The Student Council is elected by students of NYU School of Engineering to serve as their primary representatives, advocates, and liaisons to the entire student community. The Student Council is charged with:
- Serving as the officially designated representative of the undergraduate student body and to advocate to the administration and corporation (Board of Trustees) on behalf of the student body and, when requested, provide student representatives to committees
- Coordinating major campus events in coordination with the Division of Student Affairs and enhance the educational mission of NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering by providing social, cultural, educational, and developmental programs, events and services
- Gathering and expressing student opinions on how to improve student life and campus activities
- Ensuring that students are fully apprised of all information dealing with the impact to their undergraduate experience
- Responsibly and equitably distributing student activity fees and student organization funding
- Working with other student groups to program college-wide events designed to foster cohesiveness within the entire undergraduate population
- Assuring that all events, programs and services offered by student clubs, organizations, societies, and other groups are open to all members of the School of Engineering community regardless of race, sex, religion, national origin, physical disability, sexual orientation, or age except as permitted by law
- Protecting the rights and responsibilities of the undergraduate student body and to work with other members of the School of Engineering community to maintain and improve the quality of education and social experience received at the School of Engineering
The 13 positions on Student Council are filled via an anonymous online voting process open to all credit earning undergraduate students at the end of the Spring Semester for the upcoming Academic year. If all of the positions are not filled in the spring election process, students may apply and run for those remaining open positions during the first month of the Fall Semester.
Nominee Applications are now CLOSED for the 2013-2014 school year. If you are interested in running for a position on Student Council, please read the instructions and submit your application if by 5:00pm Wednesday, 4/10/13.
2013-2014 Student Council Nominee Application (pdf)
Student Council Constitution (pdf)
Student Council By-laws (pdf)
Leadership, Committees and Working Groups in Student Council
The Student Council is comprised of four executive board positions; the President, Vice President of Academic Success, Vice President of Finance and Administration, and Vice President of Programming, and nine chair board positions; Treasurer of Clubs and Organizations Commissioner, Facilities Commissioner, Secretary Commissioner, Internal Programming Commissioner, External Programming Commissioner, Public Relations Commissioner, First Year Student Liaison Commissioner, Faculty-Student Liaison Commissioner, Student Resources Commissioner, each of which are responsible for various aspects of student life.
In order to run for a Commissioner position, students must have served as a Volunteer Committee member for at least ONE academic semsester. Student Council encourages any undergraduate student who is interested in getting involved and shaping student life at NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering to please apply to the Student Council Volunteer Committee. Applications will be accepted now through Friday, 9/19/2014.
Apply for the Student Council Volunteer Committee
For any questions about programs, services, and leadership opportunities, the NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering Student Council may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Major Events & Programs:
- Welcome Back Carnival
- Casino Night
- Celebrate ENGR Week!
- Love and What-Not Series (Valentine’s Day Program)
- Sextravaganza (Sexual Health and Wellness Week)
Do you have feedback for us?
Tell us what you think!