Ways to Join TRIO
Become a TRIO Scholar
Am I eligible?
To participate in the TRIO Scholars Program, you must meet certain requirements. You may be eligible if you:
- Are enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at NYU Tandon School of Engineering
- Are a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States
- Have a demonstrated academic need
In addition, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- Are modest-income according to government guidelines
- Are a first-generation college student, i.e., neither of your parents completed a bachelor's degree.
- If you are neuro-diverse, have a learning, or physical disability you may also qualify. You must self-disclose your disability status and obtain a referral form from the Moses Center for Students with Disabilities.
How do I apply?
You can apply for the program (and have your eligibility confirmed) by completing the TRIO Application Form.
Note: Space in our program is limited to 250 students each academic year and admission is on a first-come-first-served basis.
Become a TRIO Scholars Peer Tutor
To be considered for a peer tutor position in our office, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be eligible to work on campus
- Have Sophomore status or above (completed at least 32 credits)
- Have successfully completed at least one semester at Tandon
- Have a strong overall GPA (3.2 or above)
- Have high grades (A or A-) in each subject you are interested in tutoring
- Have good communication skills (listening as well as speaking!) and be able to explain material to a variety of individuals (not only technical students)
- Previous experience in teaching, tutoring, or youth leadership is a plus.
- For graduate students: in addition to the qualities listed above, you will need to be familiar with the Tandon undergraduate curriculum and teaching methods
If you are interested in applying for a peer tutor position in our office, please look for and complete our application on Handshake. Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria and apply to tutor courses where there is a demand will be contacted regarding the interview process. Only those applications submitted via Handshake will be reviewed and considered for the peer tutor position.