Introduction to Cybersecurity
Understanding the modern threat landscape
COVID-19 has required all of us to learn and work in new ways and acquire new skills. And with an unprecedented mass movement to working remotely, understanding our modern cyber threat landscape through an online platform has never been more important. We’re creating a new online course to keep alumni at the forefront of critical topics like cybersecurity.
The free “Introduction to Cybersecurity” course is a fully-online, self-paced course you can complete at your convenience.
- Gain a baseline understanding of modern information systems and how they can be exploited and protected in practice
- Learn about threat modeling, basic cryptography, authentication, access control models, enterprise security, and system attacks
The course includes 6 modules that combine video lectures, reading, and optional exercises, requiring ~1-2 hours per module. There is no evaluation. We recommend one module per week for a total of 6 weeks, but it’s entirely up to you.
To get started, all you need is your NYU NetID.
If you don’t yet have an NYU NetID, you can activate yours following the instructions below:
- Activate your NetID at start.nyu.edu. (Please note, if you have never logged in to NYU Home, you will need to complete the activation form)
- Log into NYU Home at home.nyu.edu.
- Search for and click on [Card Name]
It is important to note that in order to complete this process, alumni will need their NYU NetID and Alumni ID (pre-2001) or University ID (2001 or later). Please reach out to email@example.com
View the full course syllabus.
Wherever you are in your life or career, there are several advantages to lifelong learning from NYU Tandon:
- Be among the first to hear about advances at the leading edge of cybersecurity from world-renowned researchers
- Stay competitive in a rapidly-shifting landscape
Learn on your own terms and while balancing work, family, or other commitments
As part of this exclusive pilot, you’re also part of a highly-selective group who will have a hand in shaping the future of alumni learning or Tandon. We hope that you’ll take advantage of the chance to be part of this new type of education, and give us your feedback on how we can make the course format and online learning experience better.