Professor Delaram Kahrobaei is currently the chair of cyber security at University of York (U.K.) as well as adjunct Professor at the New York University. Her recent interests are data mining over encrypted data, as well as post-quantum cryptography. Her research has been supported by grants from ONR, NSF, NSA, AAAS, NASA, IHP, AWM, RF-CUNY among others. Seven PhD students under her supervision have finished their doctorate and obtained prestigious employment within industry and academia. She has given numerous (200) invited lectures around the world.
Research Interests: Cyber Security, Post-quantum Cryptography, Fully Homomorphic Machine Learning, Data Science, Applied Algebra
CUNY Graduate Center, 2004
City College of New York, City University of New York, 2004
Master of Arts, Computer Science
Claremont Graduate University, 2004
Master of Science, Applied Mathematics
Sharif University of Technology, 1998
Bachelor of Science, Applied Mathematics and Computer Science
Liberal Studies Program, CUNY Graduate Center
Graduate Faculty, M.S. Program in Data Analysis and Visualization
From: September 2017 to present
CUNY Graduate Center
Graduate Faculty, M.S. Program in Data Science
From: September 2017 to present
City University of New York, Graduate Center
Full Professor, Doctoral Faculty, PhD Program in Computer Science
From: September 2006 to present
Institute Henri Poincare
January – April, 2016
September 19 – October 2, 2017
November 14 –27, 2017
From: January 2014 to February 2018
Sorbonne University, LIP6, Quantum Information lab, PolSys lab
November 21–28, 2016
March 9-17, 2017
From: September 2016 to August 2017
Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya
From: June 2013 to December 2013
University of Toronto
From: June 2011 to August 2011
University of St Andrews
Assistant Professor in Pure Mathematics
From: August 2004 to September 2006
Universite de Geneve
January 2005/June 2005/January 2006
From: January 2005 to February 2006
IHES-Institute des Hautes Etudes Scientifiques
From: November 2004 to December 2004
Hunter College, CUNY
From: January 2000 to June 2004
- J. Gryak, D. Kahrobaei, C. Martinez-Perez, On the conjugacy problem in certain metabelian groups, Glasgow Mathematical Journal, , Cambridge University Press, https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.06503, 1–20 (2018).
- J. Gryak, R. Haralick, D. Kahrobaei, Solving the Conjugacy Decision Problem via Machine Learning, Experimental Mathematics, Taylor & Francis, 1–13, 10.1080/10586458.2018.1434704 (2018).
- A. Gribov, D. Kahrobaei, V. Shpilrain, Practical Private-key Fully Homomorphic Encryption in Rings, Groups Complexity Cryptology, De Gruyter, (to appear), 1–14, (2018).
- I. Chatterji, D. Kahrobaei, N. Y. Lu, Cryptosystems Using Subgroup Distortion, Theoretical and Applied Infor- matics 29, 14–24 (2017).
- G. Di Crescenzo, D. Kahrobaei, M. Khodjaeva, V. Shpilrain, Practical and Secure Delegation of Exponentiations over Discrete-Log Groups to a Single Malicious Server, CCSW ’17 Proceedings of the 2017 on Cloud Computing Security Workshop, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), 17–28 (2017).
- G. Di Crescenzo, D. Kahrobaei, M. Khodjaeva, V. Shpilrain, Computing Multiple Exponentiations: From Batch Verification to Batch Delegation, IEEE Conference on Communications and Network Security IEEE CNS 2017, the Third IEEE Workshop on Security and Privacy in the Cloud (SPC) 531–539 (2017).
- B. Cavallo, J. Delgado, D. Kahrobaei, E. Ventura, Algorithmic Recognition of Infinite-Cyclic-Extentions, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, Elsevier, 221 (2017) 2157–2179.
- S. Molaei, K. Horan, B. Nallamothu, D. Kahrobaei, M. Shiri, K. Najarian Deep Convolutional Neural Networks for Left Ventricle Segmentation, Conference proceeding, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society conference (EMBC’17) 668–671 (2017).
- R. Flores, D. Kahrobaei, Cryptography with Right-angled Artin Groups, Theoretical and Applied Informatics 28 (2016), no. 3, pp. 8–16 DOI: 10.20904/283008
- J. Gryak, D. Kahrobaei, The Status of the Polycyclic Group-Based Cryptography: A Survey and Open Problems, Groups Complexity Cryptology, De Gruyter, Volume 8, Issue 2, 171–186 (2016).
- D. Kahrobaei, V. Shpilrain, Invited Paper: Using semidirect product of (semi)groups in public key cryptography, Computability in Europe 2016, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, LNCS 9709, Pursuit of the Universal, 132–141 (2016).
- D. Garber, D. Kahrobaei, H. T. Lam, Length Based attack for Polycyclic Groups, Journal of Mathematical Cryp- tology, De Gruyter, 33-44 (2015).
- B. Cavallo, G. Di Crescenzo, D. Kahrobaei, V. Shpilrain, Efficient and Secure Delegation of Group Exponentiation to a Single Server, RFIDsec 2015, Springer Lecture Notes Computer Science 9440 (2015), 156–173.
- D. Kahrobaei, C. Koupparis, and V. Shpilrain, A CCA secure cryptosystem using matrices over group rings, Contemporary Mathematics 633, American Mathematical Society, 73–80 (2015).
- B. Cavallo, D. Kahrobaei, Secret sharing using the Shortlex order and non-commutative groups, Contemporary Mathematics 633, American Mathematical Society, 1–8, (2015).
- B. Cavallo, D. Kahrobaei, A Polynomial Time Algorithm For The Conjugacy Decision and Search Problems in Free Abelian-by-Infinite Cyclic Groups, Reports@SCM 1, No. 1, Electronic Journal of the Societat Catalana de Matematiques, 55–61 (2014).
- D. Kahrobaei, H. T. Lam, Heisenberg groups as platform for the AAG key-exchange protocol, 2014 IEEE 22nd International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP), IEEE, 660–664 (2014).
- M. Habeeb, D. Kahrobaei, C. Koupparis, and V. Shpilrain, Public key exchange using semidirect product of (semi)groups, in: ACNS 2013, Applied Cryptography and Network Security, Lecture Notes Comp. Sc. 7954 (2013), 475–486.
- A. Douglas, D. Kahrobaei, and J. Repka, A Classification of Embedding of Abelian Extensions of Dn into En+1, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, Elsevier, 217 (2013), 1942-1954.
- D. Kahrobaei, C. Koupparis, and V. Shpilrain, Public key exchange using matrices over group rings, Groups, Complexity, and Cryptology 5 (2013), 97–115.
- D. Kahrobaei, C. Koupparis, Non-commutative digital signatures using non-commutative groups, Groups, Com- plexity, Cryptology 4 (2012), 377–384.
- M. Habeeb, D. Kahrobaei, and V. Shpilrain, A Secret Sharing scheme based on group-presentation and word problem, Contemporary Mathematics, American Mathematical Society 582 (2012), 143–150.
- D. Kahrobaei, S. Majewicz, Residual Solvability of Generalized Free Products of Solvable Groups, Discrete Math- ematics and Theoretical Computer Science, France, 13, No 4 (2012), 45-50.
- D. Kahrobaei, On Residual Solvability of Generalized Free Products of Finitely Generated Nilpotent Groups, Communications in Algebra, Taylor and Francis Publication, 39 (2011), 647–656.
- K. Falconer, B. Fine, D. Kahrobaei, On Growth Rate of an Endomorphism of a Group Groups, Complexity, Cryptology, De Gruyter Publication, 3, Issue 2 (2011), 285–300.
- B. Fine, M. Habeeb, D. Kahrobaei, G. Rosenberger Aspects of non-abelian group-based cryptography: A survey and open problems, JP Journal of Algebra and Number Theory 21 (2011), 1–41.
- D.Kahrobaei, S. Sze, Finding n-root in nilpotent groups and applications in cryptography, IJAM, 1-20 (2011)
- K. Bencsath, A. Douglas, D. Kahrobaei, Some Residually Solvable One-relator Groups, Bulletin of the Irish Mathematical Society 65 (2010), 23–31.
- M. Habeeb, D. Kahrobaei, V. Shpilrain, A new Public Key Using Semi-Direct Products, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Symbolic Computation and Cryptography, Royal Holloway University of London, (2010), 137–142.
- D. Kahrobaei, M. Anshel, Decision and Search in non-abelian Cramer Shoup, Groups, Complexity, Cryptology, De Gruyter Publication, 1 (2009), 217–225.
- D. Kahrobaei, Book Chapter: Doubles of Residually Solvable groups, Aspects of Infinite Group Theory, Algebra and Discrete Math, World Scientific Publication, 1 (2008), 192–200.
- G. Arzhantseva, P. de la Harpe, D. Kahrobaei, The True Prosoluble Completion of a Group: Examples and Open Problems, Geometriae Dedicata, Springer Netherlands, 124, No.1 (2007), 5–26. (Appendix by G. Arzhantseva, Z. Sunic).
- K. Bhutani, B. Khan, D. Kahrobaei, A Graphic Generalization of Arithmetic, Integers: Electronic Journal of Combinatorial Number Theory, 7, A12 (2007), 1–31.
- D. Kahrobaei, B. Khan, A Non-Commutative Generalization of the El Gamal Key Exchange using Polycyclic Groups, Proceeding of IEEE, GLOBECOM (2006), 1–5.
- D. Kahrobaei, A Simple Proof of a Theorem of Karrass and Solitar, Contemporary Mathematics, American Mathematical Society, 372 (2005), 107–108.
- D. Kahrobaei, Residual Solvability of Generalized free products, PhD Thesis, CUNY Graduate Center, (2004), 1–194.
- P. Brown, D. Kahrobaei, Metropolitan Mentors: Building a Network of Women in Mathematics and Computer Science across New York City, Book chapter in, Forward to Professorship in STEM: Inclusive Faculty Development Strategies that Work. Mavriplis, C. and Heller, R., eds. Elsevier Publishing. ISBN: 978-0-12-800855-3 (2015).
- J-C. Faugere, K. Horan, D. Kahrobaei, M. Kaplan, E. Kashefi, L. Perret, Fast Quantum algorithm for solving system of multivariate system of equations, https://arxiv.org/abs/1712.07211, Submitted, 1–20 (2018)
- A. Gribov, J. Gryak, K. Horan, D. Kahrobaei, V. Shpilrain, R. Souroush, K. Najarian, Medical diagnostic based on encrypted medical data, http://www.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/~shpil/FHE_meddata.pdf, Submitted to BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 1–12 (2018).
- A. Wood, V. Shpilrain, A. Mostashari, K. Najarian, D. Kahrobaei, Private Naive Bayes Classification of Personal Biomedical Data: Application in Cancer Data Analysis, Submitted, 1–8 (2018).
- R. Flores, D. Kahrobaei, T. Koberda, Algorithmic Problems in right-angled Artin groups: Complexity and Appli- cations, https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.04870, 1–16, Submitted to Journal of Algebra (2018).
- D. Kahrobaei, K. Mallahi-Karai, Some applications of arithmetic groups in cryptography, Submitted, 1–13 (2018).
- G. Di Crescenzo, M. Khodjaeva, D. Kahrobaei, V. Shpilrain, Delegation computation to cloud, under submission.
- K. Horan, D. Kahrobaei, Hidden Subgroup Problem and Post-quantum Group-based Cryptography.
- J. Gryak, D. Kahrobaei, Cryptanalysis using Machine Learning.
- R. Flores, D. Kahrobaei, T. Koberda, Applications of Thurston norm in cryptography, under submission.
- D. Kahrobaei, B. Cavallo, D. Garber, Edited Book: Algebra and Computer Science, American Mathematical Society, Contemporary Mathematics, 677, ISBN-13 978-1-4704-2303-2 (2016).
- D. Kahrobaei, V. Shpilrain, Edited Book: Algorithmic Problems in Group Theory, Their Complexity and appli- cations in Information Security, American Mathematical Society, Contemporary Mathematics 633, ISBN 978-0– 8218–9859–8, (2015).
- B. Fine, D. Kahrobaei, and G. Rosenberger, Computational and Combinatorial Group Theory and Cryptography, American Mathematical Society, Contemporary Mathematics, 582, ISBN-10: 0-8218-7563-9, ISBN-13: 978-0- 8218-7563-6 (2012), 1–199.
- D. Kahrobaei, Edited Book: Groups, Complexity, Cryptology, De Gruyter Publication 3, Issue 1, ISSN 1869-6104 (May 2011).
B. August (CUNY), M. Anshel (City College of New York, CUNY), G. Arzhantseva (University of Vienna, Austria), K. Bencsath (Manhattan College), K. Bhutani(Catholic University of America), P. Brown (New York City College of Technology), B. Cavallo (Adherent Data Science Company in New York), I. Chatterji (University of Nice, France), P. de la Harpe (University of Geneva, Switzerland), J. Delgado (University of Catalunya), A. Douglas (New York City College of Technology and Graduate Center), G. Di Crescenzo (Applied Communication Sciences and New York University), B. Eick (Technische Universitat Braunschweig, Germany), K. Falconer (University of St Andrews, Scotland), J.-C. Faugere (LIP6, University of Sorbonne, Pierre et Marie Curie, France), B. Fine (Fairfield University), R. Flores (University of Seville, Spain), D. Garber (Holon University, Israel), J. Gryak (university of Michigan, Ann Arbor), V. Gitman (CUNY Graduate Center), M. Habeeb (California University in Pennsylvania), R. Haralick (CUNY Graduate Center), A. Gribov (CUNY, GC), K. Horan (CUNY, GC), M. Kaplan (LIP6, University of Sorbonne, Pierre et Marie Curie, France), B. Khan (University of Nebraska, Lincoln), E. Kashefi (Quantum Information Lab, LIP6, University of Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France and University of Edinburgh, Scotland), M. Khodjaeva (CUNY, GC), T. Koberda (University of Virginia), C. Koupparis (Royal Bank of Canada in New York), H.T. Lam (Oblong Security Company, LA), N. Y. Lu (CUNY GC), S. Majewicz (Kings Borough Community College, CUNY), K. Mallahi (Jacobs University of Bremen, Germany), C. Martinez-Perez (University of Zaragoza, Spain), N. Memarsadeghi (NASA), N. Memon (New York University), S. Molaye (Harvard University), A. Mostashari (LifeNome, Inc.), K. Najarian (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor), L. Perret (LIP6, University of Sorbonne, Pierre et Marie Curie, France), J. Repka (University of Toronto, Canada), G. Rosenberger (Hamburg University, Germany), D. Savchuk (University of South Florida, Tampa), V. Shpilrain (City College of New York), R. Soroushmehr (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor), Z. Sunic (Texas A&M University), S. Sze (CUNY Graduate Center), E. Ventura (University of Politecnica Catalunya).
- September 2008 – current : Director and Founder, Center for Logic Algebra, Computation.
- March 2015 – current : Advisory board, CUNY Hub for Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
- April 2015 – current : Member of the Faculty Advisory Board Data Science @CUNY.
- November 2012 – current : Co-Founder, President, Infoshield, Inc., NY, infoshield.us.
- September 2016 – current : Member of the board of advisory at LifeNome Inc. Security Advisor.
System and Method for Private-Key Fully Homomorphic Encryption an, (US20170063526)
Method and apparatus for secure delegation of computation, (U.S. 9,825,926)
Graphic Generalization of Arithmetic, (Principal Investigator)
Edinburgh Mathematical Society, 2006
Questions concerning True Prosoluble Completion of a groups and Residual Solvability, (Principal Investigator)
London Mathematical Society, 2005-2006
ADVANCE-IT START proposal, HRD- 0811192, (Co-Principal Investigator)
National Science Foundation, 2008-2011
Cryptography with Engel Groups, (Co-Principal Investigator)
Instituto Nazionale di Alta Matematica, Gruppo Nazionale per le Strutture Algebriche, Geometriche e le loro Applicazioni, 2018
International Research Conference for Women in Mathematics on Algebra, Logic, Theoretical Computer Science, (Principal Investigator)
National Science Foundation, 2008-2009
Educational NASA Computational and Scientific Case Studies (enCOMPASS), (Co-Principal Investigator)
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) /Goddard Space Flight Center, 2012
Building Cybersecurity Capacity, (Principal Investigator)
National Science Foundation, 2011-2013
Research in Cryptography, (Principal Investigator)
CUNY Research Foundation, 2007-2018
International Symposium of Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, ISSAC 2018, (Co-principal Investigator)
National Security Agency, 2018
A Fully Homomorphic Encryption Scheme with noise Using Rings, (Principal Investigator)
Institut Henri Poincare, IHP, Research in Paris Grant (RiP), 2018
Generic Complexity of Conjugacy Search Problem in Polycyclic Groups and Applications to Cryptography, (Principal Investigator)
American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2012-2013
New Approaches to Information Security Based on Group Theory , (Principal Investigator)
Office of Naval Research, 2012–2015
Practical Fully Homomorphic Encryption and Applications, (Principal Investigator)
Office of Naval Research, 2015-2018