We’re excited to inform you that the NYU Tandon School of Engineering has partnered with Tutor Matching Service (TMS) to provide students and tutors on campus with a new and easy way to connect with one another. Tutor Matching Service (TMS) is an online tutor list / tutor marketplace that matches students with tutors for both online and in-person tutoring sessions. TMS has partnered with universities across the country to ensure higher quality, safer, and more accessible tutoring for their students and local community. TMS takes care of the scheduling, booking and payments to allow tutors spend more time doing what they do best – coaching – and less time worrying about the ancillary details.
- Exchange contact information and agree upon a no-show policy. You should tell your student how much prior notice you require before a cancellation, and should establish a late policy as well.
- You have the right to charge for no-shows, but be reasonable in applying this policy. Your student may have a good reason for missing a session, and you want to maintain good will.
- If you need to reschedule a tutoring session, notify the student as soon as possible to find another meeting time. Last minute cancellations will have a negative impact on your relationship with the student and affect your credibility.
- The Dibner library is likely the most convenient location for tutoring sessions, and has group study rooms available. Your student may request to meet in another location such as their home. If this is the case, make sure to establish a reasonable meeting time (perhaps before dark) and have suitable transportation to and from that location. If meeting in person is not a choice, using a resource such as Skype may be a feasible option for hosting a tutoring session.
- Try to talk on the phone with potential tutees before meeting.
- Ask pertinent questions, and watch for inconsistencies in what you are told.
- Meet in daylight, preferably in a public place. If you have a cell phone, take it with you. If you are tutoring off-campus, tell a friend where you are going and when you intend to return.
- Tutoring sessions must be kept confidential to protect the privacy of the student.
Become a Tutor