"Anonymous" Yik Yak Users Can Be Tracked Down, Say Researchers
- Lisa Vaas for Naked Security October 21st, 2016
- Source: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/10/21/anonymous-yik-yak-users-can-be-tracked-down-say-researchers/
We already know that if you threaten to shoot up a school on the ostensibly anonymous social media messaging platform Yik Yak, the law will come knocking, and that gossamer veil of not-really privacy will be shredded.
As Yik Yak says in its guidelines for law enforcement, it maintains a log with the following non-publicly available information for every message posted:
- The date and time of the interaction with the app, beginning with installation of the app
- The IP address used to access the app
- The GPS coordinates of the device used to access the app