic Programming. Wiley-IEEE Press, 2017. (with Y. Jiang)
- Nonlinear Control Under Information Constraints. Science Press, Beijing, China, 2018. (with T. Liu)
My Control and Networks (CAN) Lab.mainly focuses on interdisciplinary problems at the interface of control, computing and communications as well as on optimal feedback mechanisms in movement science.
- Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researcher in 2018
- Fellow of the CAA (2017)
- Fellow of the IFAC (2013)
- Fellow of the IEEE (2008)
- Steve and Rosalind Hsia Biomedical Paper Award at 2016 WCICA.
- Best Conference Paper Award at 2015 IEEE Conf. on Information and Automation, Lijiang, China.
- Shimemura Young Author Prize (with my student Yu Jiang as the lead author) at the 2013 Asian Control Conf. in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Guan Zhao-Zhi Best Paper Award at the 2011 Chinese Control Conference.
- Best Theoretic Paper Award at the 2008 World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, Chongqin.
- Changjiang Chair Professorship at Beijing University (2009).
- Distinguished Overseas Chinese Scholar Award from the NSF of China (2007)
- JSPS Invitation Fellowship from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (2005)
- NSF CAREER Award from the National Science Foundation (2001).
- Queen Elizabeth II Research Fellowship Award from the Australian Research Council (1998).