Human-Centered Design in the Metaverse
Course starts asynchronously April 10, 2023 (Monday)
In-Person course dates: April 29, 2023 & April 30, 2023 (Saturday - Sunday)
The next wave of digital innovation will be driven by spatial computing, which enables experiences across digital and physical space, and brings virtual worlds to a user’s personal environment. Designers face a paradigm shift when creating for this new world — the Metaverse — with Augmented and Virtual Reality. Even identifying the relevant use cases or solutions available within the Metaverse can be challenging.
But a human-centered approach can be a helpful common denominator to guide the design process across the mixed reality spectrum. Establishing a human-centered design process for AR and VR will continue to serve you as the metaverse scales to true spatial computing in your environment, and as new devices launch.
Led by Sam Brewton (Geomagical Labs, Wayfair, former R/GA) this course combines learn-at-your-own-pace video lectures and tutorials with a weekend-long workshop focused on creating an ecosystem of AR and VR touchpoints for people to experience.
Designed for UX and digital product designers, producers, and artists, this course covers a range of accessible tools with a novel approach for mapping, designing, prototyping, and deploying to the metaverse
- Methods for identifying metaverse opportunities - Including how to find use cases for the metaverse with AR & VR; How to choose the right medium and device for the right context, from cross-platform to form factor specific; And strategies for distributing your brand presence in the metaverse across AR & VR.
- AR/VR design and prototyping process - Learn to ideate and validate your concepts by learning new tools to prototype and produce AR/VR for the metaverse with real-time computing.
- UX design across realities in the metaverse - Learn about interface design guidelines for mobile and HMD (digital eyewear). Understand the emerging interaction patterns per platform.
- Metaverse design systems - Learn to adapt your project, product, or brand’s design language to support XR experiences with 3D elements. Build a style guide of UI patterns and components and/or a library of 3D materials to represent physical products or assets.
- Asset creation - Understand 3D pipelines, for working with teams who create new assets and leverage existing assets.
- Designing for everyone - Architect scenes that can be experienced through different platforms and input methods, for accessibility and broader distribution.
- Create metaverse experiences - Learners will create WebVR, WebAR, social AR, and interactive 3D scenes across physical space.
Who Should Attend?
- Agency - designers, art directors, and UX and interaction designers
- Brand - in-house product designers and marketing designers
- Digital Artists - illustrators and 3D artists who want to make XR work
- Educators - who want to learn and share new technology
- Creative Technologists - who are excited about the metaverse and the next computing platforms
Schedule/Components3 Weeks before On-Site
Participants gain access to online (pre-recorded) course materials including:
Intro to Human-Centered Design Process for the Metaverse
- Introduction to AR & VR: An Evolution of Digital Design with Technology
- Assignment: Share Scene Graphs Whiteboard
The Metaverse via Web VR
- Introduction to the medium and opportunity
- Need for interoperability
- Assignment: Share WebVR Or Prep Web VR for testing in-person
- Foundations of Augmented Reality
- Social effects, or mockup & prototype app
Saturday, Apr 29, 2023
On-site class held at Building 22 in the Brooklyn Navy Yard
9:30am - Check-in
(coffee and light refreshments will be served)
10am - Web3 Lecture
11:30am - WebVR experience
1:00 - 1:45pm - Lunch Break
1:45 - 3:15pm - 3D Scanning
3:15 - 3:30pm - Break
3:30 - 5:00pm - Location based Social AR
Sunday, Apr 30, 2023
9:30am - Coffee
10am - Spatial AR
11:30am - 1:00pm - Spatial AR Workshop
1:30 - 2:15pm - Lunch
2:15 - 3:00pm - Net New
3:00 - 5:00pm - Design Challenge and supervised independent work