Social Media for Live Events
Tips and Tricks
Planning an event? Don't let social media be an after-thought. Here are some best practices for promoting your event and engaging a live audience.
Organizing the Event
- Set up event registration using a social media solution like Eventbrite or Meetup.
- Encourage people to invite their acquaintances to register, too.
- Ask registered attendees to share their LinkedIn and Twitter handles when RSVPing.
- Vet suppliers and venues using social media reviews on resources like Yelp.
Promoting the Event
- Create an event listing on engineering.nyu.edu, Foursquare, and/or Facebook.
- Use a hashtag and print it on all event materials, including the backs of the name tags.
- Create a promotional image or video (be sure to follow the NYU Visual Identity standards).
- Submit a promotional tweet about your event to the communications team using our social media form.
- Ask speakers and honorees to write a promotional post about the event, too.
During the Event
- Add the twitter handle of speakers and honorees to the run of show and event program.
- Live-stream the event to reach a global audience (Google Hangout, LiveStream, Ustream).
- Display Twitter walls .
- Encourage attendees to check-in on social media.
- Provide real-time customer support.
- Get a copy of speeches ahead of time, pull out quotes and schedule them to post during your event.
- Retweet people who use your hashtag.
- Ask speakers and honorees to post about the event after they arrive.
- Include a spectacle, something people will want to share photos of (for example: a clever backdrop, props, beautiful spaces, inspirational graphics).
- Encourage the audience to submit ideas, photos or questions during the event.