Please note that for Fall 2019 admission, the priority application deadline is December 15, 2018, and the regular application deadline is February 15, 2019 (for full-time). More information on the application process and deadlines is available on the Graduate Admissions page.
- Pre-Program Boot Camp: In order to help our students reach their maximum potential, the FRE department provides exciting two-part pre-program boot camp series for incoming students to partake in during the summer leading up to the program. The boot camp takes place in two parts; the first part is online (and is optional) and the second part (mandatory) is in-person and begins the first week of August. Topics covered include: Calculus, Linear Algebra, Python Programming, Probability, Statistics & Risk Management.
- Customized Educational Experience: NYU Tandon MSFE students have the flexibility to tailor their academic and professional focus in a way that best suits their interests and backgrounds. The Tandon MSFE is not a “one-size-fits-all” program, and is proud to have graduates beginning their careers in a range of functions within industry; from Traders, to Desk Quants, Risk Analysts, Software Developers and beyond.
- Large Course Offering: Over 50 department-specific courses are offered to the Tandon MSFE students each semester.
- Small Class Sizes: The NYU Tandon MSFE average class size is around 15 students, and no classes are larger than 30.
- MSFE Career Guidance: In addition to the resources provided by the university-wide NYU Wasserman Career Center MSFE students have the benefit of receiving career support through the in-house FRE Department Career Resources as well. From FRE alumni networking events, to recruiting presentations, resume reviews, and mock interviews; there is no shortage of resources available to students in the program. The FRE Career Placement Director works closely with students in the program to provide the resources and guidance they need to succeed.
- Weekly Seminars with Industry Practitioners: Students are exposed to industry practitioners regularly through our FRE Seminars and Events as well as the Quantitative Finance Weekly Seminar.
- Industry Connectivity: For the Tandon MSFE, integration with industry not just a “nice to have,” it’s a “must have.” In the 2018-19 academic year, over 10 new professors were brought on board from industry, and that number continues to grow. The program is constantly evolving and adapting to the ever-changing climate of the industry and markets.
- Distinguished Thought Leadership: The department Chair, Professor Peter Carr, brings years of experience leading global quant groups at Morgan Stanley and Bloomberg as well as accomplishments ranging from being named Risk Magazine’s 2003 Quant of the Year and the 2010 IAQF/SunGard Financial Engineer of the Year, to making Institutional Investor’s Tech 50 List (2013-2015) and beyond. Like Peter, the program is proud to have former trader and influential author Dr. Nassim Nicholas Taleb, the global bestselling author of The Black Swan, Antifragile, and other world-renowned publications. Rounding out Tandon’s complement of thought leaders is Tandon’s MSFE Program Founder, Professor Charles Tapiero, the Topfer Chair Distinguished Professor of Financial Engineering and Technology Management and co-founder and co-editor in chief of Risk and Decision Analysis.
For questions about the application process, application status, or to speak with an admissions counselor:
Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions
NYU Tandon School of Engineering
6 MetroTech Center
Brooklyn, NY 11201