Global Assistant Professor
National Technical University2005
Diploma, Electrical & Computer Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign2007
M.S., Electrical & Computer Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign2008
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign2010
Ph.D., Electrical & Computer Engineering
- M. Vlachos, N. Freris and A. Kyrillidis, “Compressive Mining: Fast and Optimal Data Mining in the Compressed Domain.” International Journal on Very Large Data Bases (VLDBJ), vol. 24(1), pp. 1-24, 2015.
- A. Zouzias and N. Freris, “Randomized Extended Kaczmarz for Solving Least Squares.” SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, vol. 34(2), pp. 773-793, 2013.
- S. Zoumpoulis, M. Vlachos, N. Freris and C. Lucchese, “Right-Protected Data Publishing with Provable Distance-based Mining.” IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 99, ISSN 1041-4347, 2013.
- N. Freris, C. Hsu, J. Singh and X. Zhu, “Distortion-Aware Scalable Video Streaming to Multinetwork Clients.” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 21, no.2, pp.469-481, April 2013.
- N. Freris, S. Graham and P. R. Kumar, “Fundamental Limits on Synchronizing Clocks over Networks.” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 1352-1364, June 2011.
- N. Freris, H. Kowshik and P. R. Kumar, “Fundamentals of large sensor networks: Connectivity, Capacity, Clocks and Computation.” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 1828-1846, November 2010.
- S. Jabari, N. Freris and D. Dilip, "Sparse travel time estimation from streaming data." Submitted to Elsevier Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 2016.
- N. Freris, V. Borkar and P. R. Kumar, “Distributed model-based clock synchronization in wireless sensor networks.” Submitted to IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 2015.
- N. Freris, O. Öçal and M. Vetterli, “Recursive Compressed Sensing.” Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2015.
N. Freris and L. K. Mestha, “Printing system models.” Chapter 10 in “Control of Color Imaging Systems: Analysis and Design” by L. K. Mestha and S. Dianat, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 2009.
- A. Darabseh and N. Freris, "A Software Defined Architecture for Cyberphysical Systems." Submitted to the Cyberphysical Systems Week: 2nd IEEE International Conference on Internet-of-Things Design and Implementation (IoTDI'17), 2016.
- D. Dilip, N. Freris and S. Jabari, "Sparse Estimation of travel time distributions using Gamma kernels." Accepted at the 96th Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting (TRB'17), 2016.
- X. Duan, N. Freris, and P. Cheng, "Secure clock synchronization under collusion attacks." 54th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, Sep. 2016.
- N. Freris and P. Patrinos, "Distributed computing over encrypted data." 54th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, Sep. 2016.
- N. Freris, "Accelerated Compressed Sensing on streaming data." 4th European Conference on Computational Optimization (EUCCO), Sep. 2016.
- P. Sopasakis, N. Freris and P. Patrinos, “Accelerated reconstruction of a compressively sampled data stream.” Invited paper accepted at the 24th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO’16), Aug. 2016.
- A. Darabseh, N. Freris, Y. Jararweh and M. Al-Ayyoub, “SDCache: Software Defined Data Caching Control for Cloud Services.” Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Future Internet of Things and Cloud (FiCloud), pp. 164-169, Aug. 2016.
- A. Zouzias and N. Freris, “Randomized Gossip Algorithms for Solving Laplacian Systems.” Proceedings of the 14th IEEE European Control Conference (ECC), pp. 1920-1925, July 2015.
- N. Freris, O. Öçal and M. Vetterli, “Compressed Sensing of streaming data.” Proceedings of the 51stAllerton Conference on Communication, Control and Computing, pp. 1242-1249, Oct. 2013.
- G. Baechler, N. Freris, F. Quick and R. Crochiere, “Finite rate of innovation based modeling and compression of ECG signals.” Proceedings of the 38th International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), pp. 1252-1256, May 2013.
- N. Freris and A. Zouzias, “Fast distributed smoothing of relative measurements.” Proceedings of the 51 st IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), pp. 1411-1416, Dec. 2012.
- A. Zouzias, M. Vlachos and N. Freris, “Unsupervised Sparse Matrix Co-Clustering for Marketing and Sales Intelligence.” Advances in Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 7301, pp. 591-603, May 2012.
- N. Freris, M. Vlachos and S. Kozat, “Optimal Distance Estimation Between Compressed Data Series.” Proceedings of the SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM12), pp. 343-354, April 2012.
- N. Freris, M. Vlachos and D. Turaga, “Cluster-Aware Compression with Provable K-means Preservation.” Proceedings of the SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM12), pp. 82-93, April 2012.
- N. Freris, “Performance bounds for CSMA-based Medium Access Control.” Proceedings of the 50th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 5945-5950, Dec. 2011.
- N. Freris, C. Hsu, J. Singh and X. Zhu, "Resource allocation for multihomed scalable video streaming to multiple clients." Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM'10), pp. 9-16, Dec. 2010.
- C. Hsu, N. Freris, J. Singh and X. Zhu, "Rate control and stream adaptation for scalable video streaming over multiple access networks." Proceedings of the 18th International Packet Video Workshop (PV'10), pp. 33-40, Dec. 2010.
- N. Freris, V. Borkar and P. R. Kumar, "A model-based approach to clock synchronization." Proceedings of the 48th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 5744 - 5749, Dec. 2009.
- R. McCabe, N. Freris and P. R. Kumar, "Controlled Random Access MAC for Network Utility Maximization in Wireless Networks." Proceedings of the 47th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 2350-2355, Dec. 2008.
- N. Freris and P. R. Kumar, "Fundamental Limits on Synchronization of Affine Clocks in Networks." Proceedings of the 46th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 921-926, Dec. 2007.
- Distributed algorithms for estimation, optimization, and control
- Wireless sensor networks; clock synchronization, network resource allocation, video streaming
- System theory, control & optimization
- Big data: data mining/machine learning algorithms with provable guarantees
- Signal processing: sparse sampling, online algorithms
Applications: Networking, Transportation Systems, Robotics, Biomedical modeling, Power systems
- Center for Interdisciplinary Studies in Security and Privacy (CRISSP)
- 2016, IEEE Senior Member
- 2014, IBM High Value Patent award
- 2012, IBM Invention Achievement award
- 2012, SDM travel award
- 2011, IBM Invention Achievement award
- 2010, Gerondelis Foundation Scholarship
- 2007, Vodaphone graduate fellowship
- 2007, IPAM travel award
- 2004, Scholarship from the Greek National Scholarship Foundation
- 2003, Papakyriakopoulos award
- 2002, Tziafetas award
Compression of data partitioned into clusters, (Patent)
N. Freris and M. Vlachos, “Compression of data partitioned into clusters.” US 20130031063 A1, 2013.
Method and device for data mining on compressed data vectors, (Patent)
N. Freris, M. Vlachos and F. Fusco “Method and device for data mining on compressed data vectors.” WO2013160840 A1, 2013.
Recursive Compressed Sensing, (Provisional US Patent application )
N. Freris, O. Öçal and M. Vetterli, “Recursive Compressed Sensing.” Provisional US Patent application, 2014.
Distortion-aware multihomed scalable video streaming to multiple , (Patent)
C. Hsu, N. Freris, J. Singh and X. Zhu, “Distortion-aware multihomed scalable video streaming to multiple clients.” US8793391 B2, 2014.
Travel time estimation from streaming data, (Provisional US patent application )
S. Jabari, N. Freris and D. Dilip, “Travel time estimation from streaming data.” Provisional US patent application. Filed, Nov. 2016.