Fires in modern lightweight residential construction
This ALIVE module provides the training for fighting modern residential fires. The firefighting procedures and tactical considerations described in this module are developed based upon the results of several prominent research studies conducted by Underwriters Laboratories (UL), the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the Chicago Fire Department (CFD), the Fire Department of New York, and several other well-known fire service institutions.
The learning objectives of this module include:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the hazards presented by the modern residential fire environment
- Define the hazards presented by the fires involving modern synthetic furnishings as compared to traditional furnishings
- Demonstrate an understanding of modern residential fire behavior of content fires and fires involving both contents and structural components
- Identify the structural components used in dimensional lumber and engineered lumber floor and roof systems
- Describe the inherent fire resistive performance differences between dimensional lumber and engineered lumber assemblies
- Define the collapse hazard presented by fires involving areas of unprotected combustible construction
- Describe the cumulative effects of the hazards presented by the modern residential fire environment on occupant egress and firefighter safety
- Define strategic and tactical considerations for fires involving modern residential structures
In order to access this module, based on your system / device requirements, please click on the appropriate link below. Android and iOS users should note that due to 50 MB app-size limit, the training has been divided into two parts.
Please note that use of LAN (wired internet) is always preferred for web-based applications. If you have low internet speed, you may face difficulty in buffering and watching the videos. Based on your system requirements, please click on the appropriate link below to download and install the ALIVE application for this module. Installing the application on your local machine will allow you to run the application without any difficulty.