Preparations for an Abroad Experience

Academic Credit

Transfer of academic credits is at the discretion of the School of Engineering and the individual departments within. Courses must respond to a student’s concentration and fulfill department major study requirements to be credited at the School of Engineering.

Students are required to consult with their academic advisor to formulate a detailed academic plan and course load for every semester of study abroad. The course preapproval form must be filled out prior to departure. This step is essential in aiding the proper transfer of academic credits earned abroad. For current information on courses, please refer to the host university’s published materials.

At the end of each academic term of study abroad, students are required to provide an official transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Academics (JB158). They may also be asked to submit additional information on their academic course work performed abroad.

While abroad, students must remain in contact with their academic advisor and keep him or her apprised of their academic progress and any changes in their academic plan.

NYU Study Away Course Equivalency form

NYU Exchange Course Equivalency form

Required Travel Documents

Students must present proper travel documents in order to be eligible for study abroad.

  • U.S. citizens are required to have valid passports
  • Lawful Permanent Residents are required to have a valid passport from their home country, or a Reentry Permit issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service
  • Individuals granted asylum or refugee status in the United States are required to have Refugee Travel Documents issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service

Students are responsible for checking with the host country's consulate to determine whether they need a visa or other entry requirement. Please remember that the entry requirement for U.S. citizens may be different than for lawful permanent residents, or citizens of other countries residing in the United States. For additional information or assistanc on visa requirements, please contact the Office of Global Services.
For additional information, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Academics.

Students are required to complete the online application and depending on the program, supplementary application materials required by the host academic university or program.

Health Requirements

  • Students with special health and physical needs should inform the Office of Undergraduate Academics. Together, they will determine whether these needs can be fulfilled during a student's stay abroad.
  • Students with special physical and health conditions and chronic illnesses should discuss their travel plans with their health care provider, who can determine how best to address on-going treatment, therapy, or other concerns.
  • Students should determine if their current health care insurance provides the same level of coverage overseas. New York University provides a medical insurance plan for all domestic students enrolled for 9 or more credits. While coverage under this policy is available 24 hours a day worldwide, international heath care providers vary in their acceptance of particular plan provisions.
  • Participants in the study abroad program may also apply for medical coverage through HTH Worldwide Insurance Services. If you want to sign up for this insurance, please fill out the HTH Insurance Application
  • NYU requires students participating in the study abroad program to certify that they have adequate health and medical insurance for the duration of their stay overseas. This includes medical evacuation/repatriation coverage comparable to that offered by HTH Worldwide Insurance Services.
  • The Center for Disease Control (CDC) offers information about geographic health recommendations, specific disease outbreaks and other information related to health concerns in foreign countries. We encourage you to visit the CDC's website for more information.

Safety and Security

Students going abroad must familiarize themselves with conditions in the country to which they are traveling. The Department of State provides current information about country conditions, and how they may impact Americans traveling abroad. Consular Affairs also contains information about entry regulations, health conditions, crime and security, as well as the locations and addresses of consulates and embassies. If you have questions or need additional information please contact the Office for Undergraduate Academics.

Keeping in Touch While Abroad

It is important for students to provide the School of Engineering with their address, phone number, and e-mail address so that they continue to receive important information and updates related to life and study at the School of Engineering while they are studying abroad.