Frequently Asked Questions

On this page:


Q. Should I travel with cash?

A: No, we strongly urge you not to carry cash while traveling. You can purchase travelers checks at a bank in your country. If lost, traveler checks are usually replaced by the company that issued them. Larger amounts (such as your tuition) should be carried in the form of a draft (money order) or a bank check. You can open an account at a local bank, so that you can have additional funds transferred at a later date.

Q. How much is NYU School of Engineering's tuition?

A: Tuition and fees change each semester. To view the most up to date information visit this costs page.

Q. When is my tuition due?

A: You must be prepared to pay the full amount of tuition and fees each semester. You can make a single payment at the beginning of the semester or you can arrange to pay it in installments throughout the semester.

Q. How do I pay my tuition in installments?

A: The Office of Student Accounts offers a monthly payment arrangement through Tuition Management System (TMS). The monthly payment plan is interest-free, regardless of the balance amount, with a one-time enrollment fee accessed at the beginning of the plan. For more information visit the TMS web site.

Q. What methods of payment are accepted at NYU School of Engineering?

A: Tuition and fees can be paid using a credit card, bank check, money order, or wire transfer. Cash is also accepted, but not suggested for those traveling internationally.

Q. Who should payments be addressed to?

A: Bank checks, money orders, and traveler’s checks should be addressed toNYU Polytechnic School of Engineering.

Q. Is the $300 deposit part of my tuition?

A: Yes, it is a part of your tuition. You should subtract the $300 deposit from your first semester payment.

Q. Can I pay my tuition deposit online?

A: Yes, you can pay the 300$ tuition deposit online. Click here for more details.

Q. What will happen if I get a tuition waiver for the year?

A: One half of the waiver will be applied to your first semester’s tuition bill and the other half will be applied to the following semesters.

Q. What if I have more questions about the financial aspects of attending NYU School of Engineering?

A: Visit: Student Financial Services; Financial Aid; Or contact the Graduate Center:; 718-260-3182.

Graduate Student Employment and Training Program (GSET)

Q. Who can apply to the Graduate Student Employment and Training Program?

A: The GSET program is limited to full-time students in good academic standing. Visit the GSET page for additional eligibility information.

Q. How do I apply for a GSET Position?

A: Departments hire graduate assistants on an individual basis. The various positions offered under this program are posted on PolyLINK. For further details please visit the Graduate Center.

Q. What is CareerNet and how do I get access to it?

A: CareerNet is the official online job portal and web based recruiting system of NYU. To access CareerNet, go to . Please contact our Career Management Center in Room 359 of the Jacobs Administrative Building for your log in and password for Careernet.

Q. What do I do once I have access to CareerNet?

A: After logging in, familiarize yourself with CareerNet by watching the online video tutorial located in the upper right hand corner of the home page for tips on checking announcements, completing your profile, uploading documents (resumes, cover letters, etc.) and searching and applying for jobs.

Q. How many hours a week can I work?

A: GSET students are eligible to work a maximum of 20 hours per week.

Q. How do I get a Social Security Number?

A:  You must first have employment status on campus. You must have an employment letter. And you must get approval from the Graduate Center, Human Resources, and the Office of International Students and Scholars.

Q. How do I submit my time sheet?

A: Read the "Completing the Hiring Process" steps on this page for information about accessing your timesheet for the first time and submitting your time throughout your position.

Q. I am an international student. Can I hold another job in addition to my GSET position?

A: Federal law permits international students to work a maximum of 20 hours per week when they are in classes; therefore, international students with GSET positions are not allowed to hold any second jobs. Any exceptions to this rule would need prior approval by the Office of International Students and Scholars and the Graduate Center.

Q. What if I become sick and miss work or take a vacation?

A: As GSET students do not earn sick or vacation hours, please consult with your supervisor or department concerning their policies.

Q. How long may I hold a GSET position?

A: The length of time a graduate student may hold a GSET position is up to the department/school/office that hired you. However, you should not exceed the number of hours specified in your employment letter. You should work in accordance with the number of hours based on the round of employment you began with.

Q. I have questions about the GSET program not answered on this page. Where can I go for answers?

A: Contact the Graduate Center Office, Rogers Hall Room 102 or e-mail


Q. When I first arrive at NYU School of Engineeringfor orientation where should I go?

A: You should go to Grad Orientation Central. You will need to sign in with a photo ID at the security desk where you will be directed to the room.

Q. What events are required during orientation?

A: You must attend the Graduate Student Life Seminar. And if you are an international student, you are also required to attend the New International Students Seminar.

Q. What else must I do during orientation?


  • submit your immunization form
  • meet with your academic advisor and register online for classes
  • get your student ID card
  • sign-in at the Office of International Students and Scholars (if you are an international student)


Q. Where can I access the list of course offerings?

A: For a list of the courses offered and class schedules, visit the NYU School of Engineering Class Schedule.

Q. Where do I purchase my books?

A: You can purchase your books from the NYU Bookstore.

Q. What if I am not sure who my Academic Advisor is?

A: Contact your academic department directly or the Graduate Center for assistance.

Q. How do I set up an appointment with my Academic Advisor?

A: Contact your department directly to set up a time to meet with your advisor.

Q. How do I register for classes?

A: You will register online using PeopleSoft after meeting with your Academic Advisor.

Q. What if I do not know my usernames and passwords for my NYU School of Engineering online accounts?

A: For all online accounts, including PeopleSoft, My Poly, Email and SSL VPN contact the Information Systems Help Desk (337 Rogers Hall; Monday – Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; 24-Hour Phone Support: 718-260-3123;

Q. How do I get my Student ID Card?

A: After registering print out your Registration Receipt from PeopleSoft and take it with a Photo ID to the Office of Facilities Management (Room 152 in the Jacobs Administrative Building).


Q. Do I need to get vaccinated before attending NYU School of Engineering?

A: Yes, and you need to have your doctor fill out the Immunization Form so that you can mail it to the Graduate Center.

Q. Do I still need to get vaccinated even if I am not living in on-campus housing? What if I am a part-time student?

A: Yes, everyone enrolled at NYU School of Engineering, including part-time students, must get vaccinated and submit the Immunization Form whether they are living on campus or not.

Q. Do I need a health exam before coming to NYU School of Engineering?

A: It is highly recommended that in addition to getting vaccinated you undergo a physical exam, though it is not required.

Q. What if I never received an Immunization Form?

A: You can download it on this page.

Q. What if I have more questions about the immunization requirement?

A: Visit this page for more information.

Student Health Insurance

Q. Is health insurance required to attend NYU School of Engineering?

A: Yes, every student must have health insurance.

Q. I’m an international student. Am I required to purchase health insurance from NYU School of Engineering and how much does it cost?

A: All International students are automatically enrolled in the health insurance plan offered by NYU School of Engineering. Visit this page for costs. Please note price may change from semester to semester. 

Q. I’m a domestic student. Do I need to purchaseNYU School of Engineeringhealth insurance?

A: All domestic students taking 9 or more units or who are considered a full-time student at NYU School of Engineering must carry valid accident and sickness insurance that is comparable to the Institute plan. HMO plans that do not have local coverage will not be considered adequate coverage. If you do not show proof of existing coverage through the WAIVER process, you will be automatically billed and enrolled in the school plan.

Q. I qualify to waive the Institute-sponsored Health Insurance plan, what is the waiver process?

A: Visit this page for information about the waiver process.

Q. Is it okay to use health insurance from my home country?

A: No. All international students are required to carry the Institute-sponsored plan. You may choose to have additional coverage, but it will be in addition to the Institute-sponsored plan.

Q. I have more questions about the health insurance plan. Where can I learn more?
A: Visit the Health Insurance page of our web site. Also, attend the Student Health Insurance Information Session during Orientation. (Go to the Calendar of Events for times and location information.)