Becoming a TRIO Scholars Tutor
How do I become a TRIO Scholars tutor?
The process to apply to become a TRIO Scholars Peer Tutor is as follows:
- You must complete a Tutor Application answering all questions to the best of your ability and submit the completed application for processing
- The TRIO Scholars Program Coordinator will review your application. Based on the application content and available open positions, you may be contacted to schedule an in-person interview with a TRIO Scholars staff member.
- Applicants who successfully complete the interview may be asked to take a qualifying exam for each course you have been approved to tutor.
- Additionally, applicants who successfully complete testing are required to attending a training session with the TRIO Scholars staff.
- If you successfully complete all aspects of the hiring process you may be offered a position if your available hours fit with student demand and schedules.
Requirements to Become a Tutor
In order to become a TRIO Scholars tutor, you must:
- Be eligible to work on campus
- Be Sophomore status or above (having completed at least 32 credits)
- For transfer students, have successfully completed at least one semester at Tandon
- Have a strong overall GPA (3.0 or above)
- Have high grades (A or A-) in each subject you are interested in tutoring
- Have good communication skills (listening as well as speaking!)
- Be able to explain material to a variety of individuals (not only technical students)
- Be willing to treat all students and team members with respect
- Have a desire to help fellow students
Previous experience in teaching, tutoring, or youth leadership a plus.
If you are a graduate student who would like to apply to become a TRIO Scholars Peer Tutor, please know that in addition to the qualities listed above, you will need to be familiar with the Tandon undergraduate curriculum and teach methods and, if necessary, be willing to refresh/re-learn introductory level course material.