We are pleased to announce that applications for the Summer 2018 SoSC on campus program is now open. Over four weeks, middle school students will be on our campus engineering smart cities through experimental and hands-on learning. NYU Tandon undergraduate and graduate student instructors teach, mentor and coach their younger peers as they explore STEM content integrated across civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering and computer science.
Our typical classroom consists of 18 middle school students, two NYU Engineering instructors and a trained high school intern. Authentic STEM materials, like microcontrollers, motors, sensors and electronic components feature prominently in the program’s lessons and activities.
The Summer 2018 program begins with a morning orientation on June 29th and then runs July 2nd to July 27th, full days, 9am to 4:00pm Monday-Friday. On Saturday July 28th in the morning we will hold the Friends and Family SoSC EXPO.
SoSC will be held on our downtown Brooklyn Campus, at 6 Metrotech Center. Students who are entering 6th, 7th, or 8th grade in September 2018 are eligible to apply. All applicants will be notified if they have been accepted into the program or placed on our wait list.
The program, developed and taught by School of Engineering students, consists of four curricular modules:
- Urban Infrastructure
- Wireless Communications
- Demonstrated interest in STEM as shown in the required (short) application essays
- Available for the entirety of the program
- Entering 6th, 7th or 8th grade in September 2018
Important Additional Information:
- SoSC is free to attend
- Transportation, MetroCards, etc. are not provided–families must be drop off/pickup students
- Lunch, snacks are not provided. Students must bring their own food or have money
- Please watch your email around the notification date (students and parents/guardians)–if you are accepted to the program a prompt reply will be required
- UPDATED Application deadline: April 18, 2018 by 5pm
- Notification on or around: May 4th, 2018
- Orientation: June 29th (morning)
- Program Dates: July 2 – July 28th (no class July 4th)
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:00pm (late pickup to 4:30pm)
- VIP EXPO: July 27th (afternoon)
- Family and Friends EXPO: July 28th (morning)
Ready to apply? Click here.
Questions? For information not found on the website, please Email: email@example.com