We are pleased to announce that applications are now open for the Summer 2017 middle grades SoSC on campus program. Over four weeks, middle school students will be on our campus engineering smart cities through experimental and hands-on learning. NYU Tandon undergraduate and graduate student instructors teach, mentor and coach their younger peers as they explore STEM content integrated across civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering and computer science.
Our typical classroom consists of 18 middle school students, two NYU Engineering instructors and a trained high school intern. Authentic STEM materials, like microcontrollers, motors, sensors and electronic components feature prominently in the program’s lessons and activities.
The Summer 2017 program begins with a morning orientation on July 7th and then runs July 10th to August 4th, full days, 8:30am to 4:00pm Monday-Friday. On Saturday August 5th in the morning we will hold the Friends and Family SoSC EXPO.
SoSC will be held on our downtown Brooklyn Campus, at 6 Metrotech Center. Students who are entering 6th, 7th, or 8th grade in September 2017 are eligible to apply. All applicants will be notified if they have been accepted into the program or placed on our wait list.
The program, developed and taught by School of Engineering students, consists of four curricular modules:
- Urban Infrastructure
- Wireless Communications
- Demonstrated interest in STEM as shown in the required (short) application essays
- Available for the entirety of the program
- Entering 6th, 7th or 8th grade in September June 2017
Important Additional Information:
- SoSC is free to attend
- Transportation, MetroCards, etc. are not provided–families must be drop off/pickup students
- Lunch, snacks are not provided. Students must bring their own food or have money
- Please watch your email around the notification date (students and parents/guardians)–if you are accepted to the program a prompt reply will be required
- Application deadline: April 21st, 2017
- Notification on or around: May 5th, 2017
- Orientation: July 7th (morning)
- Program Dates: July 10 – August 4
- Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:00pm (late pickup to 4:30pm)
- VIP EXPO: August 4 (afternoon)
- Family and Friends EXPO: August 5 (morning)
Ready to apply? Click here.
Questions? For information not found on the website, please Email: firstname.lastname@example.org