What Will You Do?
A message from Anita Farrington, Associate Dean of Student Affairs
Hello Class of 2024! At Convocation, our virtual welcome ceremony for first-year and transfer students, which will take place on Monday, August 31st, there will be a video presentation that will feature Tandon student life experiences from the past year, including content from current student leaders as well as our future leaders … you! Your education, your innovations, your future . . . it's all going to take equal parts determination, street smarts, and entrepreneurship — plus a healthy measure of heart. And that's exactly what your experience here will cultivate. We call that NYU Tandon Made.
We are honored that you have chosen to attend our school, and we look forward to you and your classmates going on to be successful inventors, engineers, and entrepreneurs.
To that end, we would like you to be a part of this video tradition. We are asking that you upload a short video clip of yourself answering the following question: “What Will You Do?” Consider your answer carefully in the context of being a brand-new first-year or transfer student on an important threshold. How will you make your time within this new community and after you graduate count? Your response should be worded carefully, no more than 25 characters when written, and the video clip should be no longer than 10 seconds. Write out your statement, “I will …,” on white paper with a black marker and film your response to the prompt. Make sure to include 3 seconds of silence at the start and end of the clip. We are excited to see what you will do, and how you will enhance the definition of NYU Tandon Made. See below for additional guidelines.
The deadline for submissions is Sunday, August 9th. Please submit your video online via our submission webform.
While we will not be able to feature everyone in this video, we still want full participation of our entire first-year class! All clips submitted will be utilized throughout the year in social media, so make sure that you are a part of this important tradition.
Video Clip Guidelines
Write out your response on a white sheet of paper in black marker or sharpie. Make sure it is legible! Then say your response into the camera … make sure to answer, “I will...”
- Your response should be no more than 25 characters long when written out.
- Your video should be no longer than 10 seconds.
- Allow for 3-5 second silence at beginning of your video before speaking and 3-5 second silence at the end.
- Upload your video to an online site (i.e. Youtube, Vimeo, etc.) where you can share the link with us. Please remember to make your video public!
How Can You Best Shoot Your Clip?
- Make sure to shoot from your chest level up, we want to be able to see your face! And hold eye contact with the camera.
- Find your light. Stand facing a window or a lamp, this allows for the light to hit your face and make you more visible. Make sure there is not a bright light overhead.
- Think about what you are wearing. Does it stand out?