Civil and Urban Engineering/SEAoNY Presentation: Lifting Houses Above the Flood Plain
On Monday, October 7, 2013, the Department of Civil and Urban Engineering is hosting the following program in conjunction with the Structural Engineers Association of New York (SEAoNY). As we have a number of complimentary registrations for our students and faculty, if you are interested in attending, please e-mail Professor Lawrence Chiarelli at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10.07.13: Lifting Houses Above the Flood Plain
The workshop is of interest to contractors, architects and engineers involved in the execution and design of raising existing houses to meet NYC and federal flood regulations. The lecture is organized by SEAoNY in collaboration with the Polytechnic Institute of New York University (NYU-Poly).
It will feature speakers representing:
- Federal Emergency Administration (FEMA)
- International Association of Structural Movers (IASM)
- Structural Engineers Association of New York (SEAoNY)
- New York City Buildings (DOB)
The presentations will cover:
- Proven techniques for raising/lifting existing residential homes--jacking equipment, methods and position of support, rates of lifting.
- Safety tips for proper execution of the raising operation--building and site preparation, loading and securing houses on jacks, etc.
- Foundation issues related to raising operations--soil issues, foundation walls, piles.
- Special Inspections requirements
- DOB process for plan submittal
- 1.5 PDH Credits
This event costs $25 in advance and $35 at the door. Student registration is $5.