Career Resources for International Students | NYU Tandon School of Engineering

Career Resources for International Students

Business professional in New York City

As an NYU Tandon graduate student, we will help you navigate the various types of employment opportunities available to you as an international student.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Available to students with valid F1 visas, Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment within your field of study. You may apply if you have been a full-time student for at least one academic year in the U.S. and are in good academic standing, making progress toward degree completion.

OPT is capped at a maximum of 12 months for each degree level. However, certain areas of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) are eligible for a STEM OPT extension. You may use your OPT before you finish your studies (known as pre-completion OPT), after you finish your studies (known as post-completion OPT) or a combination of the two, as long as you do not exceed the 12-month limit.

Learn More About OPT

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

To qualify for Curricular Practical Training, your program must have an internship elective or fieldwork requirement within the curriculum. This program is appropriate for students with valid F1 status who have been full-time students in the U.S. for at least one academic year, making progress toward degree completion in good academic standing. In addition, you must already have a job offer directly related to your field of study. CPT typically consists of part-time employment of up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time employment when school is not in session. Exceptions may be permitted for students based on the structure of a particular curriculum.

Learn More About CPT

Additional Employment Opportunities

F1 students may secure employment with international organizations, such as the International Monetary Fund or World Bank, in the form of an internship. J1 students may be eligible for academic training, which is temporary employment in your field of study. In addition, if you have lost your educational funding, you can request economic-need employment.

Additional Opportunities