Application: Process & Preparations
for medical school, dental school, and optometry school
Applying to health professional schools is a significant undertaking with many moving parts. Unlike undergrad, students do not just apply widely and get in somewhere. This competitive process results in less than 50% of applicants successfully matriculating into these health schools. The proper discipline and preparation is required for all interested applicants.
How to Prepare
I am a Tandon student and I think I'm prehealth! What should I do?
- Fill out the Tandon Prehealth Interest Form. Here you will gain access to the Tandon Prehealth Student Portal, get added to the Tandon Prehealth listserve, and more. Please fill out this form only once as it will be tied to your student account for Tandon Prehealth.
- You can also get an introduction from the NYU CAS Prehealth advisers. While they can help to advise you on extracurriculars, statistics, and general information, all curricula advisement and your committee letter application will be handled through the Tandon Prehealth Committee. You should also sign up for the CAS weekly prehealth newsletter: the Medical Record, while also monitoring the CAS Prehealth Calendar of Events!
- Understand and track course requirements for entry into the health profession of your choice:
- Review the general national prehealth requirements and their equivalent course offerings at NYU Tandon.
- Review the Tandon Prehealth 4-Year Plans to determine how you can fit in both your major requirements and the prehealth prerequisites into 4 years. Note: these should be used as guides and all final enrollment decisions should be verified with your departmental adviser.
General introductory information can be found by going to a NYU Tandon Prehealth Infosession, ran every fall term and geared towards new prehealth students, but including pertinent information for each new cycle's application process. Check out the FA21 Infosession recording for a general overview of Tandon Prehealth!
Visit CAS Prehealth
Most health professional schools require applicants to submit applications more than a year before they plan to matriculate and require, in addition to the completion of the prehealth course sequence, letters of recommendation, evidence of extracurricular involvement, standardized test scores, essays and interviews.
Applicants are expected to participate in the process and stay informed of application procedures in the following ways:
- Complete Tandon's Prehealth Professions course - PHP-UY 4000. This is required for all students applying to a health professional school and requesting a committee letter. We recommend you complete this course during the academic year in which you are planning to submit your health school application. Otherwise, you would need to complete this the final year of your undergraduate studies, even if you are planning to complete a gap year.
- Review the medical school application timeline or a dental school application timeline.
- If you haven't already, please fill out the Tandon Prehealth Interest Form. This will give you access to the Tandon Prehealth Portal, which will be your new one stop shop for all things Tandon Prehealth.
- Submit Part 1 of your committee letter application (CLA): intent to apply to a health professional school (Part 1) by November 1 two years prior to the fall term in which you want to begin your health studies (eg. for Fall 2023 matriculation, this form must be submitted in Fall 2021). Only students who submit this intent to apply will be contacted about filling out the Tandon Prehealth Committee Letter application. Note: you must first fill out the Tandon Prehealth Interest Form in order to gain access to Part 1 of the committee letter application. Both new applicants and reapplicants must submit this letter of intent.
- Submit your Tandon Prehealth committee letter application (application will be sent directly to those who submitted Part 1 on December 1st) by February 1 one year prior to the fall term in which you intend to begin your studies (eg. for Fall 2023 matriculation, this application must be submitted in Spring 2022). Both new applicants and reapplicants have to resubmit a new committee letter application.
- If you haven't already taken it, make sure you have a scheduled date for your health professional school exam (MCAT, DAT, OAT).
- Collect recommendation letters from references. The deadline to receive these is May 15 via Part 3 of the committee letter application, which will be shared with those who submit Part 2 by February 1st. For now, recommendation letters can be emailed to email@example.com. Starting SP22, your references will be able to be upload their recommendation letters into your Tandon Prehealth Student Portal.
- Feel free to send your references the Tandon Prehealth Committee Letter Recommendation Letter Request Form as a guide. It includes tips, guidelines, and requirements about submitting letters.
- Sit for your Tandon Prehealth committee letter interview. This will be scheduled only after the submission of your committee letter application. Only new applicants must sit for another committee letter interview; reapplicants do not have to, but can if they want to.
- Submit your official health professional school application. The majority of schools use one of the following common applications. Make sure to check with the individual schools you plan to apply to about what they use.
- American medical college application service (AMCAS) American association of colleges of osteopathic medicine application service (AACOMAS)
- Associated American dental school application service (AADSAS)
- Optometry centralized application service (OptomCAS)
- Texas medical and dental schools application service (TMDSAS)
- Submit your committee letter request form (Part 4 of the committee letter application) to Tandon so that we can add the committee letter packet to your health professional school application. There is no due date for this form as medical school admissions are rolling. That said, the earlier you submit the better as it can take up to two weeks to compile all the documents together for submission. This will be shared with all applicants who submitted CLA part 3 by May 15th. Both new applicants and reapplicants must submit a committee letter request form in order to receive a committee letter.
- Submit any secondary applications you receive from individual schools. It is recommended that you send these back within 2 weeks of receiving them.
- Continue to complete coursework, volunteer/shadow, work, take on leadership roles, perform research, do community service, etc. while awaiting interview invitations. Send updates to schools as necessary.
- While awaiting decisions, start prepping for a reapplication, if necessary.
Important information for reapplicants:
- Reapplicants must follow all of the above steps except sitting for a committee letter interview!