Visa Information | NYU Tandon School of Engineering

Visa Information

Visa Definitions

International students will need approval from the United States government in the form of a student visa in order to study full time in the USA. The F1 visa is the most frequently-used classification of visa for students. (The J-1 visa status is offered to students who plan to enter the U.S. as part of an educational exchange program pursuant to co-operative agreements with universities abroad, or whose education is primarily funded by the government or institutional resources.)

Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS-2019)

The Certificate of Eligibility is issued to an international applicant for the purpose of the visa application.  The I-20 is issued to students who are applying for the F1 visa, and the DS-2019 is issued to students who are applying for the J-1 visa.

To who is the Certificate of Eligibility issued?

NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) will issue Certificates of Eligibility to admitted applicants who have paid the graduate tuition deposit and completed the I-20/DS-2019 application (including all required supporting documentation).

How to apply for the Certificate of Eligibility

Once you have accepted your offer of admission and paid your tuition deposit, visit Get a U.S. Visa to learn more and apply for a Certificate of Eligibility. Note: your Certificate of Eligibility application should include any scholarship or fellowship letter you have received from NYU. Please allow up to 10 business days from the date of your application for your Certificate of Eligibility to be issued.

What to do once you receive the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS-2019)

Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility, you may apply for a visa online and make an appointment for a visa interview at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy. The list of the documents to be carried to the visa interview can be obtained from the website of the U.S. Consulate where you have applied for your visa. More information is available on the Office of Global Services website.

You will be allowed to enter the United States no earlier than 30 days before the start date of the academic program, as listed on the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS-2019).

Visa-related events

The Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions Office conducts a number of Visa Coaching Webinars (as well as other events designed to inform and help admitted graduate students) in the months leading up to the new semester. Check the Admitted Student Events page for upcoming event schedules.