Frequently Asked Questions


How can I find what my tuition will be?

The university charges per credit. Depending on your program, you will confirm the amount of credits and multiply it by the cost listed on the NYU Tuition and Fees website. Tuition is charged based on enrollment, in which you only pay for the courses you are enrolled in at the university.

Can I complete the entire program, including examinations, online?

All programs can be taken entirely online, including most exams. Depending on your program of interest, you would take your exams using an online proctoring service. At this time, only Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering master’s degree students are required to take some paper-based exams with an alternate proctoring site. Our alternative proctoring sites are global, ensuring you can complete your degree from wherever you are in the world.

How much of my time will the program require?

That is 100% up to you! We have full-time students who enroll in nine credits each semester, and we have part-time students who are happy taking three or six credits at a time. You have up to five years to complete your master’s degree and three years for an advanced certificate. With three enrollment semesters (Spring, Summer, Fall) available per year, you are in control of how quick you choose to complete your degree.

Each course requires 5-10 hours, per week. The Fall and Spring semesters are 16 weeks long and summer semesters are 12 weeks long.

My undergraduate GPA wasn’t great. Is there still a chance I can be admitted?

Our Admissions Committee looks at each application holistically, which means that your work experience, letters of recommendation, GRE/GMAT scores, and statement of purpose are all taken into account. If your GPA is a little below what we’d like but the rest of your application is strong, it will still be considered.

Want more information about the application process? Look no further.

Is the GRE/GMAT/TOEFL really necessary?

The short answer? Yes.

The long answer? While most of our programs do require either GRE or GMAT scores (depending on the program and full-time/part-time status), these scores are looked at in combination with the rest of your application. So while they are not your entire application, your application is not complete without them.

As for TOEFL, all applicants are required to submit some form of English Language Proficiency. For international applicants, and those with international transcripts, the most common way of completing this requirement is to submit English Language Proficiency Test Scores, most commonly through the TOEFL (we also accept IELTS, CAE, or PTE). If you think you’re eligible to request an English Language Proficiency Test waiver, you can find one here.

If my undergraduate degree was in an unrelated field but I’ve taken other college-level courses in the prerequisite areas for this graduate program, can I still get in?

The prerequisites outlined on our program pages are decided by our academic department in order to ensure that each student is equipped to successfully complete the course material. If you have taken the prerequisite course in your undergraduate program or outside, please make sure to submit your transcripts and outline all knowledge in your resume or statement of purpose. Our Admissions Committee will take it under consideration.

Will future employers be able to tell that I completed the program online?

No. Unless you tell them, nobody will know the mode in which you completed your graduate program. Your diploma/certificate does not specify online and will look exactly the same as those studying on-campus programs--because the programs themselves are the exact same. That means the same gold standard of accreditation, same brilliant faculty, and same access to all the services NYU Tandon has to offer.

Do you offer any scholarships specifically for online students?

We’re happy you asked! We’ve partnered with a number of organizations in our Society Co-Sponsor Scholarship Program, which grants their members a network of like-minded professionals and a 15% tuition benefit on each of our online courses. You can find a full listing of organizations here. (Even if you’re not a member right now, we highly recommend you take a look and see if there’s an organization relevant to you.)

And there’s more: students employed by one of our Corporate Members are eligible for a 20% corporate tuition scholarship. Not sure if your employer fits the bill? Reach out to us and we can let you know.

For more financial aid options, look here.

How do online lectures maintain a high degree of interaction?

Depending on the professor’s preferences, your online courses will be held via webinar or live stream. All sessions, regardless of platform are recorded and posted for later viewing. Your professor, with the help of a committee and instructional designers, creates the course to provide you the exact same attentive, detailed and fascinating course material as their on-campus counterparts. Interaction with your professors/peers is done through the NYUClasses platform, video-chatting, and chat-rooms--both during and after class.

If a question struck you in the middle of the night or you want your peers’ opinions on a topic? Use one of the many tools we provide and chances are, you’ll get a response quicker than it’d take you to reach campus in NYC traffic.

What’s the difference between a Certificate of Completion, Advanced Certificate, and Master’s Degree?

Our Certificates of Completion are sequences of three courses that focus on a particular area of study. When you complete the sequence, you receive a certificate.

Our Advanced Certificates are 12 or 15 credits, and dive deeper into the area of study, usually offering you the choice of an elective. Once you complete the program, you receive an Advanced Certificate.

Our MS programs are 30-36 credits, and are much more in-depth approaches to learning within a specific discipline. They are usually accompanied by an MS thesis or capstone, and provide you with a Master’s Degree upon completion.

To apply for a Certificate of Completion, you’ll need to fill out the Visiting Student application. The Advanced Certificate & MS programs require the full degree-seeking application


I’ve taken some courses that might be equivalent to ones offered by my program at NYU Tandon Online. Can I transfer these in?

Each individual program dictates their transfer policy and whether or not you can transfer credits in will be determined once you are admitted. Check with your program's academic advisor for more information about this policy.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I won’t be able to attend in the semester I’ve applied for. Is it possible to defer to a later date?

Yes, it is! If you have not yet received an admission decision, you will need to contact the Graduate Admissions Office.

Email with your name, the current semester of your application, the semester you would like to defer to, and your Student ID (N#), NetID, and/or application number.

If you have been admitted, your tuition deposit must be paid before you defer. After you make the payment, follow the same steps as listed above.

If you’re deferring an application or admission that has already been previously deferred, there may be extra steps involved. Reach out to us at and we will provide you assistance.

How do I pay my tuition? Does NYU offer any financial aid?

Once you have determined the cost of tuition by looking at your tuition table here, you should then think about what ways in which you will pay for your education. There are many different ways you can pay your tuition from electronic checks, bank checks and third party sponsors. Learn all about them on our Bursar’s website here.

If you are interested in learning more about loans you can receive from NYU, you will need to speak to our Financial Aid Office.

However, NYU Tandon does offer two scholarships which you can take advantage of. The first is our Society Co-Sponsor scholarship. Members of one of our society partners can receive a 15% tuition scholarship on any online course they successfully complete. Before each semester begins, fill out this form to ensure you receive this scholarship.

We also offer scholarships to employees of our Corporate Members. If you are an employee of one of these corporations, please email your proof of employment to to claim your scholarship.

What is the difference between having an online degree and having an on-campus degree?

The only real difference between online and on-campus is how convenient it is to you. Unless you mention it, no one will know how your classes were completed. Online MS degrees offered by NYU Tandon Online are the same as their on-campus counterparts. You take the same courses with the same faculty and have access to the same resources as on-campus students. Your diploma will also read the same as if you graduated from an on-campus program and will have no mention of online anywhere.

Do I ever have to be on-campus for anything? 

One of the great conveniences of an online program is that you never have to come on-campus. We have our own orientation for online students and our own form of remote test taking which you will have access to. But it’s always important to remember that you are an NYU student, and get all of the great perks that come with that. So though you may never be required to come to campus, you are always welcome. If you are ever in the city you have full access to Bobst Library, free entrance to some of the best Museums, and any other Resources offered to on-campus students.

When is the deadline for my application? 

We have 2 types of deadlines. Our Application Submission Deadline is when you’ll need to submit the online application form, personal statement, application fee and your resume.

Our Documents Deadline is the date we need to receive all other elements of your application by, including letters of recommendation, GRE/GMAT scores, transcripts, and English Language Proficiency test scores (if applicable).

Applications will be processed after we’ve received your full application (including all documents), so we recommend starting early! Our website has the full list of dates listed here.

How do I take the GRE and submit my scores?

If your program requires the GRE to be taken, you will need to submit GRE scores before you receive your application decision.

Check out our website for taking the GRE.

Once you’ve taken the exam, send your scores to us through the ETS website. The NYU Tandon School of Engineering ETS institution code is 2668.

Do I need to submit the English Language Proficiency test scores? 

English Language Proficiency is a requirement for each and every applicant to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. If you were born in the United States and completed your bachelor’s degree in the United States, then you will most likely not need to do anything additional for this requirement.

However, if you are required to provide this proficiency, you can do so through an English Language Proficiency Test. Though the TOEFL is the most common, there are others that are acceptable including the IELTS, CAE, or Pearson PTE.

You can also request a waiver of the English Language Proficiency Testing by submitting in an English Language Testing Waiver Request Form.

How do I submit my letters of recommendation? Will my recommenders know they need to submit a letter? Do my recommenders have to be the same people I put on my application?

Your recommenders will have to upload their letters via the online application system, by mailing in a hard-copy, or you can upload the letter on their behalf. During the application you will choose who you wish your recommenders to be and after you have submitted, they will then receive an email prompting them to upload their letters to your application.

If the individuals you wish to be your recommenders change from when you submitted your application, you can have your new recommenders email a copy of their letters with your name and Student ID to the Graduate Admissions Office.

How should I send you my transcripts? What’s the difference between official and unofficial transcripts?

Official transcripts are sent directly from your university to NYU, while unofficial transcripts can be accessed and delivered by students. We require official transcripts as part of your application. To send them in, you’ll need to request that your university mail them to this address. They can also be sent in digitally to

Remember: official transcripts are required from all post-secondary institutions you’ve attended, even those you’ve taken just one course at!

I’ve submitted in my transcripts, but they don’t appear as arrived. What happened?

This may be due to a few factors. If your name has changed since you took courses at that university, your transcripts may be in our system but classified under a different name.

If you input the wrong address initially on your request for transcripts to be sent, they might never have arrived at our facilities and will need to be resent.

If your transcripts were sent in the past 3-4 weeks, they very well could have arrived and simply not been uploaded to our application system yet. This process takes some time as each transcript must be verified as official before they can be accepted.

Reach out to us and we’ll see if we can help solve the problem!

How long will it take to get an admission decision?

While most decisions are released 2-6 weeks after an application is completed, we can’t guarantee any time-frame. Our Admissions Committee works hard to ensure each application receives the attention it deserves, but this takes time!

If you’re interested in learning about your admission decision sooner, we recommend submitting your application early. We get an onslaught of applications near the application deadline, so the earlier you submit, the earlier you’ll hear from us.

Oh, and make sure all your documents (official transcripts, letters of recommendation etc.) are ready to be sent in when you submit your application, simply by giving the institutions/recommenders ample time to prepare.

I’ve been admitted, now what…?

Congratulations! We’re so excited you will be joining the NYU Tandon Online community. Go ahead and head over to our Orientation Page for next steps, and you can expect to hear from us soon!

Military and Veterans

What veteran program does NYU participate in?

Yellow Ribbon: The program is a provision of the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. Yellow Ribbon is a scholarship designed to help students supplement their Post 9/11 GI Bill tuition benefits. Please view the NYU Yellow Ribbon Program page for full details on this program.

Do I need to pay my application fee if I am a veteran?

The application fee is waived for US veterans, as long as you can provide documentation that indicates your service, and returning Peace Corps and AmeriCorps volunteers. In order to do so please send a copy of your military photo ID to to retrieve an application fee waiver code.

Do I need to pay my tuition deposit?

The tuition deposit can be waived for veterans.

Who can I contact if I have any questions about my veteran benefits?

If you have questions regarding your veterans benefits you can contact The Office of the Registrar by email at or call (212) 998-4280. You can also view the NYU Students In The Military and Veterans page for more information.

I am stationed at XYZ location? Can I enroll from here?

Yes. We offer 100% online courses. Just make sure you check the state restrictions to confirm eligibility.