Student Advocacy | NYU Tandon School of Engineering

Student Advocacy

The Office of Student Advocacy plays a vital role in supporting students facing challenging situations during their time at Tandon.

Our office works with various other offices to help students solve problems and develop self-advocacy skills. For more information regarding Student Advocacy, contact Deanna Rayment, Assistant Director of Student Advocacy & Compliance.

Image description: four students working on project

At the School of Engineering, we believe that the freedom to teach and learn is crucial to the academic process. Therefore, the Office of the Dean of Student Life has worked with other departments to develop procedures and policies to safeguard these freedoms. To fulfill our goal as a learning community, we frame our foundation of success around the following:

  • Respect and dignity of self and others
  • Academic and personal integrity
  • Responsibility and accountability for one’s actions
  • Establishing values and goals
  • Embracing human and intellectual diversity and inclusiveness

This foundation enables us to ensure the growth and success of the entire community socially, physically, academically, and emotionally.

Any behavior that threatens the academic environment threatens the learning process and the School of Engineering community. Therefore, the School of Engineering exercises its right to discipline and commits its policies and procedures in the form of a Code of Conduct to the protection and promotion of the academic enterprise.

Student Code of Conduct

Student Conduct

The Office of Student Advocacy is in place to promote a safe respectful academic environment by considering possible violations of the NYU Tandon School of Engineering Student Code of Conduct. This allows students to develop into leaders by giving them a central role in establishing student conduct policy; and, when appropriate, offering violators of the code an opportunity to learn from a fair process and develop into responsible community members. Incidents of student misconduct and academic dishonesty are reported to the Office of Student Advocacy for review and appropriate action is taken in compliance with the Code of Conduct.

Community Compact

NYU Tandon School of Engineering asks all new students to sign a Community Compact to maintain the standards set by the community you are now joining. By signing this, you are acknowledging your agreement.

If you have questions, please contact the Assistant Director of Student Advocacy & Compliance, Deanna Rayment.

Excused Absences

An absence can be excused if you have missed no more than 10 days of school. If an illness or special circumstance has caused you to miss more than two weeks of school, please refer to the section labeled Medical Leave of Absence.

Students may request special accommodations for an absence to be excused in the following cases:

  • Medical reasons
  • Death in immediate family
  • Personal qualified emergencies (documentation must be provided)
  • Religious Expression or Practice

If illness or an accident causes you to miss a class (or classes) or an exam, you should do the following:

Students should not provide anyone except the Office of Student Advocacy with a copy of medical documentation. If a professor requests a copy, refer them to the Office of Student Advocacy. It is important for instructors to know when you are experiencing an issue that might interfere with your studies. However, it is also important that your personal matters be kept confidential.

Student Religious Observance

NYU Policy Regarding Observing Religious Holidays

The Tandon School of Engineering’s policy requires students provide the Office of Student Advocacy with notification via this Google form 14 days in advance of the days to be taken off.

Leaves of Absence

Thinking about requesting a leave of absence?

Types of Leave:

Medical Leave of Absence

Counseling Leave of Absence

Personal Leave of Absence

What is a Medical Leave of Absence (MLOA)?

NYU recognizes that it is sometimes necessary or desirable for a student to take a leave from enrollment for a period of time due to unforeseen medical occurrences/issues. If you anticipate an injury, illness or special circumstance may cause you to miss more than two weeks, a leave of absence should be considered.

The duration of the leave will be:

  • Minimum of one academic semester, or an equivalent four-month period
  • Maximum of two academic semesters or the equivalent in months (8 months). 

What is a Counseling Leave of Absence?

If a student needs to request a counseling leave of absence, the student must schedule an appointment with NYU Counseling and Wellness by calling 212-443-9999.

Should the student and medical professional agree that a counseling leave of absence is in the student’s best interest, the below steps should be taken.

To officially request a leave, the student must:

  • Always speak with your academic advisor or department when you are considering a leave of absence, or if you are uncertain about any of the information on this page.
  • Identify the appropriate category for your leave (medical, counseling, personal) and the appropriate steps to obtain approval.
  • Do not submit a request for leave of absence if:
    • You want to drop individual classes, but will remain registered in other classes.  

1. Complete this Google form and include all relevant information regarding your leave request.

2. Submit a request for leave of absence through Albert (you must indicate reason for leave)

Any questions regarding this process should be directed to Deanna Rayment

What is a Personal Leave of Absence?

A personal leave of absence is a request for reasons unrelated to medical or counseling conditions. Personal leaves are voluntary and apply to issues related to national service or personal circumstances. Please note that personal leaves will not be granted for graduate students who are not in good academic standing with the University.

To officially request a personal leave of absence, the student must submit a Personal Leave of Absence Request online via Albert.

A personal leave is official only after the student receives final approval from the Office of the University Registrar. This letter will clarify the steps necessary for reentry into the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. Please feel free to contact the Office of Records & Registration regarding inquiries related to personal leave of absences.

Medical Absence FAQs

What if I don’t have a doctor?

Tandon School of Engineering Campus Student Health Center is conveniently located at: 6 MetroTech Center, ROG-B020, Brooklyn, New York 11201. Appointments are required at this location, and can be obtained by calling: 646-997-3456. The office is open 5 days a week. The NYU Student Health Center in Brooklyn is open to all NYU students. Services include primary care, counseling, and disability services.

Do I have access to the Washington Square Student Health Center?

NYU's Washington Square Student Health Center (SHC) is a campus resource and service center for all matriculated students, including those students attending our Brooklyn campus. The SHC is located at 726 Broadway, on the 3rd and 4th floors, is available 6 days a week, and offers drop-in hours. Their contact is 212-443-9999.

Can I use a doctor outside of NYU Student Health Centers?

Students have the option of establishing a relationship with a neighborhood physician. If you have insurance through NYU Tandon, visit the home page of Wellfleet, enter your zip code, and verify what physicians are covered by your individual plan in your neighborhood. More detailed questions about your specific insurance can be made at 212-443-1020.

Do I have to tell my professor about my medical issue?

No. It is important for you to know that your medical information is protected by Federal HIPPA laws, meant to protect you by ensuring that your medical information is not improperly shared.  The Office of Student Affairs will act as a liaison between you and NYU Tandon Faculty. Do not provide medical documentation to NYU Tandon Professors.  Be sure to provide Student Affairs with accurate information about all classes that you are enrolled in, including professor names and course numbers.

What counts as supporting documentation?

A completed Excused Absence form which states specific leave dates and return date. If you will be absent for a specific period of time, for example three days, your physician note will need to state the specific dates to cover that period. If these dates are missing, we use the date of the note only.

Can the Office of Student Affairs speak with my parents/guardians about my medical issues?

No, unless you have signed a FERPA waiver and that waiver has been filed with the Registrar, the Office of Student Life & Services cannot speak with your parents in regards to medical or other matters

Transfer Information

If you are a student who wants to transfer from NYU to another institution and you require a college transfer form to be completed, please see the steps below:

  1. All request forms should be submitted via Google Form to the Office of Student Life & Services. 
  2. You must complete one form per university that you are applying to. 
  3. Please allow up to 5 business days for processing
  4. Please note, all forms are sent directly to the school you are applying to. These forms will not be sent back to the student directly.