NYU's Alternative Breaks program provides students with the opportunity to learn about political and social community dynamics while becoming a catalyst for collaborative social change. Through learning and practice, students will explore the theory of integrating service, education, and reflection to create meaningful change in their communities.
SOEciety is the Tandon School of Engineering's Alternative Break trip. SOEciety provides students with an immersive service experience that allows them to better understand personal and social identities, while working to serve a community’s needs as future leaders in STEM. Through this experience, students will engage with topics of social justice and leadership while working toward becoming social change agents. Participants will attend weekly meetings and service projects throughout the fall and spring semester and attend an Alternative Break (happening over NYU's Spring Break).
- All applicants must be School of Engineering students enrolled for Fall 2017 to Spring 2018.
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Applications are due by September 8, 2017 at 11:59 PM.
- After applications are reviewed, selected students will be invited to sign-up for an individual interview.
- Orientation will be September 3rd from 10 AM to 5 PM (lunch provided). You must attend orientation to be involved in the program.
- You must be able to attend weekly meetings on Fridays from 3-4pm.
- You must be able to attend the Alternative Break trip happening Thursday, March 15th through Sunday, March 18th.
Applications for SOEciety are NOW open and participation is limited to 30 students. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions!