VC investment momentum continues in third quarter
- Dave Rosenberg for CNET October 13th, 2009
- Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10373689-62.html
NYU-Poly Editor's Note: ChubbyBrain is a startup company in NYU-Poly's 160 Varick Street incubator
Things are getting better for entrepreneurs, according to data released Tuesday by information services provider Chubby Brain.
Venture investment hit a multi-year low in the ﬁrst quarter of 2009, reaching $5.3 billion in the second quarter and jumping a respectable 14 percent to $6.1 billion in the third quarter of 2009.
Statistics in The Pulse of the Innovation Economy report for Q309 certainly help quantify a resurgence in Silicon Valley, but we can't forget that entrepreneurs drive innovation, while venture capitalists facilitate it. Yes, money is often necessary, but the entrepreneurial need to solve complex problems is what has propelled the information economy.
A few highlights:
- Invested dollars went up by 14 percent, with an 11 percent increase in number of deals
- September seemed to be right time to raise money with 40 percent of third-quarter deals occurring in the month
- California, and speciﬁcally the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley, is the most likely location to raise money.
- Health care investing saw the most activity while green investors sat on their recycling cans