Course Evaluations Definitions
- DEPARTMENT - Detail
- Provides a summary of all the combined responses to each question from all the courses and sections taught within a department into this set of aggregated results, in accordance with the selected department, subject, and/or term filter settings.
- SECTION - Detail
- Details a summary of all the responses to each question from each course/section taught, in accordance with the selected department, subject, term, and/or instructor filter settings.
- DEPARTMENT - Comments
- Combines all the individual open-ended responses to each question from all the courses and sections taught within a department into this set of aggregated results, in accordance with the selected department, subject, and/or term filter settings.
- SECTION - Comments
- Combines all the individual open-ended responses to each question from each course/section taught, in accordance with the selected department, subject, and/or term filter settings.
Reported Dashboard Terms: Spring 2017 - Summer 2019 (as of September 2019)
Each graphic column shows a pair of the following metrics along a dual-axis. (ex: purple graphics represent the total enrollment count and the corresponding response %.)
- Every question is rated by students on a scale of 1 to 5. Depending on the qualifier, while “5” = “Excellent”, “Strongly Agree” or “Yes” (and is in green tones).Average, or middle ratings hovering around “3” are represented by yellow bars.
- AVERAGE WEIGHTED RESPONSE
- Represents the WEIGHTED AVERAGE of each question. This calculated data point, displayed as a gray circle, “floats” along the overall bar graph for each question, hovering closer to the right for averages approximating “5”, and hovering closer to the left for averages approximating “1”. In general, the closer to the right, the “higher” the rating (or the more “yes” for yes/no questions), while the closer to the left, the “lower” the rating (or the more “no” for yes/no questions).
- ENROLLMENT COUNT
- Represents the Total number of the students enrolled.
- % RESPONSE RATE
- Represents the Responses obtained from the survey.
- ACADEMIC YEAR
- Allows for the aggregation of course or instructor evaluation results over the course of an academic year. Each academic year is comprised of the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters, so that Academic Year “2017 - 2018”, for example, is comprised of Fall 2017, Spring 2018, and Summer 2018. As of July 2019, the Academic Year options are:2016 - 2017; 2017 - 2018; 2018 - 2019.
- AB-CD####, where… first two or three letters before hyphen = Subject; Next two letters (after hyphen) = Course Degree Level, where UY = Tandon Undergraduate; GY = Tandon Graduate; NY = Tandon Non-Degree.
- COURSE LEVEL
- Allows you to select the degree level of the course: “Undergraduate” and/or “Graduate”
- Applied Physics; Biomedical Engineering; Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering; Civil & Urban Engineering; Computer Science & Engineering;............; Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering; Student Life; Tandon Bridge Program; Tandon Registration; Technology Management & Innovation; Technology, Culture & Society
- INSTRUCTOR NAME
- Allows you to select the specific instructor(s) whose evaluation results you would like to view. Listed in alphabetical order by Last Name.
- RECODED QUESTION TYPE
- The questions asked on each Course Evaluation completed by a student comes from a question bank of over 800 different questions. While every single student that completes a Course Evaluation answers the standard 7 CORE questions required by NYU, the remaining questions asked fall under different categories and are required, requested, or suggested by departments, accreditation agencies, or are specific to the course setting. The following represent the options of Question types you can filter down to in order to view students’ responses to those question types:ABET; Core; Course Objectives;........ Global; Instructor; Lab; Online; Recitation; Tandon
- SUBJECT (or Major)
- Aerospace Engineering; Art History; BioEngineering; Bioinformatics; Biomolecular Science; Biotechnology;.... Mechanical Engineering; Media Studies; Philosophy; Physics; Political Science; Pre-Health Prep; Science & Technology; Society, Environment, & Globalization; Student Life; Transportation; Urban Studies; Vertically Integrated Projects.
- Course Title.
- Spring 2017 - Summer 2019 (as of September 2019)
Filter changes will be applied through all the tabs and updated immediately after selection. For any changes please return to this tab