Jumpstart Frequently Asked Questions
For newly admitted graduate students
Below are answers to common questions about the Jumpstart Summer Learning Experiences.
We hope you will make NYU Tandon your graduate home! If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org about the Tandon Summer Scholars program and email@example.com about Tandon Summer Career Academy.
Summer Scholars FAQs
- How do I register for this course and earn credit?
- Before you can register, you need to accept your offer and establish your NYU email address. To register, use your NYU email when you fill out this form. We will then connect you with your faculty advisor, who will work with you to apply the credit in your fall course load. The grade for the course would then be counted towards your fall GPA.
- In addition to my 3-credit Tandon Summer Scholars course, what is the minimum number of credits I must register for in the Fall 2020 semester?
- To be eligible, students must register for at least 6 total credits for the Fall 2020 semester. This means you will register for your 3-credit Tandon Summer Scholars course and, at least, one additional 3-credit course. Most students have chosen to register in 9 or 12 total credits for the Fall 2020 semester.
- How does taking the summer course affect my fall course load and full-time status?
- To maintain full-time status for the fall, you need 9 credits. The Tandon Summer Scholar course will account for 3 credits in the fall semester. You will register for 9 credits for the fall semester including the 3 credits for the course you would jumpstart in the summer but will register for and complete in the fall.
- Will I be charged for this course?
- No. A benefit of the Tandon Summer Scholars program is that you will never be charged tuition or fees for this course.
- How is the scholarship for the fall course applied and when?
- You receive the credit when you matriculate in the fall and complete your final exam or project. The course is worth 3 academic credits, and has an equivalent value of up to $6,000.
- What is the timing for the summer course?
- The summer course will run June 8, 2020 - August 21, 2020, followed by the final exam or project in the first two weeks of the fall semester to finalize the process of converting to credit. Exact timing and format of the final exam or project depends on the structure of the course, and will be communicated by the professor close to the course start date.
- If plans change unexpectedly and I need to enroll remotely in fall, will I still be able to earn this credit?
- If unanticipated circumstances require a switch to remote learning, we will arrange for your exam or project to be taken remotely as well so you can receive credit.
- Do I have to take a specific course that is part of my program?
- Yes. There are predetermined courses for your program; you can see the list of eligible courses for your program in the dropdown menu on the registration form.
- If I’m a PhD student, am I still eligible?
- PhD candidates should speak with his or her faculty advisor if they’re interested in taking a fall course over the summer.
- What are my options if I’m an MS student in Finance and Risk Engineering (FRE)?
- Admitted students in FRE have access to alternative non-credit summer experiences.
- Can I take more than one course in the summer?
- You can only take one course for free. On a case-by-case basis you may be able take additional courses at cost. If you’re interested, reach out to graduate admissions for more information.
- What will the remote course experience be like?
- The summer courses begin on June 8th. Each course will be taught by a Tandon professor, giving synchronous and asynchronous weekly instruction and assignments. You will likely interact with other new students through forums and coursework. When you come to campus in the fall, you will complete a final exam or project to earn the credits.
- Can I get credit for this course if I attend elsewhere?
- No. Participants can only receive credit after matriculating at Tandon in the fall.
- Do I have to pay if I start the course but don’t complete it?
- I was admitted to a completely online masters program. Am I eligible for the Summer Scholars course?
- Unfortunately, students admitted to an online program are not eligible for this program.
If you have additional questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Career Academy FAQs
- Do I get credits for this course?
- No, this is a summer learning experience to help you prepare for internships/jobs in the U.S.
- Who is the Summer Career Academy designed for?
- The sessions have been designed for incoming grad students who would like to learn more about the U.S. job market, current hiring prospects and how to position themselves to find a job/internship.
- How are the sessions designed?
- Each of the three (3) sessions has been designed to be highly interactive. Students will be encouraged to participate and ask questions, and complete small-group exercises.
- What do I gain from enrolling in the Summer Career Academy?
- After attending the Summer Career Academy, incoming grad students will have an understanding of what to expect in terms of the job market in the United, the recruitment process, how to effectively network as grad students, and how to present themselves to U.S. employers.
- Is there an exam/tests?
- There are no exams/tests since this is not a for-credit course.
If you have additional questions, please reach out to email@example.com.
NYU Tandon Made Challenge FAQs
- How can I find or form a team?
- We encourage you to get creative in how you find and form virtual teams with your future classmates, faculty, friends, and mentors. Zoom-based team hunts will also be organized with breakout rooms to help you partner virtually with other participants.
- What is the timeline to participate?
5G/Wireless enabled telehealth and diagnostics
Challenge Start: June 1, 2020 - 10am
Challenge Submission Deadline: June 12, 2020 - 11:59pm
Winner Announcement: June 19 - 10am
Robotic control of healthcare devices
Challenge Start: June 22, 2020 - 10am
Challenge Submission Deadline: July 3, 2020 - 11:59pm
Winner Announcement: July 10 - 10am
Zero contact hardware
Challenge Start: July 13, 2020 - 10am
Challenge Submission Deadline: July 24, 2020 - 11:59pm
Winner Announcement: July 31 - 10am
- What is the format for the submission?
By the challenge end date, teams are required to submit their submission materials, which must include two deliverables:
60-second video pitch Written summary of 400 words or less, including
- Outline of the specific problem being solved
- The solution to the problem
- The novelty of the approach
- The impact of the invention at scale
- The support the team needs to bring the product or service to market
- What do the winning teams get?
- Each challenge has a $5,000 prize pool split between undergraduate and graduate winning teams. A portion of the prize will be given to the teams upon award and the remainder held in the teams’ name and awarded in trenches upon the completion of certain development milestones, such as the creation of the first prototype.