Events, Marketing, and Travel
Student clubs at the Tandon School of Engineering are encouraged to plan and hold meetings, events and programs. OSL&E is here to support club leaders in their preparation and implementation, make sure to set-up a time to speak with your Club Contact for further guidance on holding events at the School of Engineering.
Program Planning Guide (pdf) - a timeline of when you should turn in forms, market your event, and more!
The Green Events Standard is required for events with 48+ people but can be applied to all events for a more sustainable experience.
Note: All paperwork must be turned in at least 3 weeks out of your proposed program. That means that your club should be starting to plan at least 4 weeks out from the event date.
STEP 1: Brainstorming and Event Development
During the event planning stage, your club should be discussing all aspects of your event from time/date and location preferences to budgeting and event needs (catering, media, etc.). If you will need extra funding for your event, you should be submitting a supplemental funding request through NYU Engage at this point.
STEP 2: Submit Event Request Form
All events must be registered with OSL&E via NYU Engage's Event Request Form. This form must be filled out for each event or meeting held or tabling done by your organization and must be submitted through NYU Engage. It should be submitted at least three weeks before the program.
Available Spaces (5 Metrotech Center, Dibner Library Building):
- LC223 (The HUB), Capacity: 35 - View Availability
- LC400, Capacity: 75 - View Availability
- Pfizer Auditorium, Capacity: 271 - View Availability
Available Space (6 Metrotech Center, Rogers Hall/Jacobs Academic Building):
- MakerSpace Event Space, Capacity: 110 - View Availability
- MakerSpace Foyer, Capacity: 50 - View Availability
- Tabling Outside Jasper Kane Cafeteria, 4 Tables Available - View Availability
- Classrooms in Rogers Hall/Jacobs Academic Building - View Capacities
Available Space (2 Metrotech Center, 10th Floor):
- York Street Conference Room (#1038), Capacity: 14 - View Availability
- Clark Street (#1051), Capacity: 6 - View Availability
- Student Engagement Suite (#1054), Capacity: 74 - View Availability
For questions about all other spaces, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP 3: Event Logistics:
Design: If you think you will need help with graphic design for your event, now is the time to submit a Design Request Form via NYU Engage.
Advertising: Once your marketing materials are designed, you will need to get OSL&E approval before hanging posters on campus, using the digital boards, etc. You can get approval for event marketing materials by submitting the Advertising Request Form on NYU Engage.
Catering: If your event or activity requires catering, once your club has received approval on the Event Request form through NYU Engage, you may order catering through NYU Dining Services online or an outside vendor. If ordering through NYU Dining, your request will be checked against your budget and approved by OSL&E.
STEP 4: Promoting your event
See the Marketing section below
STEP 5: Day-of Event Logistics
Some things to think about: volunteer coordination and training, safety plan and emergency contacts, signage, accessibility of the venue, work order numbers for custom setups, etc. Also, don't forget to track attendance via NYU Engage!
STEP 6: Payments and Reimbursements
STEP 7: After the Event
Once your event has been completed make sure to:
- Fully clean up the venue space
- Evaluation and feedback - this can be done through NYU Engage automatically!
- Thank yous and report back to donors
- Pay invoices
- Reflection - what went well? what did not go well?
To have a successful event you must advertise it! We offer multiple ways for your student club to get the word out about your program beyond the typical email. Make sure to fill out our Advertising Request Form (linked above), so that we can help you market.
Some common areas at the School of Engineering:
- Digital Board - 5MTC and 6MTC
- Bulletin boards for posters and fliers - 5MTC and 6MTC
- Tabling outside of Jasper Kane Dining Hall (6MTC)
- Post to the OrgSync events calendar
Digital Marketing available through the OSARC:
- Tandon Times weekly newsletter
- Social media - on a case by case basis
All student clubs are required to register travel with Student Activities. Travel is defined as any outing, trip, etc. that happens outside of the five boroughs of NYC. Make sure to submit the below paperwork to the OSL&E at a minimum of three weeks ahead of time. Staff may ask for an in-person meeting to discuss your travel plans. For information on funding for travel, please see the Funding & Financials tab.
Required for Domestic and International Travel:
Student Travel Request Form (NYU Engage form)
This must be filled out for any travel happening outside of the five boroughs of NYC. All students included on the registration template will be added to the NYU Tandon Student Travel Registration site on Brightspace. Through the Travel Registration site, individual student participants will:
- Submit their travel details including emergency contact information, transportation (flight, bus, train, etc.) details, and lodging details.
- Complete, sign, and submit an Off-Campus Travel Waiver and Assumption of Risk Form.
- Complete pre- and post-trip career preparation modules.
- Submit proof of attendance including boarding passes.
- Review information on how to submit reimbursements.
NYU Traveler (website)
NYU Traveler was created to provide the NYU community with tools and services for their travel needs and to help keep them safer. University-related travel may now be booked or registered through NYU Traveler. Completing the NYU Tandon Student Travel Registration process on Brightspace ensures that your trip and all your participants will be registered with NYU Traveler.
For International Travel:
All student clubs looking to travel internationally must set up an in-person meeting with Student Activities to review all policies and aspects of the anticipated trip. See the International Travel checklist (pdf) for additional information.