Graduate Services | NYU Tandon School of Engineering

Graduate Services

Office of Graduate Academics

NYU Tandon banner on campus

The Office of Graduate Academics provides administrative support to the faculty, staff, and students of the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. Our office works with students, department chairs, and academic advisers to assist students having academic difficulty, resolve unexpected administrative issues, and create departmental policies. As a member of the Graduate Curriculum and Standards Committee (GCSC), we help faculty develop new programs, create new courses, improve current courses, and establish guidelines to enrich the quality of education offered by NYU Tandon. In addition, our office assists faculty, staff, and students in interpreting and applying the policies and standards of NYU Tandon.


Peter Voltz
Associate Dean for Undergraduate and Graduate Academics 

Racquel Cooper
Senior Director of Graduate Academics 

Joseph Anderson, Jr.
Manager of Graduate Academics 

Jose Ulerio
Industry Professor

Graduate Student Forms

Thesis, Project, Dissertation, and Internships

M.S. Thesis and Project Report Guidelines

Ph.D. Dissertation Guidelines

Policies for Graduate Internships (CP-GY) 

Request for Appointment or Reconstitution of Ph.D. Guidance Committee
Within six (6) months of passing the Ph.D. qualifying examination(s), Ph.D. students and their dissertation advisors must form or appoint a dissertation guidance committee. Use this form to identify the members of the committee. In addition, two (2) weeks prior to defending the final Ph.D. dissertation, Ph.D. students will be required to reconstitute the guidance committee. Submit this form to Prof. Jose Ulerio in 6 MetroTech Center/Rogers Hall, 4th floor, room 413.

Request to Schedule Dissertation Defense for the Ph.D. Degree
Ph.D. students will use this form to schedule their final Ph.D. dissertation defense. Submit it to Prof. Jose Ulerio (6 MetroTech Center/Rogers Hall, 4th floor, room 413) no later than two (2) weeks prior to the scheduled date. An electronic copy of the student's abstract must be included.

M.S. Conferral Request for Ph.D. Students
Oftentimes, Ph.D. students will coincidentally meet the requirements for the M.S. degree in the same field as their Ph.D. In such cases, Ph.D. students may be awarded an M.S. degree, while continuing to work towards their Ph.D. For Ph.D. students who want to receive an M.S. degree, discuss with your advisor the requirements of the corresponding M.S. degree, then complete this form and submit it to the Office of Graduate Academics.

Request to Change Major
After grades are in for the first term of study, certificate and M.S. students in good academic standing are eligible for major change consideration. No major changes are allowed during the first term of study. As well, major change requests must be submitted prior to the end of the add/drop period for the student's penultimate semester. No major changes are allowed during the final semester of study. Approval is required from the student's current department, the department of the new intended major, and the Office of Graduate Academics. Students are only permitted to change majors once. Please note that this form cannot be used to move up a degree level — for example, from an M.S. to a Ph.D. Ph.D. students may not use this form to change Ph.D. programs. Ph.D. students must submit another admissions application to switch from one Ph.D. program to another. Please type your information in on this form. Only your signature may be written by hand.

Request Time Extension to Complete Degree
The program for a graduate certificate must be completed within 3 years. The M.S. degree programs must be completed within 5 years. For Ph.D. students admitted in Spring 2019 and afterward: the degree must be completed within 6 years for full-time students transferring in 24 or more credits, 7 years for full-time students transferring in less than 24 credits, and 9 years for part-time students, counting from the start of admission into the Ph.D. program. For Ph.D. students admitted prior to Spring 2019: the Ph.D. program must be completed in 6 years for full-time students and 12 years for part-time students from the time of admission for graduate studies at NYU Tandon. Students may use this form to request an extension exceeding these time limits. For more information on time limits, please see the NYU Tandon Bulletin.

Acknowledgment of Academic Probation
Students are placed on Academic Probation when their cumulative GPA drops below 3.0. All students on academic probation are required to meet with their academic advisor to discuss a plan to improve their academic progress and to obtain approval for the courses they will be taking in the coming semester. You must then complete the Acknowledgment of Academic Probation form with your advisor and submit it to the Office of Graduate Academics.

The Academic Probation Hold, YA0, is placed on Albert for all students on academic probation, and prevents students from adding or dropping courses. Once the Acknowledgment of Academic Probation form is submitted, the YA0 hold is replaced with either a YA1 hold, for students on academic probation for the first time, or a YA2 hold, for students on academic probation for the second and final time. The YA1 hold will allow unrestricted registration until the end of the add/drop period. The YA2 hold will prevent registration and course adjustments beginning on a date determined by Graduate Academics, normally prior to the first day of the semester. This restriction is due to the fact that students on final academic probation are expected to finalize their academic schedules prior to the start of the term, so that they are prepared to begin attending classes immediately. For tracking purposes, the YA1 and YA2 holds remain indefinitely. However, the YA1 hold has no impact on registration, and the YA2 hold will expire once the student's GPA reaches 3.0 or higher.  

Acknowledgment of Disqualification and Successful Appeal
Students are academically disqualified from further study at NYU Tandon if their cumulative GPA is below 3.0 for more than two semesters (semesters do not have to be sequential). Students who have been disqualified may appeal to the Graduate Appeals Committee for one final semester of study. If the Committee approves, then the student must meet with his/her academic advisor and complete the Acknowledgment of Disqualification and Successful Appeal form. After the advisor and student have signed the form, the student will then give the form to the Office of Graduate Academics.

A YA3 hold will be placed on Albert for students who have been granted an extra semester. This hold blocks all registration activity on a date to be determined by Graduate Academics, normally before the start of the new semester. Students must make all registration changes before the YA3 hold takes effect. Students approved for post-disqualification terms are no longer eligible to receive a Leave of Absence.

Appeal of Academic Disqualification Form
This form is to be used by graduate (M.S. and Ph.D.) students who wish to appeal their academic disqualification from NYU Tandon.

Additional Forms